Pedals that are all kinds of wrong for you

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedals that are all kinds of wrong for you

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Even the suckiest crybaby can be made to sound better with a few resistor swaps and true bypass mod.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Will that help the weakness of the effect? I'm skeptical. But really, why do all that when you could just buy literally any other wah pedal and sound better?
This is an excellent rectangle

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

I've never plugged into a RAT and been glad that I did. I know how many legendary tones have been achieved with them. Whatever combination of my guitars/amps/preferences I've had over the years, RATs don't seem to work.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Will that help the weakness of the effect? I'm skeptical. But really, why do all that when you could just buy literally any other wah pedal and sound better?
I think most (if not all) of the standard ones from vox and Dunlop have room for improvement, and maybe boutique stuff like fulltone is just cheaper/more affordable in the US, but here it kind of seems like it's either the standard vox/crybaby or really pricey stuff.

If the effect is weak, upping the value of the 33k resistor might help. Castledine is the wah guru and I found his site really useful in learning about this stuff.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 am

Theoretically, a crybaby could be modded to perfection (I say bullshit, but we're going with theory here) and I'd still huck it down a port a potty where it belongs and give it a properly personal sendoff while I'm in there before I'd play through it. If no accommodations were available, I'd bean a hippie with it so at least it could do some good in this world before I tossed it down a storm sewer so rats could shit on it.

What an irredeemable chunk of metal those things are. They'd sound better if you took all the electronics out. Maybe we could drop them over Pyongyang and level all their buildings with them or something.
This is an excellent rectangle

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 am

- Never tried or considered a compressor, don't like the concept of it.

- Don't like pedals that make your guitar sound like something else, like a synth or organ. If you achieve that combining pedals that's one thing, but having it on a pedal seems stupid to me, just get a keyboard.

- Boutique pedals :k

For people talking about the whammy, there's more to it than tom morello or jack white. You can get chords to sound amazing with it. Also clean phrases with reverb can sound from out of this world and lush... if you are interested in trying the whammy, get past the tom morello thing and take it for what it is: a harmonizer. I'm sure you'll get some cool sounds out of it. Kevin Shields and Billy Corgan used it and they didn't sound like tom morello :) sometimes you don't even notice right away where they're using it, but they are.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 am
For people talking about the whammy, there's more to it than tom morello or jack white. You can get chords to sound amazing with it. Also clean phrases with reverb can sound from out of this world and lush... if you are interested in trying the whammy, get past the tom morello thing and take it for what it is: a harmonizer. I'm sure you'll get some cool sounds out of it. Kevin Shields and Billy Corgan used it and they didn't sound like tom morello :) sometimes you don't even notice right away where they're using it, but they are.
The Whammy first cam to my attention with My Iron Lung, where it's used most notably, in the intro on Jonny Greenwood's chiming guitar. I never did get one, though.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am

leokula wrote:
- Boutique pedals :k
I mean, if you're against mojo-buzzword-hype and inflated pricing, I totally get you. But there's something to be said for taking a good-sounding circuit (original Marshall Guvnor) and just building a more sturdy and giggable version (coz the original Guvnor sounds good but almost every part is in a race to break first).

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am
I mean, if you're against mojo-buzzword-hype and inflated pricing, I totally get you. But there's something to be said for taking a good-sounding circuit (original Marshall Guvnor) and just building a more sturdy and giggable version (coz the original Guvnor sounds good but almost every part is in a race to break first).
Yeah, absolutely man, I just don't like how they "evolved" to fancy hipster boxes, stupid names and ridiculous price tags, it's all very pretentious. But yeah, I'm sure there are some great sounding pedals in there, like the fuzz pharaoh from the top of my mind.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 am

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 am
leokula wrote:
The Whammy first cam to my attention with My Iron Lung, where it's used most notably, in the intro on Jonny Greenwood's chiming guitar. I never did get one, though.
the weird thing about whammy's is i've owned 6 of the fuckers and never keep them.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 am

I'm going to add to the group of people saying Fuzz. And second stevejamsecono's post about still having fuzzes around for those "just in case" moments that never seem to come.
:fp:

I quite like the sound of 'em (when other people use 'em), but NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. They just don't work for me.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm
I've never plugged into a RAT and been glad that I did. I know how many legendary tones have been achieved with them. Whatever combination of my guitars/amps/preferences I've had over the years, RATs don't seem to work.
Same here. I own a few but never end up using them on guitar. Pretty rad on bass, though.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm

cpeck wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 pm
...Pretty rad on bass, though.
UHUH :?
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.