Intrigued by the Caroline Météore

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Intrigued by the Caroline Météore

Post by Jestapali » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, I am intrigued by the Caroline Météore. Do you have one? any experience in a band setting? useful? any issues? I really like what I hear on the demos but no idea how it would work in a band mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsEZhwGUZ4

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Intrigued by the Caroline Météore

Post by Gavanti » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm

I got intrigued by your post and picked one up used. Currently, I'm using a Talisman for washier reverb sounds, and I like it, but I thought I'd give this a try. Once I have a chance to try it out with the band, I'll let you know which one I keep and why.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm

I had one and ended up selling it. It just wasn’t what I was looking for in a reverb. It’s modeled after the reverb in a subway tube, which is pretty harsh, and I found the reverb to be accurate (to its credit), but too cold and spiky for my needs.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm
I had one and ended up selling it. It just wasn’t what I was looking for in a reverb. It’s modeled after the reverb in a subway tube, which is pretty harsh, and I found the reverb to be accurate (to its credit), but too cold and spiky for my needs.
Based on the online chatter, it definitely seems like one of those pedals that works really well for some, not so much for others. I saw a number of complaints about the pre-delay increasing with the one of the other knob parameters.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 pm

That is not really very appealing to me as a practical thing, but I have pretty boring taste in effects. I do like the chaos switch, but I'd rather have that sort of thing paired with an analog delay or emulated tape echo.

I'd want to hear it with a overdrive/distortion in front of it before buying. It sounds pretty hashy all on its own in that demo.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 pm
Telliot wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm
Based on the online chatter, it definitely seems like one of those pedals that works really well for some, not so much for others. I saw a number of complaints about the pre-delay increasing with the one of the other knob parameters.
Yep. I meant to mention the pre-delay being an issue for me, as well.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 am

Gavanti wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm
I got intrigued by your post and picked one up used. Currently, I'm using a Talisman for washier reverb sounds, and I like it, but I thought I'd give this a try. Once I have a chance to try it out with the band, I'll let you know which one I keep and why.
Spooky. I'm in exactly the same position...just bought a Talisman, but considering picking up a Meteore. Would love to hear how you get on with it, and which one you finally settle on.

My initial thoughts are that the Talisman is very versatile, but a little trickier to dial in just so. From the demos, there's something really appealing about the basic character of the Meteore sound, but I get the feeling it wouldn't cover quite as much ground as the Talisman.

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:53 am

Gavanti wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm
Thank you Gavanti. I'm curious but a little concerned about the harshness that some forumers talk about (and maybe the predelay issue too). Looking forward to your "with band " report.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:23 pm

So, I'm a few weeks in with the Météore. It suits me pretty well, and I've currently experimenting with using it in place of my Talisman, which I had settled on after having several other reverbs (Flint , Blue Sky, MXR, etc.). The Météore is really versatile once the controls' interaction is sorted. It is also definitely a pedal with character. The pre-delay is there. It's a noisier pedal than the Talisman; I can hear the effect cycling when I'm not playing. Both of these things have been mentioned in reviews. It tends to boost the overall signal with either the drive or mix up past 10 o'clock. That can be a little disconcerting if you're not used to it, and I've found myself wishing for a volume control that I could set once and forget. All those things will be deal-breakers for some folks. However, it's really fun to hunt new textures, and the momentary feedback is expressive. It's musical and doesn't feel sterile, gimmicky (hello Afterneath), or like a layer of effect on top of the signal. All-in-all, it is one of the most fun pedals to play around with I've had. I had the chance to use it in band practice last night. I used to set my Talisman to wash after dirt and delays. Everything just sort of melted into it. The Météore is trickier to set for that and more limited in that it doesn't offer the sustained reverb or trails. I haven't had any problems with muddiness or harshness using it after dirt though—the character of fuzz and overdrive remained even with the drive set high. I preferred the darker setting playing by myself, but the bright setting helped it cut through with the band. For now, I'm leaving the Talisman off the board, but keeping it in reserve in case I find that I'm missing it.

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:23 pm
So, I'm a few weeks in with the Météore. It suits me pretty well, and I've currently experimenting with using it in place of my Talisman, which I had settled on after having several other reverbs (Flint , Blue Sky, MXR, etc.). The Météore is really versatile once the controls' interaction is sorted. It is also definitely a pedal with character. The pre-delay is there. It's a noisier pedal than the Talisman; I can hear the effect cycling when I'm not playing. Both of these things have been mentioned in reviews. It tends to boost the overall signal with either the drive or mix up past 10 o'clock. That can be a little disconcerting if you're not used to it, and I've found myself wishing for a volume control that I could set once and forget. All those things will be deal-breakers for some folks. However, it's really fun to hunt new textures, and the momentary feedback is expressive. It's musical and doesn't feel sterile, gimmicky (hello Afterneath), or like a layer of effect on top of the signal. All-in-all, it is one of the most fun pedals to play around with I've had. I had the chance to use it in band practice last night. I used to set my Talisman to wash after dirt and delays. Everything just sort of melted into it. The Météore is trickier to set for that and more limited in that it doesn't offer the sustained reverb or trails. I haven't had any problems with muddiness or harshness using it after dirt though—the character of fuzz and overdrive remained even with the drive set high. I preferred the darker setting playing by myself, but the bright setting helped it cut through with the band. For now, I'm leaving the Talisman off the board, but keeping it in reserve in case I find that I'm missing it.
Thanks for the report Gavanti. Mine is ordered and on its way. We'll see how it works with setup and sounds but I just find it too interesting to let it pass ... You make some good points that really help. It's funny that you talk about the Afterneath as gimmicky, I considered it for a couple of days but seemed like a one trick pony. The Meteore's havock option attracts me quite a bit and the delay does not seem too terrible at low gain (which will be my most common setting). Hope you keep enjoying it!