who wants to help me pick out some new pedals? rev, delay, looper

Everyone needs a stompbox.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

who wants to help me pick out some new pedals? rev, delay, looper

Post by panoramic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:46 am

I've been pondering adding some stuff to my effects for a while. I need a delay, a looper and reverb capable of getting shoegaze right. As of now i'm running a solemate and it does surfy alright enough and i plan to keep that one for normal reverb.
Here's what i'm looking at :
Strymon blue sky : looks like an all purpose tank
neunaber seraphim I really like this shimmer pedal for some reason
EHX Polara : i like the big sky more than this jawn but this has reverse on it which i want to fiddle with on a better pedal than what i have now
Earthquaker avalanche run : i like a lot about this pedal but i've watched infinity videos and haven't been sold on it for some reason even though it seems to embody a lot of what i want.
EHX canyon : seems like a good lower priced pedal.
Memory Man : obviously if i get one it's going to be vintage and cost me a shit ton.

right now i am leaning towards to blue sky and the canyaon thing but if any of you has any alternate ideas please tell me, i'm trying to make the most informed decision i possibly can here : ideally these would be good for shoegaze and for ambient both. I don't want to contemplate anything out of the $400 range and if i get a blue sky that will dent me hard but i know they sound sweet and i tend to rely heavily on reverbs

looking forward to responses
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: who wants to help me pick out some new pedals? rev, delay, looper

Post by Harmoncj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:57 am

get a looper with storage options!

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Why vintage Memory Man and not Hazarai when you want reverse and loops?
a total idiot jackass

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:44 pm

sessylU wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm
Why vintage Memory Man and not Hazarai when you want reverse and loops?
i didn't even know that existed, i haven't considered owning one since like 1995. that being said it's really not high on my list all things considered

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:06 pm

I preferred the Flint plate and hall reverbs to the Blue Sky when I tried them side by side, though the latter offers more customization. The trem on the Flint is pretty nice too, and if you like both effects it's a decent value. For most of the last couple of years a Talisman set for long reverb following an Echorec was my main ambient/shoegaze setup, and that offered plenty of flexibility without being fussy. I'm likely replacing the Talisman with a Meteore (too lazy for diacritics) because I like what it does more than the Talisman within more limited parameters, but I may reverse that decision down the road.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:07 pm

EQD Dispatch Master would probably scratch both delay/verb itches and comes fully endorsed by the Shoe Gazer's Union. ;)
I've been using the DE7 as a looper and short, crispy delay before other delays. I like it way more than i thought i ever would. It also has reverse - which apparently, people who are really in to reverse aren't crazy about - but using it in line with other effects, it seems to do the trick in it's own unique way.
Future classic, perhaps? :ph34r:

If you decided to try a DE7, make sure you get or build an external tap switch - it makes it waaaaaaay easier to use for looping and tap-tempo-ing.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Have you considered checking out the TC Electronics Hall of Fame and Flashback pedals for Reverb and Delay? The Flashback delay has a looper and reverse as well. The new ones have a "mash" option that lets you do some little extra hidden stuff by holding down the footswitch with your foot. The older models can probably be had for cheaper.
parry wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:07 pm
EQD Dispatch Master would probably scratch both delay/verb itches and comes fully endorsed by the Shoe Gazer's Union. ;)
I've been using the DE7 as a looper and short, crispy delay before other delays. I like it way more than i thought i ever would. It also has reverse - which apparently, people who are really in to reverse aren't crazy about - but using it in line with other effects, it seems to do the trick in it's own unique way.
Future classic, perhaps? :ph34r:

If you decided to try a DE7, make sure you get or build an external tap switch - it makes it waaaaaaay easier to use for looping and tap-tempo-ing.
You mean DD7. Get it right, Parry! ;)

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:15 pm

tc electronics and me don't get along

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

The supernatural has fantastic plates and while no reverse, the shimmer verb is the best one out there IMO. It's ever so slightly detuned and gives a moodier vibe. The Zoom MS-70 CDR has lots of verbs (including the strymon shimmer) and delays, there's a dead on copy of the hardwire RV-7 reverse reverb on there and reverse delay too... Honestly, I think reverse delay does a better job than reverse reverb at gazy smears. JMO, though.
This is an excellent rectangle

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:48 pm

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm

For reverb and delay my experience is only what I have/have had but since I've gotten an Eventide Space I haven't felt the need for any other reverb type effect. Costly, sure, but if you're looking at the bluesky they're in a similar price range. For delays I prefer analog and my favorite has been the DMB Lunar Echo. it just sits nicely in the mix and adds dimension to everything. Can get wild if you want but also works to just embellish your sound. I just picked up a Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe but I haven't had it long enough to know if it's a keeper. So far it sounds great though and has a lot of great useable sounds.

For looping the Akai Headrush has always been a staple for me. It doesn't have a long looping time and you can't store loops but I just use it to make quick looping soundscapes or just to hash out multiple parts on my own and for that it's perfect. It also has digital delay which sounds fine.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 pm

My favorite reverb is hands down the Red Panda Context. Delay would probably be my Caroline Kilobyte, but the EQD Space Spiral is quickly getting up there too... Looper, personally, you can't go wrong with a TC Ditto. I have an X2 which is wonderful. I haven't heard any bad options at all though. Everything suggested is pretty solid for what you're wanting to do.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 am

I bought a BlueSky and didn’t fall in love with it. It sounds good but it’s too pristine. If you like that sound you hear all over the ambient guitar videos on YouTube, well that’s it.

I settled on the Red Panda Context as well. Great pedal, a bit less HiFi sounding.

If I was putting together a board for Shoegazey stuff though I’d spring for an Eventide Space and not look back.

I also recently got bitten by the itch for a Deluxe Memory Man. Not wanting to drop a lot of cash I bough the Xvive Memory Analog Delay, which was designed by Howard Davis (the original designer of the DMM) to cover the same territory. I’m pretty happy with it so far. It does what I remember a DMM doing, but I haven’t played a real one in over 15 years. There is also a 90’s Big box DMM for sale here.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 am

panoramic wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:15 pm
tc electronics and me don't get along
That's a shame. I have the Hall of Fame and might buy the delay too. It's very sturdy and sounds great. I had bought an Eventide Space and got rid of it and just kept the Hall of Fame instead. Waaaaay easier to use.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 am

I had a blue sky and a flint at the same time and kept the flint. It pretty much does everything the blue sky does without the modulate and shimmer settings (I liked both of those settings but never used them). It also does amazing harmonic/regular tremolos and you can place them before or after the reverb (which is cool). My favorite new setting involve a delay into the harmonic tremolo for lots of washed out fun.

My all time favorite delay is an EHX DMM (big box) I was lucky enough to have bought one years ago when they didn't go for the high prices they do today so I understand not wanting to pay up to $400 for one but that being said I still think it's the best delay in pedal form. I have it going into my flint (flint set to long reverb) and it's the best sounding delay/verb combo ever.

For delay have you considered an MXR carbon copy? I loved mine and it does the DMM very well (once you set the internal trim pots to taste). It's cheap, it's a small foot print and it sounds really good.