Industrialectric RM-1N

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Industrialectric RM-1N

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Anybody used this pedal? Looks like it'd be great for dark, lo-fi blooming reverb. Does it do more low-key stuff well too?
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Industrialectric RM-1N

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:33 am

It's a big hit on the ilovefuzz forum, might be worth checking out some threads there.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 am

I had one and really liked it. Perfect for dark, lo-fi blooming reverb, as you said. I think if I weren't trying to use it in a band-setting, I would've hung on to it; but much as I wanted it to work for me... in the end, the multiple knobs for tweaking minute-details in the sound (a lot of which I found was lost in the mix of a band) just took too long to dial-in, or was too much to get back to a sound between songs. I found a lot of the noise that drew me to it in the first place wasn't really practical/useable for what I was doing with it; and the wide horizontal layout took up a lot of board space - which found it moved on in favour if the DBA Reverberation Machine. Much quicker to adjust and all of that dark, lo-fi blooming reverb goodness.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 am

I love this pedal. It might be my favorite effect. I actually own 3 of them. :wtf: :fp:

I think both the dirt, and the reverb on this pedal sound reaaaaally good. In fact, it is one of my favorite standalone dirt pedals. You can get a lighter OD all the way through ripping distortion/fuzzy tones.

The reverb is really good too. It's, as stated, a lofi, dark reverb. Something between a spring and a plate. I use it in my band (I don't think it's too dark for my style), on my practice board and on synthesizers. It's really cool all around. The knobs are fairly interactive, but the control over the reverb is actually pretty limited (as far as i can tell). Some of the knobs don't seem to do much, and obviously if you play with the post gain dialed up, you compress the verb and lose some functionality of the knobs.

but yeah. I use this as a dirt with the reverb mix all the way down, and also as a reverb. one of the best purchases (or 3) i've ever made.

I have an echo degrader too, and it is quite versatile and gets REALLY noisy, in a good way. Loads of character.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 pm

indiandysummer wrote:I have an echo degrader too, and it is quite versatile and gets REALLY noisy, in a good way. Loads of character.
Of course :fp:
THREE! I think I like your approach better. I was obviously doing it wrong :D

I'd love to try an ED some time.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to get one when I get my new paycheck.

Hopefully the dirt is good enough to replace my RAT as well! I love my RAT, it's been the only constant pedal ever since I started playing guitar, but the RM-1N is way over my budget - Hopefully I'll be able to recoup some costs by selling the RAT if I like the dirt on the RM-1N enough. I'll report back to this thread once I get it.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

hobbes96
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hobbes96 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:09 pm

I had one for a second, I thought it sounded really good with the post gain dialed up, but IMO, you can get similar sounds out just running reverb -> dirt. You can get a lot more band for your buck out of other reverbs and dirt combo, but that's just my opinion. I would rather spend my money on an EQD Ghost Echo and like a mini or something.

*Also, this is my first post? Only had this account for like 2 years

JTurbide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JTurbide » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Ordered one and can't wait to receive it :D guys on ilovefuzz seems to love that pedal.
Anybody else here has one ?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 am

I am kind of interested in it, thanks for the opinions. I'd like to see what anyone else thinks, too, after using it a bit.

I'm more interested in the reverb side, though. It would be nice if the drive side is good, too, but sometimes, like Indy said he found with this pedal above, pedals that have 2 effects like that (especially with one being dirt) can kind of take away from or sometimes almost obliterate the other effect. Plus I find that sometimes heavy reverb can start to create its own distortion artifacts, which may not play too well with dirt, so you kind of have to compromise on one or both of them. I also realize that a lot of the nuances may be lost in a louder band setting, but I at least want those nuances to make a nice, noticeable difference when I'm playing alone - the ability to do that is kind of what I'd be paying for, along with possibly recording.

Basically I don't want to have to get 2 of these to be able to use each side effectively, but I think the dirt side would have to be really nice, for me to opt to use that side instead of the reverb, since the reverb is really what I'd mostly buy it for. Another "problem" is that I like all of my other dirt pedals (even though I'm looking at getting a couple more), so I don't really need another good dirt pedal ('specially in a combo pedal) making my "which dirt pedals to use here" choices even harder!

Speaking of difficult choices, now I have to go take a harder look at ghost echoes and echo degraders...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:34 pm

The dirt is good. The reverb is good. They're both good. However, the magic in this pedal comes from the interaction available (pre gain, reverb, post gain). It's more like 3 pedals in 1 than 2, in that sense. Being able to sculpt a squishy distorted splashy reverb sound from the multiple gain stages, and reverb inbetween, is where this pedal really excels.

