NPD: Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPD: Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver

Post by Paco » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:32 pm

It's actually really rare to find american "boutique" pedals here in México. The vintage stuff is out there, and with a little luck you can find almost anything at good prices, but pedals not so much.

Some days ago I found a Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver for next to nothing on the local ebay. The guy ordered it directly from PE some years ago, apparently he was trying to form a TOOL tribute band and he got all of the bass player pedals (I don't know or care about that). It seems that the TOOL tribute band didn't really work and he just forgot the pedal for years. He told me he never really liked it.

This thing rocks! I find it to be a great all around dirt pedal, actually. The headroom on this thing can make your amp explode, I'm sure. I quickly found the Wilco's 'A Ghost is Born' era saturation which I lusted for years. You know, the 'Spiders (kidsmoke)' overdriven, sharp as a razor tone.

It's terrible that Prescription Electronics doesn't exist anymore. I love that era of pedals, before the strymons and TC electronics took everything with them and put shimmer and a buffer on top. The Freakshow FX, Sitori Sonics, Devi Ever, SIB pedals, Zvex, Mellowtone, Prescription Electronics, etc. Those guys knew something, and they were way ahead of their time. Let's do a different post about that! :P

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: NPD: Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:01 pm

It's based on the old Colorsound Overdriver/Powerdriver. Very versatile pedal. Others in the same vein are the Throbak Overdrive Boost, Basic Audio Futureman and Skreddy Screwdriver. I think the RX is closer to a direct clone than the others, but all are great foundations, boosters, up to fuzzy Overdrive, with an exceptional EQ section.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:58 am

PE had that big box "Experience" pedal in the 90s, i always wanted one, they were not that expensive, even... but i never did.
(but i DID buy a green Sovtek Big Muff for $49.99 back then).

i also remember the original Klons in the USA. oh well.
anyway, cool that you found this rare pedal in MX (i´ll be there next weekend yaaay!). i once picked up an old Wells Amp "5 'o clock shadow" pedal for cheap (rare fuzz face clone) and was stupid to sell it for like 1000 pesos again. :fp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:35 am

I had an Experience. Should have kept it. They are selling for mad money these days. (I also had an original Boss Chorus Ensemble.) If only... :derp: