How to get this sound? sustain pedal? Ultra linear amp?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

How to get this sound? sustain pedal? Ultra linear amp?

Post by Witchburner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:00 am

Listening to this vinyl, there’s a bass part in trying to figure out how they got that sound

I’m stumped

What do you persons think will get something similar

My rig is a
67 ampeg b15
70ampeg v4

I have a couple of pedals
Fuzzwar/ big muff/ ocd/ proco rat

https://youtu.be/HW-biyqcL1M

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How to get this sound? sustain pedal? Ultra linear amp?

Post by Zork » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Cranked compressor => Rat => Tremolo for the wobble => enormous huge badass bass stack, also cranked.
Who's the band?

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Zork wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm
Cranked compressor => Rat => Tremolo for the wobble => enormous huge badass bass stack, also cranked.
Who's the band?

Alright

So here’s what we’ll try tomorrow

Gtr > urei compressor > rat/ocd > Full stack

The band is jessamine // the long arm of coincidence

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Zork wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm
Who's the band?

What would a compressor do? I’ve kind of had this urei compressor laying around in a box never used it tbh

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm

trolling, eh? ???

sabbath 101. p-bass, cranked marshall guitar cab with ripped cones, standing close to cab, probably some rhythmic hammering on the body for the trem effect, up the fretboard, index and middle hammering. no effects. basic abuse. :D

forgive me in case i was wrong about the trolling aspect. ???
Nobody exists on purpose.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

trem might be achieved by moving the bass guitar a little (in relation to amp). minimal adjustment of position. intermodulating feedback.

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:54 pm

fuzzking wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm
trolling, eh? ???

sabbath 101. p-bass, cranked marshall guitar cab with ripped cones, standing close to cab, probably some rhythmic hammering on the body for the trem effect, up the fretboard, index and middle hammering. no effects. basic abuse. :D

forgive me in case i was wrong about the trolling aspect. ???

About the compressor?
G shit dude turned it on once never used it again

I believe it’s the la4 ?

I’ll get some recordings tomorrow

Got a gig on Wednesday
International noise confrence

Trying to push some air

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 pm

nah, the question in general... :-[

crank it up.

there might be ways to achieve that sound with fx, but it's cheaper and more authentic with a p-bass thru a cranked head with a cab and torn speakers. physics. believe me. fx might be of use in case you're only allowed to play at bedroom levels at the show.

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 pm

fuzzking wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 pm
nah, the question in general... :-[

crank it up.

there might be ways to achieve that sound with fx, but it's cheaper and more authentic with a p-bass thru a cranked head with a cab and torn speakers. physics. believe me. fx might be of use in case you're only allowed to play at bedroom levels at the show.

Myman
I’m trying to push some air

I got a p bass check
Full tube high gain amp check
Ampeg fridge check
But I only use the pro neo at home

Let’s see how this works tomorrow

I haven’t heard about using a compressor though?

Should there be reduction before the head?

Never got into compressors so I’m un educated

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm

naah man no need for a compressor if you crank the head up and hit the strings with semi-consistent full force. the pickups will compress, the preamp will compress, the power amp will compress, the speakers will compress, the mic in front of the speakers (which temselves do compress) will compress, the preamp on the p.a. board will compress, the p.a. power section will compress, p.a. speakers will compress, air itself will compress, eardrums will compress: no need for a compressor pedal. this only if you're allowed to play loud and if all band members and location/sound guy/audience are okay with it. really depends on context and what the band is about... how loud do you usually play? bedroom levels? rehearsal room levels? gut-wrenching levels? the quieter the "rock"band, the more need for compression. the louder the band, the less need for compression. the more consistent the playing, the less need for compression. compression is a rather easy concept. if there's any part of the chain (e.g., band members, f.o.h. guys) telling you to turn down below a level where you're allowed to push the equipment to the absolute limit, the more need for compression. for this kind of sound, it makes more sense to get a smaller amp and push it into meltdown... as opposed to super high wattage equipment where you don't have a chance to push all involved gain stages. this would only lead to undesired "hi-fi" behaviour. maybe talk to the sound guy/the band/the singer first? sound guys: might be the case he knows just how to get close to your sonic ideal. but i'd never put my bets on any kind of effects box, may it be be from a superduper boutique company or not... at least if i weren't know how to use it. but anyway, better not to use a compressor if you don't know how to use a compressor. some magic stuff might happen under rare circumstances, but that's experimental usage and it seems like you have little time to work it out. in case you definitely want a compressor, start with ratio 1:1, attack slow, release slow, and slowly work your way "down" towards 1:3, attack medium, release medium, always adjust "gain/makeup" to where it's the same perceived loudness as if the comp were turned off (on/off a-b). don't overdo if you want to remain any form of self respect. in case terms like "ratio/attack/make up" mean nothing to you, better to just play the gig and get acquainted with terminology/usage during rehearsals/home usage first. there's some really nice overdrives, like the fuck o.d. and the crazy horse, which will give you that starving, close to meltdown sound at low gain levels, pretty close to that geezer butler/neil young sound. depends on how loud the band is allowed to play, how they play... argh. 80% of it all is subliminal communication. aforementioned overdrives might be better suited for a totally wasted bass sound at low gig levels than a compressor. but anyway... listen to your gut feeling... do i need this fx pedal or do i wanna play that gig? might be the case that the sound guy is old skool and will drop the perfect mic in front of your bass cab, push your channel into the red, and finally punish the p.a. to the level where the whole band sounds like a several juggernauts in harmony... but who knows? depends so much on context and concepts, it's tough to give a one-in-all-answer. simplest of all answers: the example you posted (ha!) is the prime example of low gain equipment, pushed to the absolute maximum, driving the speakers really hard. torn speakers. no effects. everything in the red. i'd recommend a fuck o.d. or the like and adjust to preference. crank it up, man, you got good equipment already. hope all goes well.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am

Jessamine. Saw them a long , long time ago. They used a Rat if I remember correctly.