Cheapo Roland Space Echo Pedal: NUX

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Cheapo Roland Space Echo Pedal: NUX

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:40 am

I try. I really do... well, sort of, but effects pedals (and sneakers/trainers :ph34r: ) are my kryptonite. Do I need new pedals? Absolutely not. Do I keep buying them? Yes. Not quite at the pace as before, but I still have wandering eyes.

I saw some thread on TGP wondering if there were any options for a person that wanted a compact Space Echo pedal, and it turns out that is a pedal out there that I had not heard of, the Nux Tape Core Deluxe. Nux makes all kinds of stuff-- I suppose it could all be tossed in with the 'cheap Chinese brand' but it seems pretty decent.

Seems like they aren't as well-known in the US compared to Australia and other places, but that's just based on some casual observations. One can only seem to get them in the US from Amazon.

Still figuring it out, and how to adjust settings when connected via USB.

Sounds pretty cool, and it has tap tempo. 8)

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheapo Roland Space Echo Pedal: NUX

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:14 am

yeah nux pedals are pretty good I've found, they pack a punch feature wise and sound quality ain't nothin to sneeze at. hadn't seen this one before tho
If OSG has tort me anything...

DWO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWO » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:10 am

That looks really cool. Are you still using it?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 am

DWO wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:10 am
That looks really cool. Are you still using it?
Yes, it's still around, but knowing that I'd likely take a huge hit in resale value, I'm not exactly compelled to move it on. I wonder if some other RE 201 people have tried it out. Beyond all the usual "it's never as good as the real thing" observations, I'd like to hear what others have experienced.

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:15 am

it would be wonderful to discover this could get close enough to be worthy of investigation.
on my budget (non-budget subsitence tbh) i can't justify having both a supernatural and a boss re20, and for my needs the supernatural does it all better. though some of the on-the-fly time-tweaking effects of the re20 (speeded up tape etc) would be a fun thing to have (not that this nux seems to have that feature). so am interested.

my only experience of a nux was the modcore, which i hoped to be able to use as a cheaty quick demo option to avoid firing up a whole pedal board every time i want to note down an idea. but none of the settings really went into the extremy regions i use mods for. for general purpose mods it's probably perectly fine (stereo too), but for a noisenik it seems limited, restrained, never enough.

but their build quality (metal enclosures, solid stomp switches) seems to be great for the money. so open to their other things.
i am an animal.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am

Bax shop in the UK is doing them for £49 just now, which has to make them all the more appealing if you think you need one. Personally, the last thing I need is yet another pedal (my Kryptonite too), but I watched this demo of it and came away convinced I can easily live without it (thankfully).

Nice Roland colour-scheme aside, the non-detent mode knob would annoy me, I think; it sure does on the pedal I have with that feature. Also,standard pedal footprint aside, I feel that my Dano Reel Echo covers this territory well enough. If it didn't I have a few other analogue and digital delays to choose from anyway (and use of a friend's Space Echo if I want the real deal).

Not pissing on it, by the way - looks like great value for money and sounds pretty good; I'm just relieved to NOT be GASsing for it.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am

I've heard good things about Nux overall. But some people say they don't last too long

I'd love to get my hands on one though
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:23 am

I have one. The mode knob does have detents for each position, which immediately addresses one of my bugbears about the Catalinbread Echorec. The core delay sounds are great. It does sound a bit "dry" out of the box, and you really need to get down with the PC/Mac editor to fine tweak it and get the best out of it. Lots of note subdivision synching options for the three heads. Modulation/wow-flutter sounds good, but I can see how some might prefer it if it got a bit more extreme. Latest firmware has added reverb that you can blend in, a la the Space Echo. Check from about the 5 min mark in the following video to see some real-time tweaking using the editor software...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_O6j5lfZc

And but..and but...

On mine, I can't use the dedicated mono out because it generates occasional random crashing/clicking noises. Scared the widdle out of me the first time it happened! This doesn't happen if you use the "other" stereo out instead...but that jack has a modulating clock noise issue which gets really intrusive at higher volumes, and bleeds through into the bypass if you use the trails/buffered setting. I recorded some video of both issues and sent them to NuX support, who I'm pushing for some kind of response/resolution. Maybe I just got a dud, but I have read of a few others with the same issue on the main mono out. If the problem's just with mine, and I can get a replacement with neither of these issues, I'd be over the moon. Eliminating these noises would make it an absolutely killer small-board delay option.

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 pm

My old bandmate had a nux chorus pedal that started whining when either on or bypassed.
I wouldn't use them myself but the Tape Core looks cool.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com