Starting Over (With Too Many Options)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Starting Over (With Too Many Options)

Post by MrShake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm

I posted elsewhere about it, but my wife and I recently decided to revive our garage-punk band that we retired almost a decade ago. We hung it up when we moved from the Midwest to Boston due to an inability to use her drums in our downtown apartment, and no cash for a rehearsal space rental.

I became a bedroom/recording guitarist for about six or seven years, and had a huge board. Literally -- a giant two-by-three sandbox to mix and match a huge number of pedals. I hung things up a few years ago. My recording rig crapped out, leaving me like a painter without a canvas. Compounded with depression/anxiety, I just boxed everything up and didn’t play a note on an instrument for two and a half years. So now, with a bunch of years woodshedding under my belt (excepting the last two+), we’re going to get back to where we left off but at a technical and sonic advantage. We’re basically going from The Gories/White Stripes to a two-piece (early) Spacemen 3 kind of thing. Primitive tom-thumping under reverbed fuzz-drone riffs.

It’s exciting being able to jump back on the horse, and I’ve been pulling everything out and seeing what I can do.

The first thing I noticed is that after all these years, I have all the gear I could really ever want. The time away largely cured me of “pedal fever”. But I got so used to having a huge board that I’m now looking to come up with something leaner that I can actually take to practice.

And I’ve narrowed it down to... twelve pedals?!?

It’s basically two rows, with the Supersonic Fuzz Gun patched in before the tuner. That spot’s for what I like to call my “kaboom fuzz"... something to stomp on and blow everything up in a giant explosion.

It’s basically a matter of picking my fuzz/dirt on the first row. A Shin-Ei FY-2 clone, a Superfuzz, or a Rat. Also, that “Boss distortion” sound from my teenage years, if I get a wild hair.

In addition to the “standard” sounds (distortion into reverb, fuzz into flanger... into reverb), I’ll have a lot of ground to cover as the only non-drummer. For the record, I play through a nicely-serviced Silverface Bassman Ten -- a 4x10 closed-back with a lot of punch and beefiness. This rig offers:

- A Mooer knockoff for “Reverb into Rat” (instant Raveonettes/Vandelles/surfy post-punk)
- The placement of the Mooer clone also allows me to put flanging before or after dirt.
- The tuner after the Supersonic Fuzz Gun lets me tune/set the oscillation tone
- Two reverbs = super-long spooky reverb trails, clean or dirty
- Double Rat Madness!
- The Super Feedbacker is (usually) set low so I can set up a drone and then soak it in high-gain distortion like a violin.
- The delay is almost never used, except for one critical song that’s built entirely around a DD-5 specifically. That said, it’s nice to have it there for tranced-out riff grooves.
- No matter what else I do, the RV-2 at the end ensures I can drench everything in plate ambience

I’ve been having trouble deciding on my flanger. Since this is my all-purpose board to lug to practice and gigs, I can’t bring myself to put my 18V Electric Mistress on there, even putting aside the real estate it would chew up. The Mooer knockoff flanger gets me enough of the way there for high-volume practice and gig and it's tiny. But I also love the BF-2... maybe it's from wht’s got maybe even a little more variety, but I’m still undecided. Plus the “Electric Mistress” gives me the Filter Matrix mode for extra sonic flavor. I keep flipping back and forth, and remain wracked with indecision. Anyone care to offer any vote in favor of one or the other?

Same with the “kaboom fuzz”. I love the Supersonic Fuzz Gun, but I’ve got a vintage-modded Fender Blender that’s the only pedal I have that actually kinda scares me to activate in boost mode. The Fuzz Gun’s versatile, and there’s a ton of great sounds in it, but it can be a little thin, despite its huge potential for chaos generation. The Blender's more limited in it's scope, but I've never heard a more gnashing, roaring sound than its boosted mode. A drawback for the Blender is that it's HUGE on a board like this. Same question -- what do y'all think?

Frankly, I wish the whole thing were sleeker, and while I could probably drop the DF-2 and maaaaaaybe the FY-2, it’s about as tight as I can get it for spaced out heavy-psych garage. And while I rarely use the Pulsar, it more than does the trick if I want some square wave machine-gun trem blasts, and I wouldn’t necessarily want to be without it.

