Dual Channel overdrive+fuzz

Everyone needs a stompbox.
idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dual Channel overdrive+fuzz

Post by idropinus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:28 pm

elektrovac wrote:... Or wait for the upcoming Reuss klon-type-circuit-going-into-rat-type-circuit artist signature pedal coming later this year ... (still undisclosed)
That would be super rad... But I need it now...

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm

DarnWeight wrote:I've just boxed up two kit builds into a single enclosure, and I'm really happy with how they work together. It's a Frantone Cream Puff into a Catalinbread Hyperpak.

The Cream Puff is in the ballpark of an IC Big Muff, but the tone control is voiced completely differently, and is really interactive with the gain level. It stays pretty tight and controlled, even at high gain. The Hyperpak is based on the Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama, but cops more of a barking Hiwatt-ish drive with the gain past noon. Does a good dirty-clean boost at lower gain settings. Never tried either with a JC120, but I've heard the Red Llama works well with SS amps.
Really like the sound of the Hyperpak. Does Catalinbread do something like this, but bigger and with more options?

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 pm

sessylU wrote:Something custom might be what you're looking for. MadeByMike does a great many dual dirt boxes for reasonable prices. Might be worth talking to him directly (check facebook) to see what he recommends, but defined overdrive/fuzz could be a Rat an Red Llama in one enclosure.

I have a stack of his pedals (all excellently made) and a few dual drives. I've an OCD/DLS (which probably isn't what you want) and a Dreambox (Dist+ and IC Big Muff with more controls than those pedals usually have. This has become my go to fuzz/dirt box).
Thank you, I will look up on facebook, but before moving to the "custom" side I wanted to see if I could find something that already exists ;D

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm

One of the great things about MBM is that he will do something "custom" for cheaper than what you might get off the shelf.

Plus, tweaking pedals so that they are more usable together. For instance: my ICmuff/Dist+ box has a mids control for the muff (invaluable) and bass/treble controls for the Dist+. He can usually do switches to change the order they cascade in also.
a total idiot jackass

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Deucetone Rat. The Clean Rat circuit acts as an overdrive/clean boost. The dual Turbo Rat circuits are also ideal for noise. Image

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

idropinus wrote:
elektrovac wrote:... Or wait for the upcoming Reuss klon-type-circuit-going-into-rat-type-circuit artist signature pedal coming later this year ... (still undisclosed)
That would be super rad... But I need it now...
That sounds pretty interesting.

I do love a Rat. If I were playing noisier music again it would be a no-brainer.

This is a Rat-derived pedal with a second volume, but it's not a true two channel pedal. It just gives you different volumes for the same settings.

https://www.eastriveraudio.com/touch-distortion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 pm

marqueemoon wrote:That sounds pretty interesting.

I do love a Rat. If I were playing noisier music again it would be a no-brainer.

This is a Rat-derived pedal with a second volume, but it's not a true two channel pedal. It just gives you different volumes for the same settings.

https://www.eastriveraudio.com/touch-distortion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like it, but I think that the fact that you can't modify the filter and gain separately for each one would be a limitation, for me.

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 pm

idropinus wrote:
DarnWeight wrote:I've just boxed up two kit builds into a single enclosure, and I'm really happy with how they work together. It's a Frantone Cream Puff into a Catalinbread Hyperpak.

The Cream Puff is in the ballpark of an IC Big Muff, but the tone control is voiced completely differently, and is really interactive with the gain level. It stays pretty tight and controlled, even at high gain. The Hyperpak is based on the Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama, but cops more of a barking Hiwatt-ish drive with the gain past noon. Does a good dirty-clean boost at lower gain settings. Never tried either with a JC120, but I've heard the Red Llama works well with SS amps.
Really like the sound of the Hyperpak. Does Catalinbread do something like this, but bigger and with more options?
They discontinued the HyperPak a few years back, but released the schematic, and even did a kit of it for a while. The topology is identical to the Red Llama, just different component values, so you can build a HyperPak using any Red Llama PCB.

