NPD - Acapulco Gold

Everyone needs a stompbox.
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPD - Acapulco Gold

Post by RuffiansFC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:26 am

thanks to selling an OD pedal that was on Reverb for a year, I had the cashflow to pick one up. It is supposed to sound like a cranked model T, so I felt intrigued given my 19 years of owning my 73 model T.

To my ears, it does not sound like a Model T. Granted, I use 6550s with a lot of headroom. The crunch of it has some of the same characteristics, but it misses the warmth. I'd equate it to a good distortion that gives you that driven Marshall type sound, but will never touch the real thing.

If you are looking for a fuzztortion type pedal with a lot of bite, it's great. One knob for volume, unity volume is about at 9 o'clock and it sounds like a cranked amp in the ballpark of stoner rock. it doesn't really get fuzzy until noon, and anything after varies little beyond that. The best thing about it is how well it responds to rolling back your guitar volume. That is when I feel like it gets closer to that warm crunch I get from my T. It also gets more sensitive to picking dynamics when rolled back.

I also find it working well with other pedals, like if you were running into a cranked tube amp. running a fuzz into it easily gets you in that doom territory. Wah sounds great in front of it. I found myself having the most fun with this combo. I haven't tried to use it with my model T just yet, but I liked the results with my Orange CR120h.

For those looking for a good bass fuzz, give it a spin. When pushed around noon, It has a good mid presence without losing too much low end. Because the volume disparity is so great, I'm not sure how practical it is in live situations without some post gain control. This isn't as much an issue if you plan on keeping it on for the whole set, but it could getting the fuzz/volume balance right will be a tall task if you use it as extra color.

Long story short, great tool in the bag of tricks for guitarists and bassists. Don't expect a $100ish pedal to equate to a 45 year old tube amp that'll set you back $2000 if you are lucky.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NPD - Acapulco Gold

Post by parry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:36 am

Yep. I've built a couple of these. My favourite application so far, is with bass. LOVE it with bass 8)
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 am

Seriously considering picking one up. Seen it described as both Muffesque with mids, and more of a cranked MXR Dist + sound. Dunno what to believe tbh :mellow:
The Cherry Wave

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:33 pm

parry wrote:Yep. I've built a couple of these. My favourite application so far, is with bass. LOVE it with bass
Ooh! Any clips of that?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Tandark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tandark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:41 am

Have owned one, surprised how different it reacts from guitar to bass, less of a volume boost and just gets angrier.
Terrific sound but picked up a gray channel, and was happier with its versatility so sold it on.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 am

Tandark wrote:Have owned one, surprised how different it reacts from guitar to bass, less of a volume boost and just gets angrier.
Terrific sound but picked up a gray channel, and was happier with its versatility so sold it on.
Any similarity in the pedals? I have a Gray Channel and I'm considering an Acapulco, but don't want to end up with two things that are near enough the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Cherry Wave

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 am

i had the chance to run the pedal straight to a cab. when full blast, it gives a good cranked amp sound at a very low volume. I really liked it through my ampeg V4 with the OG eminence 25w speakers, but I haven't had the chance to record it.

Tandark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tandark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:23 am

O Drones wrote:
Tandark wrote:Have owned one, surprised how different it reacts from guitar to bass, less of a volume boost and just gets angrier.
Any similarity in the pedals? I have a Gray Channel and I'm considering an Acapulco, but don't want to end up with two things that are near enough the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Its a slightly fuzzier, gnarlier beast. But the various clipping options do things similar enough for me to suggest its probably not worth getting as AG as well.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 am

There is another pedal out there that is supposed to emulate the Model T, the Electronic Audio Experiments Model feT. I haven't used it or heard any clips of it, but this builder seems to do very good work, if anyone is interested.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/model-fet
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.