I need your help: Stymon or Eventide?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I need your help: Stymon or Eventide?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am

I know it's a question that's been asked before, but I am debating between getting an eventide space along with a timefactor OR A timeline and some other reverb alternative???

No experience with eventide, and only played the flint, dig, and El Cap from strymon. El Cap probably would have stayed had it's time division features been better.

I think I would prefer the space for reverb, but would not be able to swing the space and a timeline. Is the timeline that much more superior to the timefactor?

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need your help: Stymon or Eventide?

Post by tremolo3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I've owned both combos: Space+Timefactor and Timeline+BigSky.

Sound is really subjective here. Both can do amazing things but I the Eventide sound because it makes my dry+wet signal blend in a pleasant way, with Strymon the wet signal is always "separated" from the dry signal, something I don't like for the type of music I play.

Features, user interface, price, layout, etcétera... Things that can be somehow "measured", I prefer Eventide as well.

Let me know if you have a specific question regarding any of them, I don't have the Strymons anymore, and instead of the Timefactor I only own some of the algorithms in the H9.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Last year I downsized from a midi-controlled rack filled with a Yamaha SPX-900, Roland DEP-5 and Roland GP-16 that was augmented by a Deluxe Memory Man and a Roland Space Echo to a board with a Strymon El Capistan, Eventide Timefactor and Eventide Space controlled by a Source Audio Reflex.

After researching my options and trying out all the units available I found these to be the best solution for me at replicating the units I was replacing. I don't think many of the comments that I read on TGP and other places were made by people with real world experience with old digital rack units and even fewer with actual tape echoes!

I could get by without the El Cap as the Timefactor is fine as a tape sim. I use it for two tape sounds and also stack it with the Timefactor which allows me to keep my bank selecting on the Eventides to a minimum. The converters, buffering, tap tempo and true stereo, rather than the pseudo stereo employed by those old units is...well 20-30 years of technological advancement better. Both brands have plus and minuses to sort through and the Eventides hit more of those for me than the Strymons. I can see and hear why a bedroom player would be easily swayed by the Strymon units though. A lot of the functionality complaints against Eventide are actually such an improvement over the old units that I don't even notice them or were made by someone that didn't read the manual!

The Space is overkill for most players, but if you need what it offers then it is far and away the best.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 am

Thank you both for that insight guys. While I liked the strymon units (dig, el cap, flint)...none of them have stayed. Not really because I didn't like them, but just didn't find them necessary and had to make room for other rig purchases. Was able to make some cool effects recording with the flint before I let it go though. And truly the timeline and eventides are not "necessary". Mainly wanting to fill my board with some different boxes that stretch the limits to give me inspiration. Maybe get to know them and learn them well. I'm to a point where I do not want to be continually swapping effects to find "my sound". I've got basic verb and delay needs met with a DMB and a trinity. Honestly that humble combo sounds great and has been my bread and butter for a while.

In regards to the eventides are any years better than others? I'm sure the newest I can find would be optimal. I'll be buying used as new units are way out of budget.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:57 am

Is there any reason you're avoiding the H9 ? Thats the route I ended up going, and I use it for reverb mostly, but it has some beautiful delays in there. With the H9 you can buy just the algorithms you need, and skip the rest, making it potentially cheaper than buying both pedals.

As previously stated, the eventide reverbs seem to blend seamlessly with your dry signal unlike alot of other digital processors. It also has some reverb and delay combos, like the ModEchoVerb which is amazing, probably my favorite sound in the thing. The spring reverb is also great. I'm pretty sure the H9 is on for every song in my set....

That said, I couldn't live with just the eventide as my only delay. Some of the delays just feel flat and lifeless, and others are hard to control in terms of finding a usable sound. But the standard digital delay sounds great, and the tape delay is pretty good too.

It's also nice to be able to demo the different algorithms to see if they are something you like. That way you end up with only sounds you like, and non of the erroneous stuff you'll never touch.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 am

tremolo3 wrote:I've owned both combos: Space+Timefactor and Timeline+BigSky.

Sound is really subjective here. Both can do amazing things but I the Eventide sound because it makes my dry+wet signal blend in a pleasant way, with Strymon the wet signal is always "separated" from the dry signal, something I don't like for the type of music I play.
While I liked the flint, there were some aspects I didn't like that's were possibly attributed to what you say about the wet and dry signal. I found the flints reverb to be a bit hard to tame. Was always too extreme or too subtle. But, I'm really not considering another strymon reverb box at this point.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:23 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:Is there any reason you're avoiding the H9 ?.
TBH I'm not into the idea of plugging into software.. Can it run both effects simultaneously? Also I am not huge on using external taps. Don't know that much about it really to completely write it off though. I like the idea of tweaking on the fly and being able to tap tempos on the same individualized pedal. I think of it like I'm taking an open book test and have "two different books open" rather than scrolling and scrolling through One book....just to keep things simple. I know the space and timefactor are not simple, but I already have simple effects and want to branch out

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 am

The h9 has a tap tempo built in. Unfortunatley you can only run one effect at a time. But some of the algorithms contain multiple effects, like the ModEchoVerb, which has modulation, delay and reverb. They also just came out with a new patch that has delay and reverb as well, though i havent tried it yet.

And yeah, unfortunaly tweeking on the fly is a total pain, but once I set up my sound, the only thng that changes is the tempo, which I can tap in. You can also set an expression to change several settings at once. So, if you have it set to change the tone and decay of the reverb, you can adjust on the fly, that way you don't have to scroll throug menus.

Or you can assign the three most important knobs to the three buttons on te front of the pedal, and then you just click the button and turn the wheel to adjust it. So for my reverbs its always mix, decay and tone.

I think by and large it looks more daunting than it really is to learn, and once you know the basics, your off running. But it does require time and effort.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. The Eventides are on their way.

Since I'm a first time user, do you have any tips that would help me get the most out of them?

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 am

Read the manual... And be patient. It takes time to learn to dial them in effeciently. Also, don't scroll through the factory presets unless you have a few hours to spare. I've lost many hours just flipping through the presets.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:Read the manual... And be patient. It takes time to learn to dial them in effeciently. Also, don't scroll through the factory presets unless you have a few hours to spare. I've lost many hours just flipping through the presets.

Ha..those presets will be hard to resist.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 am

I've barely spent anytime with these effects. And I can see why avoiding the presets at first would be a good idea. There are so many good and usable effects it makes decisions hard. However I am completely thrilled with both of these. Even though the timefactor is technically more complicated than the strymon dig, it is overall more versatile and in my opinion more easy to dial in. These effects are the pieces of the puzzle that I needed. I believe both of these pedals are going to fulfill the roles I need for them. Thanks for all the insight guys. It is now time for me to experiment for the next few months haha.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 am

There is a function on the Space that will switch settings within the patch which saves changing presets mid song if the two sounds you want aren't too far apart. Say small room to big room or hall with 30% mix to hall 50% mix. No going from spring reverb to plate though (I don't think) modechoreverb is a good patch for that as you can turn the delay on/off or change the modulation.