Using a DAM Meathead

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Using a DAM Meathead

Post by Chip Korea » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Educate me please!

How to people use them and similar one knob fuzzes? Does anyone use one cranked with the guitar's volume right down for their clean sound?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Using a DAM Meathead

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:24 am

My understanding is that the Meathead is a high gain Fuzz Face hybrid circuit, and that it wasn't designed to do typical Fuzz Face style clean up. It can clean up a little, but since the transistors are higher gain and the circuit was designed for more volume, you won't get much.

I like one knob fuzz and there are some in the Fuzz Face gain range that with clean up like a classic Fuzz Face will. I think the Creepy Fingers Fuzz Bud is one. The Colorsound one knob fuzz is a higher gain fuzz, but possibly less than a Meathead.

If you want a clean "sparkle" boost, maybe something like the Super Hard On might be a better solution than a fuzz? One knob, gets loud, crackle OK.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 am

If you roll back the volume on a meathead (or black dust/acid) you get some muffy grit but it won't get really clean like a lower-gain Ge fuzz face.

If you're building from a kit, mess with the input cap values and you'll get a different response with the guitar's volume. The stock value cap in the fuzzdog kit was too small and when I upped the value to match that in the black acid, it was much better.

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chip Korea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks for the replies (and an SHO is on my radar - I'm a big Zvex fan!)

I suppose my question was as much about volumes and levels - in practice how do you guys deal with the practicalities of a one-knob pedal?

The second - clean sound - question was actually based on my experience. I don't have a Meathead, I have a no-brand clone that cost £20, but it does clean up fairly nicely when the knob is at 3 o'clock and the guitar volume is down at 25%... I wasn't looking for it, but it kinda works and I was kinda thinking of using the meathead clone soley for a nearly-clean tone.

Edit - must experiment with my other fuzzes to see which do clean better

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am

As with all FF derivatives, amp interaction makes a huge difference to the fuzz's function (imo, ymmv). If it's a proper meathead then the (only) knob is volume and 3 o'clock is running it pretty hot into whatever's coming after it, but you're choking the guitar's signal into the fuzz by running that really low. You could try turning down the fuzz and turning up the things either side of it (guitar > fuzz > more pedals/amp) and it might work better.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm

After using them quite a lot over the last 9 years, I'm of the opinion that there is but one way to properly run a Meathead: flat out or near to it. It's something that, in my use, you build your setup around. Versatility, no. Beat you over the head with savage tones, yes.

To put it another way, I get things sounding right with a Meathead, then adjust everything else to be comparable. One thing that helps is to already be running amps really cooking. Into a clean amp, the volume increase is huge. Into an already hot amp, you get more dirt and sustain. I would never use one into a clean amp (just my own opinion).

This all be learned over the course of owning about a dozen different Meatheads over the years.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chip Korea » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:24 am

To put it another way, I get things sounding right with a Meathead, then adjust everything else to be comparable.
Makes sense - thanks.

One thing that helps is to already be running amps really cooking. Into a clean amp, the volume increase is huge. Into an already hot amp, you get more dirt and sustain. I would never use one into a clean amp (just my own opinion).

Interesting - My sound is above clean amps, the verge of break-up and lots of pedals... by your reckoning the Meathead really is not for me! Will bear that in mind as I keep experimenting, thanks.