I’m also planning on building a new board itself, with tiers. The middle row will be up on an additional 1” plank, and the back corner for the rotating explode-o-fuzz will be double-stacked, with enough space behind that for a power strip. It’s going to look like a level from Crystal Castles or something.

Now I just need to figure out how I’m going to get my Jag finished, and I’ll have my ideal rig for this band -- something I wouldn’t have dreamt of nine years ago.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Starting Over (With Too Many Options)

Post by zhivago » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:14 pm

I'd totally rock that board...the plate setting on the RV2 is probably my favourite reverb setting of all time.

Considering the direction you're going, I don't think the setup is that extravagant...

Just have fun...after all this time, you deserve to. 8)
Resident Spartan.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Congrats on getting things rolling again. I say just experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

I think in your situation I might be looking at a looper to be able to switch banks of things on and off easily, especially while singing.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Looks like a groovy board!!!

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Record some stuff and post it!!!!

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:41 am

Love it.
RATs and RV-2s always have some magic together.
If pressed I could work with just those two.

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lunaticjaguar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:56 am

gah, I ordered one of those eno rat clones in December and it still hasnt arrived. checking the mail box everyday! You obviously feel it holds up to a real Rat?

nice setup! rock out.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:22 am

I can't comment on the board since I've always kept things boring/simple with mine, but I just wanted to comment that it is *so* cool that you and your wife can rock out together. That's an awesome thing to share.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm

btw- how do you like that Pulsar ?
i've never tried one. are they hissy ?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks for the kind responses, y'all. It means a lot. And zhivago, you can come over any time to jam. Just bring some of those sweet vintage hotties you've got.

I've been pretty pleased with the sonics of this board so far. To respond to a few comments -- yes, Rats and RV-2s are like magic together! And as a Rat addict (sigh... I just picked up another MIC for peanuts, leaving me at... seven?!? Two from the '90s, two modded MIC ones, a stock MIC one, and the WFRI.

lunaticjaguar, The Eno stands up to any of them, and the turbo switch (a mod I add to my MIC ones, too) helps make it one of the best "value for money" pedals I've ever heard. I think it absolutely stands up to a real Rat, but YMMV. Sorry to hear yours is in transit woes... but weigh in later, I'd like to hear another owner's thoughts?

I've actually tried using a looper live in the past on some other stuff (The Spirit Three), but i've found that I tend to spend more time looping and less time playing/composing... so I've been a little shy to pursue that. Plus, it can get a little confusing for my garage-ape brain. However, I've only been using a Boss RC-2 in the past. Which is pretty crazy by my primitive standards, but I bet there's some other better stuff out there. Any suggestions?

Also, that "looper" suggestion by marqueemoon did spur on an idea that I'm in love with. We have a big sorta "noise jam" at the end of our set, where I crank every setting on mode 4 of the DD-5, and sort of use that like a "fading loop", but just build it up in "broken record layers". Your comment did give me the idea to edit a track of about 2 minutes of movie/news dialogue and record it to the RC-2, so halfway through, when things get real static-y and noise/drone, I stomp on that and spoken samples of dialogue start drifting through the mix live. Thanks for the inspiration!

preservation - I love my Pulsar, but I'm not a "tremolo guy", so I might not know what a "good" one sounds like. However (and it's a big "however"), the Pulsar has every variation I could want. Sure, it does your standard saw-tooth type, but I my favorite is a square wave, with the balance tilted slightly toward "short burst, long rest", for lack of a better term. It's no Vox, but it totally does that Spacemen 3 thing. The crazy stuff past the 1 o'clock mark makes for some cool "doubling back on itself" sounds, too -- and I've never noticed any real noise/hiss. Highly recommended for the money.

mbene085, it IS really rewarding getting to rock out with Mrs. Shake. She's just fun to be around, and we click well creatively. As long as she keeps practicing, we're only getting better! But she's a good resource in other ways, too. Like the way she hit up the workshop at her job to help me out with some lumber needs. I sent her with some measurements and a ten dollar bill for her pal in the shop, and she returned with a stack of properly-cut planks.

