Any feedback on Noisemaker Effets?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Any feedback on Noisemaker Effets?

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 am

Hi,

I saw on reverb this nice looking stompbox. Despite the fact I'm a super fan of Sonic Youth, it might be super usefull to have a all in one pedal, the only consern it's I've never heard off this company.

https://reverb.com/item/2610412-noisema ... 6-aluminum

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any feedback on Noisemaker Effets?

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 am

They also have/had a Loveless pedal for My Bloody Valentine-- which was generally pilloried around OSG.

I mean, you'd think with a SY and a MBV pedal they'd be the cat's meow around here, but those types of all-in-one pedals never seem to please the biggest fans. Why? The 'fans' usually understand just what it took to get the crazy tones of their favorite players on their seminal albums, and it's almost NEVER some handy-dandy all-in-one pedal.

To me, those pedals are more for the (dreaded) 'casual' fans that don't know any better, but in these days of hipster backlash and anti-whatever-you-like maybe you can get some cool sound out of it.

...But what about playing that modded guitar with the crazy tunings and string gauges with a drum stick into a blown amp painted with the special artwork?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 am

It's hard to review a pedal like that, because with so many individual parts, and so many potential interactions, it's easy to miss the "sweet spots" that you might find with extensive tweaking.

It sounds like a good idea, but the kinds of people who love all these effects tend to love to obsess over the selection of each individual pedal and the order they're put in. If you believe in the practicality of multi-effects pedals as opposed to individual analog pedals, something like the Line6 M9 isn't far off price-wise, but offers far more flexibility in terms of available tones.

It's kind of stuck in a middle ground between better-sounding individual analog pedals and more-versatile multi-FX.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:35 pm

You two are certainly right.
I thaught it was cool looking and might be usefull for rehearsal since you have a sort tiny pedal board with this. But after reading your comments I'll probably stick with my pedal board and save money for more effects :P

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
...But what about playing that modded guitar with the crazy tunings and string gauges with a drum stick into a blown amp painted with the special artwork?
I'd love to but I think the singer of my band will kills me, he's more into nick cave or tom waits kind of things

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Nick Cave - Blixa's standard tuning was DADAAD for most of the songs, and Rowland used some weird stuff for effects (MXR blue box octave fuzz). And Warren Ellis uses even more weird pedals: https://www.reusseffects.com/products/muzzbomb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I generally don't like multi effects because I like to mess around with what comes first in the signal chain and I think that this is the approach to get that extra special tone. That "unheard" thing.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:30 pm

True, messing with the signal chain is a part of the fun and helps you to find your signature tone. But as I live in Paris I'm going to the rehearsal with the subway and some times it's a real pain in the a** to cary and extensive pedalboard plus your guitar. So this all in one box was tempting.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I've been tempted by their kid a pedal to use as a quick grab and go solution. Fuzz plus delay is usually all I bring when space is a premium and if I'm completely honest it's all I really need if I'm not playing something that requires specific sounds.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 am

Yep, the kidA is the first pedal of the company I saw. to bad there is so few sound clip about these pedals because if you had shipping + taxes, especialy in my case, it's not cheap anymore....

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

I bought a Nebula Delay/Reverb a few years ago. It sucked. Basic DIY Delay and reverb circuit on veroboard. The delay was okay, the reverb wasn't really reverb. For the price it was okay, but seriously oversold.

It used substandard components as well - like cheap plastic jacks. Again, for the price that was fair, it none of that was really clear up front.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 am

thedude99 wrote:I bought a Nebula Delay/Reverb a few years ago. It sucked. Basic DIY Delay and reverb circuit on veroboard. The delay was okay, the reverb wasn't really reverb. For the price it was okay, but seriously oversold.

It used substandard components as well - like cheap plastic jacks. Again, for the price that was fair, it none of that was really clear up front.
It's amazing how many people these days are taking basic DIY effects kits, putting in some fancy graphics and marketing, and selling them at a huge margin. I could probably dig up the basic pedal clones I wired up when I was a teenager and sell them as boutique one-offs by a mystic tone wizard who sold only through word-of-mouth before being assassinated by a Z.Vex-Lovepedal-Klon coalition...
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:02 am

thedude99 wrote:I bought a Nebula Delay/Reverb a few years ago. It sucked. Basic DIY Delay and reverb circuit on veroboard. The delay was okay, the reverb wasn't really reverb. For the price it was okay, but seriously oversold.

thanks for your feedback. Now, I know why the price tag is low (that's lots of ow in a same sentence :P)
I'll save my money for others pedals, I don't want a multi effects loaded with crappy tone.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 am

mbene085 wrote:
It's amazing how many people these days are taking basic DIY effects kits, putting in some fancy graphics and marketing, and selling them at a huge margin. I could probably dig up the basic pedal clones I wired up when I was a teenager and sell them as boutique one-offs by a mystic tone wizard who sold only through word-of-mouth before being assassinated by a Z.Vex-Lovepedal-Klon coalition...
It reminds me the story of the vexter axis wha. The guy just bought cheap bbe wha did some cosmetic changes and sold it with a higher price tag.
https://reverb.com/fr/news/vertex-effec ... marangella

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am

One other thing that wasn't apparent is that the artwork was a cheap, washed out ink jet sticker.

That said, I still think it was a fair price point at the time, just not totally clear up front what you were getting for that price.

CrookedRainJr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CrookedRainJr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 pm

I had an original version of the Nebula, but it wasn't too good. Delay was okay, reverb was just awful, and the two together was just too washy.

Always wanted to try a Crush or Pompeii, though.