What is you favorite Octave Fuzz?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is you favorite Octave Fuzz?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Ss/bs buzzz with the octave switched out is a gnarly od/fuzz, really changes the character. If you want tweakability and versatility, that's the superfuzz to get.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm
I did really like the French Toast I had about a decade ago...but it lacked bottom end....cool pedal though.
That might be a reason I like it. I like that tinny nasal sound it has. I have a fairly dark/bassy setup and I can tell when the French Toast is on. It changes everything.
a total idiot jackass

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm

sessylU wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm
zhivago wrote:
I did really like the French Toast I had about a decade ago...but it lacked bottom end....cool pedal though.
That might be a reason I like it. I like that tinny nasal sound it has. I have a fairly dark/bassy setup and I can tell when the French Toast is on. It changes everything.
Many years ago a friend of mine was doing a sound engineer class. Her assignment was to pick a song and re-record it.

She picked Cherub Rock, and I got to be Billy Corgan for an evening. :D

I laid down all the guitars and when it came to the solo, I actually pulled out the French Toast and plugged it in. I had learnt the solo note-for-note with all the crazy bends, so I actually double tracked it (Randy Rhoads style, haha!).

When the huge bend towards the end of the solo came up, the French Toast peaked and then the note broke into a million pieces.

I remember sitting in the studio hearing the double tracked solo over the rhythm track and just going "fucking hell, I sound AMAZING!" :D :-*

Hmm...might need to pick up another one for old time's sake!! :D
Resident Spartan.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Yep, that's the type of pedal you need more of.

Unfortunately for me, I have those thoughts when I'm terrible blues soloz with a wah pedal.
a total idiot jackass

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 am

The octave effect on a Foxx Tone Machine is excellent, but I'm not a big fan of the fuzz sound - it's just a bit too harsh and one-dimensional to my ear.
The SuperFuzz (FY-6), on the other hand, is just a great, great fuzz (in both modes) - really complex and full. It's not really an octave pedal as such, but if you roll the volume down on the guitar (or roll the fuzz down on the pedal) and use the neck pickup, it'll give you a great octave sound. So I guess I'm casting another vote for the SuperFuzz.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't really use the octave features on them all that much, but it's probably a 2 way tie for me between the Caroline Shigeharu for a nice buzzsaw hard edged type sound w/ great definition/chord articulation and the Fulltone OctaFuzz for more classic rock type sounds...

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

The Shigeharu seems to have a love/hate reputation from what I've read in the past. I think I'm going to give the Basic Audio Super Fuzz a shot rather than building my own. I was thinking I didn't need to turn off the octave, but I really miss having a Bee Baa on my board for a thick, complex fuzz, and this box seems to do that w/o a lot of tweaking. I used to have some ZVex boxes, so I might try an Octane at some point too.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 pm

zhivago wrote:
This is where the MXR Sub Machine comes in. It's a Tone Machine crossed with a Blue Box.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Mike S wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 pm
zhivago wrote:
This is where the MXR Sub Machine comes in. It's a Tone Machine crossed with a Blue Box.
:o :o Man that sounds positively DEMONIC!!! 8)
Resident Spartan.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:53 am

I only have one, a Kimbara/Shinei Fuzz Wah so I'll have to pick it. Since I'm more Acid House than Acid Rock, I've never felt the need to buy another beyond owning a Perscription Electronic Experience for a short time and a slightly disappointing fling with a Roger Mayer Octavia.

The Kimbara, my lord, Kimbara...is meaner than a chainsaw mated to a pneumatic drill and about as subtle as a North Korean military parade and other than the Wah part being useless, was well bought at £5 some time in the 80's

D

PS i guess it's another Super Fuzz
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:55 am

zhivago wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm
sessylU wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm
zhivago wrote:
Many years ago a friend of mine was doing a sound engineer class. Her assignment was to pick a song and re-record it.

She picked Cherub Rock, and I got to be Billy Corgan for an evening. :D

I laid down all the guitars and when it came to the solo, I actually pulled out the French Toast and plugged it in. I had learnt the solo note-for-note with all the crazy bends, so I actually double tracked it (Randy Rhoads style, haha!).

When the huge bend towards the end of the solo came up, the French Toast peaked and then the note broke into a million pieces.

I remember sitting in the studio hearing the double tracked solo over the rhythm track and just going "fucking hell, I sound AMAZING!" :D :-*

Hmm...might need to pick up another one for old time's sake!! :D
Mayonnaise with a Fuzz Factory is fun. I know it isn't close to what he used, but you can get that just about in control sound quite nicely.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 am

zhivago wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm
Mike S wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 pm
zhivago wrote:
:o :o Man that sounds positively DEMONIC!!! 8)
Less glitchy too.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 am

I'll play because i haven't heard this one yet.

Voodoo Lab Bosstone. Took a chance on it about 10 years ago. Never heard one before that. It was a 2-knob pedal that was supposed to be like the old 70s Jordan Bosstone plug-in guitar effect. I was in a band where I experimenting running it into a Fulltone Soul Bender (Tone Bender MKIII). My god! It wasn't overly octavey on its own but it would just squeal and squawk in all the right places when paired with the SB. The SB was my base sound and then I'd kick in the BT for leads and texture, etc.

I also have a French Toast from more than a decade ago that always scratches the itch of the not so subtle octave effect. I even like the non-octave fuzz it generates. One day I'll put it in a metal box but I've been saying that since I got it and it still hasn't happened. :D
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:53 am
The Kimbara, my lord, Kimbara...is meaner than a chainsaw mated to a pneumatic drill and about as subtle as a North Korean military parade and other than the Wah part being useless, was well bought at £5 some time in the 80's

D

PS i guess it's another Super Fuzz
Very apt description. I tried a Mica and Sekova(?) version of that years ago after the internet told me what the secret Psychocandy fuzz was. Supposedly the Reid's was a broken FY-2 and not the FY-6, but after playing them I thought, this isn't broken, they are actually meant to sound like someone lost a spoon down the garbage disposal. Maybe the wah treadle was broken, because they never rocked it?

The Fender Blender sounds like an actual blender crushing ice. In the Key of C; push the buttons Crush, Frappe and Grind.

Acoasma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acoasma » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Sometimes I play thru dunlop octavio and blue box simultaneously. These boxes sound great in combination with big muff.