Crybaby Classic

Everyone needs a stompbox.
idiotbear

Crybaby Classic

Post by idiotbear » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 am

So I recently bought a Crybaby classic, the one with the Fasel inductors, because my modded Colorsound wah/swell has picked up one hell of a crackle, and has been frankly more trouble than it's worth.

At the risk of heresy (I know a lot of people don't like Crybabies at all), this is the best wah I've ever played. I love it. It has the lot - a nice wide sweep (bearing in mind the smallness of the pedal travel), a lovely tone, and bomb-proof build quality.

Not going to look back from this one...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Crybaby Classic

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Wah pedals are finicky beasts to be certain.  I've had so many and finally settled on a Teese RMC1.  I even tried a RMC3 which is supposed to be identical in certain settings and it didn't compare favorably to my older RMC1.  Even the wrong battery will make a wah pedal sound crummy.  That's great that Dunlop is making a classic style with the correct inductor.  The more recent Crybaby's were ass IMO.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:30 am

Jay wrote: That's great that Dunlop is making a classic style with the correct inductor.  The more recent Crybaby's were ass IMO.
Oh, agreed, 100%. Horrid things - sounded like squelching shit. This is nice, though.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:31 am

I may just have to get me one of those.

Do you have any sound samples of it in use?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:33 am

a month or two back I bought my nephew a Dunlop GCB-95Q Crybaby Wah. 

Yeah I certainly like classic wah wah usage (especially from late 60s tracks) but have never liked to use one myself ... haven't got the "feel" to use it.  So I don't own one.

But I have to say the three week I had the Dunlop GCB-95Q Crybaby Wah , before I  give it to my nephew, it was a delight to play.  The sound was great and in particular this model appeared to have the electronics set up so there was not huge clicks each time the player activiated it on or off.  Just an extremely smooth transition.

If I played one, this would be one I certainly would look into.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 am

Maggieo wrote: Do you have any sound samples of it in use?
Watch this space. As soon as I get all my gear back from school, I'll record a few phrases using it in various ways. :)