running two power supplies

Everyone needs a stompbox.
dilboskwisgaar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

running two power supplies

Post by dilboskwisgaar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

This might be a dumb question, but I'm new to using a power brick after upgrading from daisychaining one-spots. I have a Walrus Aetos, and I need to add a second to power all my pedals (14-15). Is it safe/efficient to run a second power supply (one-spot or second Aetos) out of the "120VAC Out" outlet on the first Aetos, or should I run from a second outlet on my power strip?

Thank you!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: running two power supplies

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am

I don't know the answer to that one but other supplies like the Cioks that I use are designed for exactly that. It would seem that if it is included as an option then it has an intended use. I've not done it myself and don't know if yours will work as planned.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:52 am

I would honestly assume that is what that outlet is for (if not maybe just a single pedal that can only use it's own 120VAC cable). I would write Walrus and ask them to be sure before you possibly damage anything, but here's the product page. Maybe the manual has more information?

If it doesn't work, you could always sell it and get the Phoenix power supply they make:
https://www.walrusaudio.com/collections ... 20v-230v-1
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I would think that's what it's for. Though - as mentioned - you could always ask Walrus.

I run Voodoo Lab power supplies and asked if I could piggyback them. The answer was yes (or run an amp or whatever!). Because of the outlet positioning though, I ended up running a y-cable (like this:http://www.sheeline.com.tw/product-deta ... &t=16&t2=0 ) and using the courtesy outlet to power my Ditto X4.

Works a treat!
Blank.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm

brucer wrote:I would think that's what it's for. Though - as mentioned - you could always ask Walrus.

I run Voodoo Lab power supplies and asked if I could piggyback them. The answer was yes (or run an amp or whatever!). Because of the outlet positioning though, I ended up running a y-cable (like this:http://www.sheeline.com.tw/product-deta ... &t=16&t2=0 ) and using the courtesy outlet to power my Ditto X4.

Works a treat!
I was told the same thing by Voodoo Labs: they said I could actually run my Delta Blues off of the AC jack, but you just have to be careful. They also told me they don't advertise that feature. So cool.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Yep that outlet is apparently built to handle most anything, even an amp. Even though there is fuck all info online about that outlet, strangely. even the manual is virtually void of any info on it. :s
If OSG has tort me anything...

MT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:50 am

Why not just daisy chain a few pedals off your one power supply? I've run up to 13 pedals off my CIOKS Schizophrenic using their cables. Or buy a Gigrig isolator and connect it to one of the 9v outputs from your Walrus. Now you have 4 more isolated outputs for your pedals and don't need to buy another large power brick.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am

MT wrote:Why not just daisy chain a few pedals off your one power supply? I've run up to 13 pedals off my CIOKS Schizophrenic using their cables. Or buy a Gigrig isolator and connect it to one of the 9v outputs from your Walrus. Now you have 4 more isolated outputs for your pedals and don't need to buy another large power brick.
I never thought about using either gigrig distributors or isolators with another power supply like that, but I like it. The only thing I'd worry about is the amperage they need for the isolators (since the gigrig generator brick is a full 5 amps). Coincidentally, the gigrig system is what I decided for my own pedalboard and just bought the first of it :D

MT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MT » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

The Isolator is 4 taps at a maximum of 180 mA each (I think. It's something around that). The Distributor is 6 taps with no limit but aren't isolated. I have two boards wired up at home using combinations of isolators and distributors and just run them off a One Spot power plug. No issues. They will also work fine running off a tap from a Voodoo Lans or CIOKS etc. Just have to do the maths and make sure that the total current draw for the pedals is less than the value of the tap you use. Pretty easy for drive pedals which use very little current.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:42 pm

MT wrote:The Isolator is 4 taps at a maximum of 180 mA each (I think. It's something around that). The Distributor is 6 taps with no limit but aren't isolated. I have two boards wired up at home using combinations of isolators and distributors and just run them off a One Spot power plug. No issues. They will also work fine running off a tap from a Voodoo Lans or CIOKS etc. Just have to do the maths and make sure that the total current draw for the pedals is less than the value of the tap you use. Pretty easy for drive pedals which use very little current.
That's so awesome! My main board (two boards physically separated by all but a couple patch cables for signal) will be run by a complete Gig Rig setup, but my bass board needs just a couple more power spots. I might do that with an isolator :) Thanks for the tip!!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I run 2 Voodoo labs for one of my pedalboards, the 2nd one is run off of the "courtesy" outlet from the first one, and I have had no problems. I think they don't advertise this in case anything gets messed up (for whatever other reason) and people try to blame them and their outlet.

This may have been said, but just be careful what you daisy chain. Usually the low ma draws like dirt & things can be chained, but I've found that things like heavy reverbs & delays take a lot of ma's & I prefer they're isolated with enough ma's for each pedal. That's the main reason I run 2 power supplies for a PT-1 sized board, because I can't seem work it down to only 8 pedals. I'm kind of a reverb freak, and I haven't gotten any daisy chains to try to run the dirt pedals together yet. Maybe I could get away with just using 1 ps on that board if I did. I run a Decibel 11 deluxe on my other, much larger board, and I need to either get some daisy chains to free up one ps from the other board, or just buy another supply, but I think if I do, it's going to be a Mondo so I can be done with power.

The only thing I don't like about the Decibel 11 is there's no courtesy outlet.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.