Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Anybody here using one? I'm curious.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DigiTech Luxe?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 06, 2017 10:21 am

Anyone?

Found a bass demo the other day, and now I'm more intrigued. It seems to color the sound a lot less and suck a lot less low end than a traditional chorus.

My idea is to have this on a second small board that's designed more for use with a clean amp and bass use every once in a while. I'm hoping to just go with a 1 Spot or similar for power though for simplicity/budget reasons. Maybe this is too power hungry for that?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 am

Haven't even heard of that, but I'll have to go check it out.

I'm leaning toward their Freqout pedal myself.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 am

I tried one the other day. It has a few cool sounds in it, but there's an artificial quality to it as you raise the level, and once you get past 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock on the detune it sounds shitty. Was not impressed with it on bass. There seem to be some phase issues that accentuate some notes and suck out others. Also there was a lot of switch noise with the setup I was testing with.

I tried an MXR Analog Chorus also, and liked it much better.

For now I'm using a modulated setting on my HOF Mini (the Steve Vai one believe it or not) that gets me into Johnny Marr territory, so my chorus search is on hold. I love a good chorus sound, but it's an effect I tire of easily, so free is good.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Yeah, sometimes their stuff has that artificial quality about it, but some of their stuff can be cool. The Freqout seems a little gimmicky, which I find they do a lot, but it's a cool gimmicky and I'm kind of jonesing to try it, but of course then I'll have to buy it, so I'm trying to wait a bit.

I'm not a giant fan of chorus, but I think it's good in the right context and when it's done right. I have an older EHX Clone, and my TC Nova Mod has lots of different chorus on it (along with many other things), but I use phaser and flanger (subtly) much more often than chorus.

I find that TC makes some pretty good stuff, I'm really glad the HOF is working for you. Interesting that a Vai pedal has that, but I haven't really listened to anything he's done in years. I just bought one of TC's Ditto X2 pedals and I'm pretty happy with it. I got it to replace an Akai Headrush 2 for looping rhythm guitar, which is pretty limited time-wise but still somewhat usable, and I'm using a Boss RC-2 (or whatever the older single pedal is) for the drum samples to loop some bass lines with to get a "band" feel.

I agree, free (or already paid for) is almost as good as getting a new pedal - sometimes better due to the disappointment that some pedals bring, that can really take the air out of your excitement. Lately I've been trying to rotate in some older pedals that I haven't used in many years with some new ones, on a board I'm using for 2 smaller, quieter (10w ss) amps to play late at night, and I'm kind of digging the new/re-found sounds and the fact that they're actually getting some use again. I was trying to convince myself to sell them, but I didn't think I'd get anything near what I would consider "worth it", so I've decided to keep most of them. The only other one I'm on the fence about is a Digitech/DOD PDS 1700 chorus/flange, it's in nice shape for its age but I think someone that knows what they're doing may need to give it a little love in a couple of places, it seemed a little glitchy last time I checked it out.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.