New Pedal Day: Jupiter Fx - Super Weirdo - craziest pedal I own so far

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Pedal Day: Jupiter Fx - Super Weirdo - craziest pedal I own so far

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm

The search for the right delay/echo pedal is a long one. In my old band I always had two on the board. a Ibanez DE-7 in Echo Mode for crazy feedback space sounds and a Boss DD-7 in the reverse mode.
But then after a discussion with my uncle about spring reverb he said something like "oh, I guess I have something like that lying around" he gave me the RE-201 space echo that he once was given by a friend 10+ years ago and never really used it himself.

I do love the sound - but even though I feel the need of an onboard solution because I simply don't want to let the Space Echo unattended at the rehearsal room and I honestly don't know if I'll ever take it to a live show.

so I tried to emulate that sound with the ones I had... but due to the lacking warmth of the DD-7 the DE-7 changed over to vocal section (alongside with the LF-7 it makes a wonderful garagesque sound - so at least no need for a Copperphone).

I like(d) the DD-7 best in the Modulation Delay Mode - it comes closest to the 3rd mode (I somehow always use that one) on the Space Echo. But still not really the sound I was seeking. I wanted usable Feedback Madness to both highlight lead parts and to go crazy with it. (John Dwyer/(Thee) Oh Sees came to my mind... but he actually even uses a DD-3 I guess - also no idea how he's getting these freaking sounds out of that box)

so I felt it was time for another delay/echo/whatever pedal.
Yeah, a Boss Space Echo would probably be the closest - but all the friends that have one need it themselves. second thought was Death By Audio. but none of my friends owns one of their pedals (just a Fuzz War Clone - and I got one of those myself) and they're still quite rare in Austria and also hard to get on the used market.
So I skipped through the various options that came to my mind and then I saw this: and exactly this video sold me this pedal! haha! another total impulsive buy :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibTjrAL0K8

I had to wait a long time for it to arrive because mine had to be freshly forged and also the printing was being optimized. now it's directly on the metal - no foil printing. And honestly it looks really cool!

so what is it?
it's a full on Fuzz (sometimes I wish its gain could be controlled) with a modulation delay and a glitch/feedback momentary switch. the volume output is enormous and it also gets out of control easily. it's way easier to tame with another dirt pedal in front of it (maybe because of the compression? I don't know!). also highly interactive with your guitar's volume and tone controls - and for the jag users - the strangle switch! also some of the controls go in the opposite direction as you would expect - and the knobs just have symbols - so in the beginning I never really knew what I was actually doing. 'till I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4knZrGf_g 10 minutes full of various sounds and a guide to the knobs! :-)

I am still experimenting a lot with it - but from what I can say now - it at least brings me a lot closer to those crazy sounds I was after - not exactly like the Space Echo - not even close. But an awesome tool to highlight my Lead-Guitar parts.

The builder Jupiter Fx has some really crazy stuff in his catalogue. Still small and doing it all on his own. But for those of you who like crazy noise machines you might check out his homepage or youtube...

CHILDISHGAMBINO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New Pedal Day: Jupiter Fx - Super Weirdo - craziest pedal I own so far

Post by CHILDISHGAMBINO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 am

Looks fun. Pretty much a better, possibly slightly easier to control Mid-Fi Clari(Not). Modulated/tape style delay/echo is really fun. I have a Recovery Effects Cutting Room Floor for weirdo modulated echos and Digitech Obscura for more options. I was looking pretty hard at the super-weirdo but it's very similar to the sounds I can get with the CRF and fuzz. Jupiter makes some neat stuff.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Does it have any relation to an actual Super-Fuzz?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:08 am

Actually I don't really know what kind of Fuzz he put in there. Would be interesting though...
I emailed him about a week ago 'cause mine seemed so much wilder than it appears in the video reviews. (MrExicane has a good one by the way - maybe you can recognize it in the video) but I still haven't gotten any answer.
mine sounds like it was on steroids - and in some settings it has those weird noise-tails... otherwise a great pedal!

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 pm

ZOMG

want.
that doubler sounds HUGE