My big problem with the board pictured above was that I had trouble "reaching over" the first row to activate the other boxes. So I decided to go with some levels. I'm no carpenter, but it seemed like a good idea, with the highest tier for "kaboom fuzz" or anything else I might want to rotate in. About an hour of screwing (!) and assembly, and I'm much better off. DF-2 included for scale.

All my nerdy guitarist friends call their big boards the "Death Star". Like I mentioned up above, I might call this one "The Crystal Castle" or maybe just "Bentley".

The overall height is actually lower than my brain envisioned, which is a plus. From the floor to the top edge of the Fender Blender is only 4.25". The only pedal that's still a little tricky to get to is the DD-5 over those super-tall Rat knobs, but I don't need to use that one a TON, so it's no big deal. Other than that, everything's far more accessible than before, and since I asked them to use cheap wood, it's a lot lighter than I'd expected. Now I just find a suitcase and a bunch of old t-shirts, and I'm mobile!

I also got the replacement trem for my 62 AVRI JM in the mail the same day. No more dead zone! My rig is almost complete! Now all I need is a neck for my Jag and my rig... dare I say... may actually be fully complete.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 am

That's a great board, good stuff.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:06 am

Good work, that turned out nicely.

I dunno if you still wanted to get the DBA Fuzz Gun on there, but if you turned the two power bricks so the inputs faced each other, you could put it on top of them.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:06 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:Good work, that turned out nicely.

I dunno if you still wanted to get the DBA Fuzz Gun on there, but if you turned the two power bricks so the inputs faced each other, you could put it on top of them.
...or hid them under the highest tier

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 am

CorporateDisguise wrote: I dunno if you still wanted to get the DBA Fuzz Gun on there, but if you turned the two power bricks so the inputs faced each other, you could put it on top of them.
MechaBulletBill wrote: ...or hid them under the highest tier
Ooh, good ideas!

I'm actually thinking about building a little removable "bridge" (long plank with a block at each end to "loft" it over the DC Bricks). The drag is that I'm actually trying to make things SMALLER, but sometimes I can't resist extra tonal. Ideally, I'd like to take some stuff OFF this board, but I want an all-in-one, all-the-sounds-I-want setup to prevent having to swap things in and out.

In fact, I found a way to *cram* an RV7 Hardwire reverb between the Rat and the first RV-2. Not that I actually wanted it there, but I ended up writing a song that's heavy on the "glide guitar" sound (my first where I really feel like I've kind of mastered the technique), and the gated mode on the RV7 is the only thing I have that makes that sound to my liking *shakes fist at sky*. If I could use RV-2 #1 for that gated sound, I would. I use the RV7 (on gated) into the Fender Blender with a hint of clean signal mixed in. But the RV-2's gated mode doesn't quite cut it the same way. So I HAD to put the RV7 on there, too -- despite it weighing a ton.

The flanger dilemma is still uncertain, too. I've currently got the BF-2 on there, and it's great, but I don't know if the metallic sheen it offers is the right one for these tunes -- and my EM knockoff has the Filter Matrix mode... hmmm...

I'm still undecided on the Fender Blender vs. the Supersonic Fuzz Gun up on the pedestal. I spent some time this past week with the SFG and discovered a whole new range of sounds that I didn't realize it could do -- thick, beefy, low-end type stuff. I'd had it pigeonholed as a one trick pony (or one-trick mosquito, as it were), but now I'm wondering again if it might be the right choice for my "step on it, go kaboom" fuzz. It's just that the Blender works so well for that glide guitar with the clean-blend option... decisions, decisions. I just feel lucky that these are the options I'm weighing. Hard to go wrong with either.
marqueemoon wrote:in your situation I might be looking at a looper to be able to switch banks of things on and off easily, especially while singing.
This suggestion stuck with me... and so I decided to fill my RC-2 with recordings of ambient soundscapes and use it for "between-song" coverage... tap it on, go talk to the drummer, give her a break, let the shimmery guitar ambience play, then when we're ready, stomp again head back into a song!