Any feedback on Noisemaker Effets?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any feedback on Noisemaker Effets?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm always a little wary of companies like this that are obviously small but have a zillion models. Why not just focus on a few things and do them really well? You're not going to beat the big guys at reverb and delay.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 am

marqueemoon wrote:You're not going to beat the big guys at reverb and delay.
It depends, JAM Pedals or Diamond are not really what I'm calling big company, but they both suceed to build great sounding delays. Although it was analog delay, maybe it's too complicated for a small business to venture in the world of digital effects.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 am

Good point. Digital delay is really what I meant.

There are some good brick-based reverbs out there too.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 am

I have a "Plus" pedal from Noisemaker. I'm very happy with it. It sounds great and is my mainstay overdrive. It was less than buying a current MXR Dist+ as well. I am not a Distortion+ expert so maybe there's fifteen better clones out there, but I'm very content with what I got.

I do believe Noisemaker's founder used to be a member here on OSG, by the way.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 am

thenewromance wrote:I do believe Noisemaker's founder used to be a member here on OSG, by the way.
I wonder if we chased him off. :-[

Also, where is his Dino Jr pedal to complete the OSG Holy Trinity?

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 am

Dinosaur Jr. pedal would be nothing any Dinosaur Jr. fan would buy if it wasn't the size of a football field ;)
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 am

Jaguar018 wrote: I wonder if we chased him off.
Me to :(

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon May 01, 2017 6:23 am

higgsblossom wrote:Dinosaur Jr. pedal would be nothing any Dinosaur Jr. fan would buy if it wasn't the size of a football field
Wouldn't it basically just be something like a triangle BMP, a Rams Head BMP, a Russian BMP, and a NYC BMP?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:30 am

mbene085 wrote:Wouldn't it basically just be something like a triangle BMP, a Rams Head BMP, a Russian BMP, and a NYC BMP?
Built-into three Marshall Stacks with no volume adjustment. They only stay on "10" or "11."

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
mbene085 wrote:Wouldn't it basically just be something like a triangle BMP, a Rams Head BMP, a Russian BMP, and a NYC BMP?
Built-into three Marshall Stacks with no volume adjustment. They only stay on "10" or "11."
don't forget to add a Hiwatt plus a twin right in your face ;D

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 pm

I took a look at it, it seems like a nice concept, just as the Loveless pedal might have been, it just depends on how it's executed. I've never tried any of their stuff, but I unfortunately I haven't read a whole lot nice, especially about that one pedal in particular. I think some of it, like was said above, is just about the person and what they want/like. And if you're used to building complex tones one pedal at a time, no single pedal will be versatile enough on its own, especially if you have other good pedals that you can throw in the mix. I know I've kind of become that way.

I bought a Keeley Loomer, which is Keeley's version of an MBV pedal, and I'm very happy with it. I don't think too many people here and possibly other places may have liked it very much, mostly because it's conceived as kind of gimmicky, but I love it for what it does. I don't do MBV sounds with it, but the reverbs on the reverb side of it I really, really love. I think the other side is supposed to be some version or another of a big muff, but I'm not really a muff fan and I haven't found a sound from that side that wowed me, so it stays off. Even though I don't use 1/2 this expensive pedal, I think it was worth it for the (to me) unique reverbs. If he made a reverb-only version of that pedal, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

That's a bit of a gamble to wait on a custom build, but you never know. Maybe when they come out with a demo?
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 am

I'm going to try and explain how I feel about this the best I can so I hope it makes sense.

First of all, this is so much more offensive to me than the Loveless (which was at one point gifted to me by a friend because of how flat/boring/honestly useless it was). With the Loveless, it really kind of opened my eyes, or ears, to a better understanding of what sound actually is. In my experience, and I think in anybody else's if they pay attention, my MEMORY of what My Bloody Valentine sounded like wasn't all that close to the reality upon revisiting Loveless after a year or two. Now, MBV was a whole lot closer to what I REMEMBERED My Bloody Valentine sounding like - the super distorted, thick, drone-induced tones that so many of us associate with he band. I ask anyone reading this though to go back and listen to Loveless and I think you'll find that it really wasn't that heavy. I mean, Sometimes and 1 or 2 others have the thick saturated compressed thing going on, but by and large it just sounds like electric guitar.

Having said all of that, these pedals imply that either of the albums they're stealing the names from have any one solid tone going on through out. They don't though, at all. The loveless thing made a little sense to me - all of us at one time or another want to try and recreate the "My Bloody Valentine" tone, and I think we have such a hard time doing that because what we hear in our heads when we think about it wasn't really the same as what was on the record. I can't imagine any album with the same exact guitar tone from beginning to end being an enjoy able thing to listen to anyway, but to suggest to your customers that it's just that easy to do, you just use these 4 knobs and two buttons and BOOM YOU ARE NOW KEVIN SHIELDS PLZ MAKE SOMETHING DERIVATIVE OF HIS WORK is just ridiculous.

The MBV sound, regardless of whether it was a real thing or imagined/revised in our brains, at least made a little bit of sense to try and market something like the Loveless. Big, thick, sustained, compressed, fizzy and fuzzy electric guitar, sure rock on. But Daydream Nation is an album that has probably hundreds of different tones on it and in my head at least, doesn't share any tonal themes between any of the s songs. Like, you've got pretty stuff, dirty stuff, noisy stuff, samples, whatever, but there's nothing close to a "signature tone" there to speak of, let alone to try and put it into the proverbial box and try to market it to people as a way to sound just like their heroes. Just makes zero sense no matter what haha.

I looked at the ad for it and saw that he also did a Kid A pedal with the same schtick and I can't tell you all how hard it made me :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 am

The only feedback I can give on the products are based on my experience with the Loveless. Dude has a great aesthetic - like his stuff looks cool, but with pedals that means absolutely nothing. It was extremely limited in function, was nothing more than a tame-as-hell fuzz that honestly I would compare more to an overdrive, probably had a weak hi pass filter of some kind... and an even weaker reverb that cut even more of the hi-s out of the mix. It took me about 10 minutes to try every possible combination of settings because none of the kn0obs really changed anything so it just sounded like some weak ass danelectro hot dog or grilled cheese whatever the fuck food pedals they had that were shitty

no exaggeration and I swear to god it's nothing personal, like the guy might be a really solid dude, but this was straight up the worst pedal I've ever used, ever and the fact that he keeps making them for different records is really, really fucked up and annoying.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 03, 2017 2:08 am

https://reverb.com/item/4407452-noisema ... 7-aluminum
Big fuzz, an insanely versatile delay/echo, and feedback and oscillation options all over - dual feedback controls on the delay channels, tunable oscillator on the fuzz. Same deal as the Loveless - we had a customer request it as a custom build, and we made it happen. The goal was to cover those clean, ambient tones on the delay side, the big, fuzzy freak outs and sub layers, and then all the blips, beeps, and soundscapes - not just off Kid A, but other Radiohead albums too. The fuzz dials down with a guitar's volume control pretty nicely too, to cover the sort of gritty passages along with it.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 am

Thanks for your detailed input.
Actualy I was more interested in a kind of analog multi effects than a Sonic Youth in a box thing. I'm totally agree with you there's so many different guitar tone in Daydream (not mentioning KidA), but the idea of having a potent tool for tone for tone shapping without the hassle of carrying 20lbs of pedals in the subway was a Kool thing.
Now, it seems it's just very basics effects so I think I'll my money for more pedals.