Sure, you can keep the post gain down and do pre-gain and reverb, or a clean-ish reverby sound, but there's dedicated reverbs that will sound "nicer" and have better control over the reverb characteristics and parameters. Also, this pedal has some clock noise, so i'm not sure it's a great candidate for playing super clean. I wouldn't mind but YMMV.

JTurbide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JTurbide » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Whiny Minotaur wrote:Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to get one when I get my new paycheck.

Hopefully the dirt is good enough to replace my RAT as well! I love my RAT, it's been the only constant pedal ever since I started playing guitar, but the RM-1N is way over my budget - Hopefully I'll be able to recoup some costs by selling the RAT if I like the dirt on the RM-1N enough. I'll report back to this thread once I get it.
Did you get one? I received mine today and it f#@cking kills! If you haven't ordered one yet just do it.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:13 pm

I bought one, it's being delivered today, and I'm really stoked to try it out.

I have a feeling it will either replace or move one or more of my pedals - the Symphonic Resonance pedal, and maybe a couple of dirt pedals I'm blending in with the Loomer reverb. The hall setting on the reverb side of the Loomer is great, I'll have to see how this compares and reacts, but I have a feeling it will be awesome.

Thanks for all the info everyone, as much of a reverb freak as I am, I can't see me not liking it. It's just a question of where to put them all!
-David

Dandy13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dandy13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 am

somanytoys wrote:I bought one, it's being delivered today, and I'm really stoked to try it out.

I have a feeling it will either replace or move one or more of my pedals - the Symphonic Resonance pedal, and maybe a couple of dirt pedals I'm blending in with the Loomer reverb. The hall setting on the reverb side of the Loomer is great, I'll have to see how this compares and reacts, but I have a feeling it will be awesome.

Thanks for all the info everyone, as much of a reverb freak as I am, I can't see me not liking it. It's just a question of where to put them all!
So how are you liking it so far?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 am

It's taken a couple of days, because I can only play for about 3-4 hours in the evening after work, unless I hook things up to a smaller solid state amp, which I did last night instead. I definitely like it, but it's different, which I think is because I'm used to more pristine reverbs, and this one (to me) is like a very lo-fi spring reverb on steroids, that just gets dirtier and more complex with the fuzzes/distortions. That's not a bad thing at all, it's really cool, it's just taken me some time to get used to it. It affects your overall tone when it's on, even with all the knobs off/down, and has a constant clock noise, but it really is incredibly versatile.

This all depends on how high you set the Reverb Mix & Reverb Level knobs, but you can set the Feedback knob very high and it will oscillate/feedback/drone, or you can flip the Reverb Level switch up and the pedal ignores the Feedback knob and it will do it, and it has a soft foot switch that will also do it as long as you hold down the switch (and as long as it takes to fade). And regardless of the knob settings, it has a Drone knob that will pretty much do an apocolyptic type drone/oscillation when set full on. Each one of those sounds may be a little different, but they're similar, and there are lots of good settings in between all of those extremes. Sometimes I just feel like I'm wasting something if I have a really expensive pedal that is very versatile, and I'm using it on the lightest of its settings, but then I usually get over it and decide that it's already paid for, and whatever works for my purposes works. I don't really flip gear, I guess that's another phase of the disease, but I do a lot of research and like pretty much everything I buy.

I paired it with an old Small Clone (after the RM) last night, and that was pretty cool even though I'm not a huge chorus fan. I'm thinking of trying it with my Deluxe Electric Mistress and see how that sounds, too. I think the thicker EHX sounds are pretty good paired with the sounds from this. I think I'm probably going to create a new board around it, with older & sort of lo-fi type pedals that I'm not currently using, which I think will be pretty cool as more of a noise board. It just doesn't really go with the setup that I have on the main board that I'm using now.

I would definitely recommend it, but I think that a person needs to know what it is and what it isn't before they get it, so that they're not disappointed after spending that much money. My opinion is that it's not an always-on spring reverb pedal or anything like that, it's more special and sort of its own thing that can be worked into lots of music. Somewhere I read that it was kind of compared to the DBA Reverberation Machine, and there were youtube videos of each one. I didn't watch them, but I would think that this is more in that DBA vein than probably most other types of reverbs - at least the ones that I've bought.
-David

Dandy13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dandy13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm definitely considering one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. this definitely gives me a little more to chew on in my decision making process.