EDIT: where to find cheap protective foam for pedalboard? build opinions about all in a line pedalboard?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
hangwire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

EDIT: where to find cheap protective foam for pedalboard? build opinions about all in a line pedalboard?

Post by hangwire » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 am

EDIT: found a good deal on a rifle case via craigslist so I am back to pegboard and case even cannibal the old one for almost everything, but It needs that protective foam.

Where are good local or very cheap online spots to get a big chunk [50.5" x 14" x I guess 2"?] of protective foam?

-------
old post below
-------

Hello everyone,

It has been a while, but my wife and I are toying with the idea of playing out live again maybe 3 or 4 times a year for fun.

I used to have a pegboard pedalboard I made using zipties to keep pedals down that I cut to fit into a Goodwill hardshell suitcase that I glued foam into for protection that worked great.

Well even though there was no live use in many many years I still managed to collect pedals :-[ :whistle:

I was able to get a premade carpet lined/lid removable pedalboard years ago in a cheap craigslist trade just for home storage... but I hate having pedals above other pedals on a board as I don't want knobs on the "lower" line to get stepped on/mis adjusted/damaged, especially in a live setting. At home I can reach over and give it a precise tap, but while playing live this is where I am concerned due to cramped stages and adrenaline fed movement.

SO... now that backstory is established... my question and need for feedback:

My default is to just build 1 long (or 2 normal length) pegboard pedalboards since I know it worked well... but I want to keep gear easily transportable for quick set up/breakdown. So 2 goodwill cases seem rather bulky and will fill both my hands so no guitars could come in at the same time while I am pushing my amp which has casters. I guess I could ratchet strap them to the top of the amp and push them while secured on top though.

but it makes me think of repurposing a different type of case, or even building a case instead that is like a hardshell guitar case but thicker as I have a green russian sovtek phaser that needs about 4" of height... but it over 40" long and just wide enough for a single row of pedals so like 8" . I can't think of a already made case that has foam padding that fits this size though.

- any suggestions for repurposing a case? I thought of a rifle case, but they are not thick enough for the sovtek pedal.
- I might be open to buying one, maybe with a raised and slightly angled 2nd tier to keep that 40"+ length down, any suggestions for ones that come with a padded transport case that are not crazy expensive?
- any people built padded cases for a self made pedalboard and have basic instructions to work from that have held up well and kept pedals safe inside?

Thanks for any info/opinions :D
Last edited by hangwire on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: need to build pedalboard(s) - case options? opinions about all in a line pedalboard transportation?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:12 am

I think you might be onto something with the rifle case. I'd never thought of that... SKB makes a rifle case (ATA rated too!) that might work. You'd probably have to leave out the middle layer of foam, or custom cut the foam to your board...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: need to build pedalboard(s) - case options? opinions about all in a line pedalboard transportation?

Post by FightingPlankton » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm

http://www.rondomusic.com/pedalcases.html

if you can build one cheaper i'll be surprised. I built mine using lumber from home depot and stuck it in a DJ flight case but I would have gone for a Rondo case if i didnt have a specific layout in mind.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

hangwire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: EDIT: where to find cheap protective foam for pedalboard? build opinions about all in a line pedalboard?

Post by hangwire » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Bump, got a cheap rifle case on craigslist and i like it. has wheels on one end and sturdy shell. But had no foam inside to protect and keep pedals snug. Looking for suggestions/options to find a local store or cheap online place to get some foam?

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: EDIT: where to find cheap protective foam for pedalboard? build opinions about all in a line pedalboard?

Post by FightingPlankton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Go to your local mattress shop. Not chain store. My buddies do medieval reenactments and get foam for practice weapons from this guy that makes matresses and couch cushions. They ask for his scraps and it saves him a trip to the landfill.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

hangwire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hangwire » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Great suggestion! Thanks!

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Just go to Walmart and go to the bedding section. They sell mattress toppers called egg crates I think.

Anyway I bought one and folded it up and use it for my pedalboard. Works fine. Virtually the same stuff that's in a gun case or pedal board

And it's relatively cheap

hangwire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hangwire » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 am

Good suggestion too. I have 2 possible free options for a scrap foam mattress manufacturers in my area, but if they don't give away scrap pieces I will look into that. In my old pegboard case that is what I used but it does not look as good as the grey case stuff, so I was going to line the "bottom" of the case with the old egg crate stuff and hopefully get better stuff for the "top" contacting the pedals.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 am

one last suggestion. i bought about 500 of these for a project and they work great for lots of stuff...and they're non-flammable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-100PCS-Magi ... 3298194528

get aerosol adhesive and wait a month for shipping and you're set ;)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm

If you don't mind that it wouldn't be or look like one solid piece, you can get cubic foam strips (used for insulating betweens windows and air conditions) at home stores quite easier, and not too expensive. They're about 2"x2" and in various lengths, but usually at least 36" long:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384