NPD - Boss DM-2

Everyone needs a stompbox.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPD - Boss DM-2

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 am

This was one of those unexpected deals that don't come up very often. I was selling a zither on eBay and a guy near Edinburgh got in touch to ask if I'd do him a quick sale as he has a gig in London next week he wanted it for and couldn't wait for the auction to end followed by a postage delay. I wasn't going to bother as he'd raised my hackles a bit by pointing to an auction for a broadly similar zither that had sold recently for peanuts, laying the ground for a lowball offer, I figured.

He persisted after I politely declined, so I looked at his feedback etc. to see if he looked like a dealer who maybe knew something I didn't about the zither. i had a look at his items for sale and saw that he'd recently had the DM-2 up but hadn't sold it, so I offered to meet him at Harthill Services and give him the zither and £100 cash for the DM-2. Not a bad deal for one of these somewhat gold-dusty pedals, I reckon.

The question now is do I keep my DM-3 or flog it to pay for the DM-2? I could ask the same about my DOD FX96. I suppose the real question is can you have too many echo units? :)

Haven't opened it up to check the chip yet as I've been busy playing my keyboard through it since I got it home, but it's the earlier black label version, so here's hoping it's the MN3005 version. The fact that the seller said it needs 12v to run, except when it's daisy-chained, in which case it'll run on a 9v PSU (eh? :derp: ), suggests it might be.

This one doesn't seem too keen on self-oscillating. I'll look for a trim-pot when I open it up, but I'm not all that fussed about it self-oscillating anyway if the truth were told. I'm just pleased to have finally landed one of these 20th-century classics.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NPD - Boss DM-2

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 am

Hmmm....just A/B/C'd them and the DM-2 sounded identical to the DM-3 to my ears, but chalk and cheese with the (MN3005-using) DOD. Looks like I probably got one with the MN3205 chip.

The difference is huge, by the way - the DOD sounds sooooo dark compared to the bright delays of the DM-3 and this version of the DM-2. Oh well, I guess it would pay for a used Waza DM-2 if I fancied getting rid of it at some point.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:47 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Hmmm....just A/B/C'd them and the DM-2 sounded identical to the DM-3 to my ears, but chalk and cheese with the (MN3005-using) DOD. Looks like I probably got one with the MN3205 chip.

The difference is huge, by the way - the DOD sounds sooooo dark compared to the bright delays of the DM-3 and this version of the DM-2. Oh well, I guess it would pay for a used Waza DM-2 if I fancied getting rid of it at some point.
It's probably not something you'd be willing to do but have you seen that they're now selling new MN3005s, based directly off the original chip & (I'm pretty sure at least) created by a guy who many consider a real whizz, in that department. I've no idea if one is even directly compatible but it'd be an interesting little exercise.

(((Geek Chat Linky)))
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 am

I think I'd be well-advised to stay away from the innards of the pedal, Mark. That's how accidents happen. ;)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 am

Probably wise.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:06 pm

They two chips are not a direct swap.