Catalinbread don't really offer anything directly "related". I guess the nearest tonewise would be the WIIO or RAH overdrives (both Hiwatt flavours), but they're more amp-in-a-box type pedals rather than simple drive pedals.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:44 am

idropinus wrote:I like it, but I think that the fact that you can't modify the filter and gain separately for each one would be a limitation, for me.
Which you can do with the Deucetone since it's basically two rat pedals attached side by side in one enclosure with some extra circuits. I'm actually amazed by how mellow you can get it. You can get pretty close to some rolled back Distortion+-style overdrive on the dirty setting and the clean setting allows you some pretty precise control as to how much you're driving the amp. I actually find myself using it more than the Distortion+ when I want that extra bit of overdrive but without that Wipers-style Ge growl on the lower strings.

PumpkinPieces
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PumpkinPieces » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 am

idropinus wrote:
PumpkinPieces wrote:Since you mentioned noise rock: Death By Audio Interstellar Overdriver or Waveformer Destroyer.

You could look at an Earthquaker Hoof Reaper. The Tone Reaper (Tonebender) at lower gain is a great sounding overdrive. The Hoof is a muff but it is more articulate than most, you might get more clarity out of it in combination with the hoof reaper if you tweak the gain right.

Fuzzrocious a few dual mode fuzz/overdrive/distortions worth checking out.

The Hoof Reaper is beatiful, the only thing that stops me from buying an overdrive/distortion from Earthquaker Devices (while I love all the other strange pedals they have) is that I saw some videos about the EQD Palisades, and i loved it. Then I had the chance to try it, and man... I don't know if it was the amp or something like that, but I didn't like it at all; so I kinda have the fear that the same thing could happen for their other distortions, too. But, from what I see in the videos, it's beautiful.
Definitely understand the hesitation there. For what its worth I highly recommend the Tone Reaper, I had an older one that ruled. the Hoof is cool its not "best muff ever" cool IMO but it works well.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:38 am

Thank you all, now I try to give you some more specs:

I like to keep the amp all clean, and I'm trying to see if there is a dual-channel overdrive, which I can leave one side ALWAYS on to get the sound fatter and a bit crunchy with (but still defined, not a dirty bluesy sound), and sometimes active the other channel to get a fuzzy/distorted tone. Any other ideas?

(I know that to buy two pedals could be more simple, but I really dig the idea of a two channels overdrive on my board, so I'm trying to see if I can find one).

PumpkinPieces
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PumpkinPieces » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:09 am

EHX Germanium Big Muff? You can pick em up used for under a $100 real easy.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

PumpkinPieces wrote:EHX Germanium Big Muff? You can pick em up used for under a $100 real easy.
Mmm, it's not the sound I'm looking for, and I used a Big Muff for over 7 years, I wanted to change.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:18 pm

From what I've been told, The Ge4 Big Muff doesn't actually sound like a Big Muff. Have you looked at the EHX Hot Wax or even just a Boss DS-2 with a latching foot switch hooked up?

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:40 pm

idropinus wrote:
elektrovac wrote:Thanks. Yes, the distortion side is based on a vintage 1970s MXR Dist+, which works great as a crunchy overdrive. Technically it's a distortion circuit but the soft clipping characteristics of the germanium diodes gives it a nice break-up at low distortion settings.
Do you know something about its "Evil Twin"? It seems to attract me even more.
Sorry, I missed this comment. The Evil Twin was a 'non-artist-specific' version of the RSH, originally factory made in China as a cheaper alternative to the Made in Denmark RSH-03. It had internal dip swicthes to modify the distortion circuit for assymmetric silicon clipping, making it louder and tighter. It's been discontinued for a long time now.

About your pedal quest, I got to think about the JHS 'Sweat Tea' which is a tube screamer into some kind of JCM8000 Marshall high-gain distortion. I played a TS10 tube screamer into a JC120 with my band decades ago and quite enjoyed that sound. Never tried the Sweat Tea myself, I have to say, so I don't know if the distortion is great or not.