Delay recommendation

Everyone needs a stompbox.
silentchief
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Delay recommendation

Post by silentchief » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 am

I've used a Line 6 DL4 for a while, but I'd like to get something else for two reasons. 1, it takes up too much pedalboard space (need to make room for more dirt pedals!) and 2, it's not true bypass and adds this layer of...something...on top of my tone even when bypassed. It's not "bad" per se, I'm just wanting something that's not constantly converting my analog signal to digital and then back again like the DL4 does.

That being said, I'd prefer an analog delay or at least a digital or modeling pedal with true bypass. I'm very aware that the true bypass thing is super overblown and (good) buffers in a pedal chain are a good thing.

I don't use the delay for a whole lot in my current band, but I do use two presets on the DL4. One is a long delay that I use for ambient sounds, and the other is set to instantly start self-oscillating. I'd like to be able to recreate these on the new pedal(s). Tap tempo isn't necessary, but it would be a perk.

Here's some options that I've been thinking about:

-Chase Bliss Tonal Recall w/ a micro expression pedal so I can use that instead of the presets (I'd be using it with the repeats/feedback controls on the pedals listed). My main beef with this one is its price, but I like that it's not a clone of anything and sounds amazing. I'm just wary of paying out the ass for something I only use on a few songs.
-EHX Deluxe Memory Boy/Man w/ micro expression pedal.
-Moog Minifooger Analog Delay w/ micro expression pedal.
-Way Huge Supa-Puss w/ micro expression pedal.
-2 small analog delays like the Ibanez minis, Carbon Copy, Memory Toy, etc. Honestly I feel like this might be the option I'm leaning towards the most.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? If I was to go with my last option, which pedals do you think would be best to replace my DL4 presets?

I wish delays weren't so damn expensive...

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Delay recommendation

Post by daemon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 am

I recently got the Donner "Yellow Fall", which is super cheap, true bypass and sounds pretty darn good. Probably not one for delay purists, but I use it sparingly so it fits the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCodPLdBg7s

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 am

check malekko ekko 616
I stack 3 delay pedals malekko ekko 616, mooer reecho and digitech digidelay.
I've tried many different analog delays and malekko ekko 616 is my favourite.
It is true bypass with optional buffer (i use it in buffered mode)

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 am

there is a way to make a dl4 true bypass. I can't exactly remember how, but it's easy to change. Mine is currently set to true bypass.

Other than that the deluxe memory boy is a good option. I have it and a DMM and it holds its own for the most part. I'd rate it higher than the carbon copy, 616 and the boss DM-2 (only higher than that one due to feature set) for delays in that price range. If I wasn't all set for delays at the moment, I'd probably just buy a Dd-7 to simplify my life. It covers a lot of ground and does it well.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 am

Everyone have their own prefered delay... I use the MXR Carbon Copy with great result with a Fender amp. In a darker amp, like a Orange, I prefer a digital reverb (I use a boss dd5). I ordered a a MXR Carbon Copy Bright to see if it will sound better the the normal one in a distorded amp.

Whatever you choose, I would buy 2 delays and stack them. Better option then buy one overcomplicated delay IMHO.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Not true bypass, but I would definitely recommend the Boss DM-2W.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 pm

I used a DL4 for a few years right when they first came out. It worked for a long time. I also got tired of lugging it around and worried about it's reliability, although mine never had any issues despite constant gigging back then.

I mainly used the DMM preset, so I ended up just getting a real DMM. I also got a Maxon AD-900 for for softer, straight up analog delay. I've had a few different ones since then, but those two are still on my board and I've come to realize, all I'll ever need. I like the two delay option because I can obviously set them up differently but I can also mix them together to achieve maximum space odyssey!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 pm

shoule79 wrote:there is a way to make a dl4 true bypass. I can't exactly remember how, but it's easy to change. Mine is currently set to true bypass.
true. it is feature of the pedal in stock form! i forget how to do it but its somewhere in the manual.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Delay recommenndation

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:09 pm

I would also suggest getting two seperate pedals. I always have a DMM on my board, and then some sort of do it all digital delay, so i can get wierd when needed. The new DMM with the new chip is a really great pedal, and much more affordable than they used to be. Well worth the investment.

