Does This Exist?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Does This Exist?

Post by InLimbo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey guys, so I've got pretty much the pedal thing covered with the exception of one major sound that I've been messing around with lately, one that I realize that I have to have, which is a wow & flutter.

That catch is that it needs to have stereo inputs and stereo outputs (my board before amps is in stereo, and I don't want to sum it then). I also don't want the effect in the middle of my board because I want my reverb and delay trails to be impacted by it.

Essentially, what I want is an Instant Lo-fi Junky, but in stereo. Are there any pedals that do this? The Strymon Deco or El Capistan look like the closest thing, but I can't find enough confidence in the videos online.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does This Exist?

Post by Firecat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but maybe a Line 6 Echo Park? It has wow and flutter, the tape mode sounds nice and it does weird stuff :)

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Yeah, the Deco was the first thing that came to my mind.
This is an excellent rectangle

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 am

Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl maybe?

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 am

I used a strymon el cap as a tape filter with the delay all the way down and mix/wow and flutter/tape crinkle all the way up for years and it made everything sound like this song (the secret ingredient in most of this guy's music is the el cap)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Rm25-F9LQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yeah, on paper it's stereo in/out but in reality it only does stereo out on the clean signal, the effected signal is always mono (i can't remember if it's summed or if it's just the left channel) and I'm pretty sure the deco is the same (ironically doesn't do the effect as well as the el cap for a "tape filter" pedal)

I ended up getting bored of the effect but i do miss it and if anyone finds a pedal that does the same thing as the el cap that's stereo and under $300 I'd probably get one.

There's a few pedal makers that do similar things, (also not stereo afaik) like the cooper fx generation loss and the chase bliss warped vinyl/tonal recall but they don't really have the same flavour as the el cap.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 am

^^^
Is there any kind of latency when you used the El Capistan that way? That was one of my concerns when using it. Also, it seems that inside of the box, there is a jumper that allows you to use a TRS cable for stereo input. Are you saying this still sums them when using that function?

I'm not too concerned if the effect itself has a stereo effect, but what I don't want is my ping pong delay before the El Cap to disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 pm

EHX Stereo Polychorus?

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:23 pm

InLimbo wrote:^^^
Is there any kind of latency when you used the El Capistan that way? That was one of my concerns when using it. Also, it seems that inside of the box, there is a jumper that allows you to use a TRS cable for stereo input. Are you saying this still sums them when using that function?

I'm not too concerned if the effect itself has a stereo effect, but what I don't want is my ping pong delay before the El Cap to disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Yeah, I had the v2 with the stereo switch inside and all it does is change if the input is stereo or not. I was putting a stereo signal into it with the mix all the way up and wondering why it was still in mono and after taking it apart, changing the switch and putting it back together and i turned the mix knob down and surprise it was back in stereo.
i looked it up later and the effected signal is only in mono (still don't remember if it's summed or just the left track), i.e if you were using it as a tape filter you would lose your ping pong delay, but if you had it turned off it would go through the pedal fine

For latency when I used it in multi/c mode it's barely noticeable that there's latency and you get used to it after a minute of playing. there's a few settings where you can get more dramatic tape crinkle but theres more latency than i would have liked.

another thing is that even with the high pass/low pass off it's still a pretty dramatic change in eq, sounds very pretty on a clean signal but makes fuzz sound rly thin but also dark in a way that makes it really hard to get it to work in a mix

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

I'll need to play around with this, but I think the the EHX Stereo Polychorus XO can do this on the Double Track and Filter Matrix settings, with the Sweep Filter knob controlling the intensity. I'm not sure how the original Polychorus compares, but I'm sure it's fine too. The Echo Flanger, which was very similar has a direct out and effect out so I'm not sure if it's the kind stereo effect you are looking for. I hear those things were really fragile too.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 am

dylanafghjkl wrote:Yeah, I had the v2 with the stereo switch inside and all it does is change if the input is stereo or not. I was putting a stereo signal into it with the mix all the way up and wondering why it was still in mono and after taking it apart, changing the switch and putting it back together and i turned the mix knob down and surprise it was back in stereo.
i looked it up later and the effected signal is only in mono (still don't remember if it's summed or just the left track), i.e if you were using it as a tape filter you would lose your ping pong delay, but if you had it turned off it would go through the pedal fine

For latency when I used it in multi/c mode it's barely noticeable that there's latency and you get used to it after a minute of playing. there's a few settings where you can get more dramatic tape crinkle but theres more latency than i would have liked.

another thing is that even with the high pass/low pass off it's still a pretty dramatic change in eq, sounds very pretty on a clean signal but makes fuzz sound rly thin but also dark in a way that makes it really hard to get it to work in a mix
Thanks man. I appreciate the feedback, and I think you saved me some hassle because I was quite close to pulling the trigger on one of those.

Mike S, let me know what you find out.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, which is guitar > pedalboard > I/O > Ableton with Waves J37 plug-in > amps. Definitely achieves the goal, but a little impractical.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Mon May 01, 2017 6:13 pm

InLimbo wrote:Mike S, let me know what you find out.
I think you should try it out and that you'll probably like what you hear. In case you've never tried it, it's a very weird analog pedal featuring a combination of different guitar and tape effects. It has echo/delay, slap back, double tracking, vibrato, chorus, flange and weird, metallic ring modulation capabilities that I've otherwise only been able to achieve with a Super Fuzz.
From messing around with it more, I think a flutter or wow effect with delay can be accomplished by varying the delay time and sweep rate on the double track, chorus and flange settings with the sweep filter switch affecting the intensity. Both outputs are wet so the stereo is there. The draw back is that it's not cheap and isn't battery operated.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 am

Looking at the box itself, the single input worries me. Looking at EHXs site and their manual PDF I don't see anything about being able to (or not being able to) use a TRS. I really need stereo ins and outs.