Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Grey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 am

Potentially very interested in this. I still have my ~2007 Sovtek muff but i'm eager to hear how close this sounds to the Big Green.

User avatar
Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Mike S » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 am

I swapped out my Tone Wicker Big Muff and several other pedals for this and an older Polychorus. So far, I'm liking it more than the NYC Big Muffs or the supposedly Civil War-based Bass Big Muff (which only sounded good on my Mustang when out of phase). I'm really curious to try the Ge Big Muff, but so far, this is my favorite Muff that I've tried.

User avatar
sea
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: virginia

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by sea » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 am

Mike S wrote:How does this compare to the Bass Big Muff? Is this just the Nano Bass Big Muff without the bass boost/dry switch?
To my understanding, the Bass Big Muff is just a slightly modified NYC Reissue Muff circuit. I know rumors have floated around for years that the Bass Big Muff was a copy of the Russian circuit, but that simply is not the case. In short: this is going to be a different animal compared to the Bass Big Muff.

User avatar
O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by O Drones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 am

Grey wrote:Potentially very interested in this. I still have my ~2007 Sovtek muff but i'm eager to hear how close this sounds to the Big Green.
Big Muff historian and internet Muff hero Kitrae reckons it's exactly the same. I trust him. He's tested it against the real deal.
Last edited by O Drones on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cherry Wave

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:34 am
Location: London UK

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Johno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:29 am

O Drones wrote:
Grey wrote:Potentially very interested in this. I still have my ~2007 Sovtek muff but i'm eager to hear how close this sounds to the Big Green.
Big Muff historian and internet Muff hero reckons it's exactly the same. I trust him. He's tested it against the real deal.
Kitrae? not seen anything on his website yet.

I did pick up a Deluxe Big Muff recently which according to his review can get close to most Muffs incl the Green.

User avatar
O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by O Drones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:09 pm

He's not posted on the site, but he's contributed to the Ilovefuzz thread on the new green.
The Cherry Wave

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:34 am
Location: London UK

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Johno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 pm

O Drones wrote:He's not posted on the site, but he's contributed to the Ilovefuzz thread on the new green.
Cool, I'd be interested in his opinion on the circuit, do you have a link?

User avatar
O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by O Drones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Sure ;) http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=14 ... &start=120

For anyone who wants the takeaway Kit said:

"It's not the Bubble Font/Black Russian sound, or another tweaked version like the BBM, BBM nano, and Deluxe Bass Big Muff. I compared it to a bunch of Civil War/Tall Font Sovteks in my collection, and this is THAT sound and tone pot range."
The Cherry Wave

User avatar
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am
Location: London....the one in Canada

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by shoule79 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 pm

O Drones wrote: "It's not the Bubble Font/Black Russian sound, or another tweaked version like the BBM, BBM nano, and Deluxe Bass Big Muff. I compared it to a bunch of Civil War/Tall Font Sovteks in my collection, and this is THAT sound and tone pot range."
This is definitely true. I tried one today and it sounded nothing like my bubble font.

User avatar
smallerthings
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 am

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by smallerthings » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm

mackerelmint wrote:When I can get a green muff with adjustable mids for $50 or whatever, I'll bite.

Fuzz star until then, I guess.
Have you looked in to the Foxpedal Defector?

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:34 am
Location: London UK

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Johno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:28 am

smallerthings wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:When I can get a green muff with adjustable mids for $50 or whatever, I'll bite.

Fuzz star until then, I guess.
Have you looked in to the Foxpedal Defector?
Deluxe Big Muff. Solves all the issues.

User avatar
smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by smalahove » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 am

I bought the real deal when it came out. I thought then it was ok, but a bit one dimensional. Iirc, I think I prefered the MXR Distortion +, but what did I know then :D

User avatar
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:10 am

smalahove wrote:I bought the real deal when it came out. I thought then it was ok, but a bit one dimensional. Iirc, I think I prefered the MXR Distortion +, but what did I know then
When I was 13, I had a choice of getting the big muff or the small stone. I was more enamored with the Small Stone and still have it today. Out of all of the big muff variations I have tried, I have found Frank the Anvil's take on the Foxey Lady to be my hands down favorite. Triangle muff with a mid boost switch does exactly what I need and want. He has a green Russian style pedal with the same mid switch that I may give a spin one day. for $60, why not?

User avatar
Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Mike S » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm

RuffiansFC wrote:When I was 13, I had a choice of getting the big muff or the small stone. I was more enamored with the Small Stone and still have it today. Out of all of the big muff variations I have tried, I have found Frank the Anvil's take on the Foxey Lady to be my hands down favorite. Triangle muff with a mid boost switch does exactly what I need and want. He has a green Russian style pedal with the same mid switch that I may give a spin one day. for $60, why not?
That sounds like something I just bought. It's a Muff from Basic Audio with a Mids knob. It has both the Triangle and Purple Ram's Head circuits accessible via a toggle. Unless someone tells me that the Germanium 4 is amazing, I think that this, the Green Russian and my Civil War clone are all the Muff I need.

User avatar
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by RuffiansFC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 am

the ge4 isn't really a fuzz. it has a bias knob that can mimic fuzzy tones, but it's a completely different beast. it's a decent pedal that is versatile. if you are looking for a muff, this isn't the one.

Post Reply