On a side note, the Malekko 616 is also a great pedal, but just know that it is a very bright pedal and the repeats go through a high pass filter rather than a low pass filter, so it sounds substantially different than other analog delays. It doesn't give you that dark wash that others do, and instead sits on top of your signal. Not bad, just different. Sorta like a tape delay would.

silentchief
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by silentchief » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:I would also suggest getting two seperate pedals. I always have a DMM on my board, and then some sort of do it all digital delay, so i can get wierd when needed. The new DMM with the new chip is a really great pedal, and much more affordable than they used to be. Well worth the investment.

On a side note, the Malekko 616 is also a great pedal, but just know that it is a very bright pedal and the repeats go through a high pass filter rather than a low pass filter, so it sounds substantially different than other analog delays. It doesn't give you that dark wash that others do, and instead sits on top of your signal. Not bad, just different. Sorta like a tape delay would.
Do you mean the 550, the 1100, or the regular DMM? From the demos I've heard, they all sound fantastic with more clarity than the Memory Boy/Toy. I've also seen demos of the 616, and I think the repeats might be just a hair bright for me. My amp settings are already on the bright side
Arthon wrote:Everyone have their own prefered delay... I use the MXR Carbon Copy with great result with a Fender amp. In a darker amp, like a Orange, I prefer a digital reverb (I use a boss dd5). I ordered a a MXR Carbon Copy Bright to see if it will sound better the the normal one in a distorded amp.

Whatever you choose, I would buy 2 delays and stack them. Better option then buy one overcomplicated delay IMHO.
I'm running a Fender amp now, sometimes I'll break out the AC30, but I tend to run really bright settings on whatever amp I'm using. I'm leaning towards this option (2 small box delays) for the sake of pedalboard space.
Mike S wrote:Not true bypass, but I would definitely recommend the Boss DM-2W.
It's analog though, so it would fit the bill. I'm really only worried about true bypass if the pedal does the constant A-to-D-to-A converting even when bypassed like my DL4 does. The DM-2W's sound amazing and they're definitely one I'd be interested in if I found it for the right price.

If I were to go with two delays, which would you suggest for my presets? I know a lot of delays out there will do both of these things, but are there any that really excel at self-oscillation more than others? I really just use that preset to make noise in a few of our songs.

silentchief
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by silentchief » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 am

Harmoncj wrote:
shoule79 wrote:there is a way to make a dl4 true bypass. I can't exactly remember how, but it's easy to change. Mine is currently set to true bypass.
true. it is feature of the pedal in stock form! i forget how to do it but its somewhere in the manual.
Just looked this up, apparently you have to hold the A and C footswitches down for a second and then plug in the input cable to change bypass modes. I'm wondering if this is just a way to toggle delay trails or if this would solve my problems. I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can notice a difference.

At any rate, the DL4 is taking up a lot of pedalboard space and I'll probably end up switching it out just because of that. Not selling it though. I think it'll be a good one to have in case I need its features in the future. I don't play for churches much anymore, but they love that U2-ish rhythmic delay shit and dialing that in on the DL4 is second nature to me after having played for a bunch of churches/camps and whatnot when I was younger. I'd never use those kinds of settings with the band I'm in now, and I just don't need all of the bells and whistles that the DL4 has.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:24 am

silentchief wrote:
Mike S wrote:Not true bypass, but I would definitely recommend the Boss DM-2W.
It's analog though, so it would fit the bill. I'm really only worried about true bypass if the pedal does the constant A-to-D-to-A converting even when bypassed like my DL4 does. The DM-2W's sound amazing and they're definitely one I'd be interested in if I found it for the right price.

If I were to go with two delays, which would you suggest for my presets? I know a lot of delays out there will do both of these things, but are there any that really excel at self-oscillation more than others? I really just use that preset to make noise in a few of our songs.
The DM-2W is very good at that. I don't know if you're a fan of obscure Nirvana songs but an original DM-2 was used for a lot of bizarre effects on Kurt Cobain's home recordings and to create oscillating swells on songs like If You Must. I think his was stolen along with a Super Fuzz...
Anyway, if you want some really bizarre delay possibilities, add both a DM-2W and an EHX Polychorus into your chain. The Polychorus is pretty much the old Echoflanger and has some very bizarre delay/chorus/flanger/double tracking/filter and is great for self-oscillation.