toggle to reverse effect order in a diy effect pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

toggle to reverse effect order in a diy effect pedal

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 am

Hey folks!
(to admin - if this is better kept in the tech/setup section please feel free to move it there)

I just more or less finished my first diy-effect-pedal. it contains a Range-Master-Type treble booster (it has this 3-way toggle to choose between classic, treble and full) and a Fuzz-Rite 60s style Fuzz (Volume and Texture knobs).

now I've to decide whether to put the Boost in front of the fuzz or afterwards. There are advantages (and surely disadvantages) for both positions so I'd love to include a simple switch to reverse the effect order.

Can't be to hard to do - but I just can't find any step by step instructions.
I'm surely not the first one to try this...has anyone of you done this? or has the technical know-how to tell me how it's done? a two way mini-toggle or a Jag-style slide switch (got a spare one) would be ideal for me.
The Sarcophagus from Black Arts Toneworks has this feature for instance. And I'm sure some reverb/delay/modulation pedals have it as well.

here is a picture of how it looks like right now. the holes for the LEDs have to be made bigger or moved and an additional one drilled for the new switch. I could also use even bigger knobs (like on the Acuapulco Gold - I ordered two of them)

(for those who want to know: it's an old Carl Martin Classic Flange enclosure that I've sanded down to raw metal) - I'm also working on some kind of artwork - but somehow I want to keep that Time Machine/industrial kind of look so it's going to be basic.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: toggle to reverse effect order in a diy effect pedal

Post by salty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am

I have done this using a toggle switch on a couple builds. I used a 3pdt toggle to do it. I don't recall the wiring off the top of my head, but basically you are flipping which circuit gets input and which gets output.

Maybe Google 3pdt effects order switcher.

If you don't find it let me know and I can figure out what I did and draw it up..

On one build I used a 4pdt and bicolor led' s to show which effect was first, green ofnrhe effect was first red if second.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 am

I'm not sure where I found this originally, but I've had it squirreled-away in my resource folder for just such an occasion. It's confirmed - I hope you find success with it! :)
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 am

Thank you both for your fast replies!
You guys here at OSG are simply amazing!

I'll let you know as soon as I figured it out!
Could take a few days as I maybe should get another switch first (I guess neither my 3-way mini-toggle nor the Jag-switch will do)!

Also dig your FAQ-Answers! ;)