Reverb+Delay recommendations.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Tandark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Reverb+Delay recoomendations.

Post by Tandark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:18 am

Great Yawn wrote:Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the 'Echo' mode on the EHX Cathedral is basically an echo reverb, with optional repeats. I like the way it sounds. It's probably the mode I use most frequently.
Hadn't thought of that, plus has stereo ins/outs and the infinite feature. Great shout from Great Yawn.

SalsaDestroyer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Reverb+Delay recommendations.

Post by SalsaDestroyer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 pm

For me, Dispatch Master is incredible. I can't recommend it highly enough. I also had an RV-3 for a number of years. Loved it, but moved on because of a favorable trade for a Disaster Transport (LOVE it.)

my thoughts about the Dispatch Master:
Extremely good pedal, the perfect soup/swell/space pedal. If you have it, you need nothing more to fill the space. It's more of a cave-ish reverb, so less like the RV-3's deliciously plate sound, but perfect for what it does.

Downside I've noticed is that since I find it to be such a distinct pedal w/ distinct sounds, it's really hard to drop it in with other pedals (delays, reverb... i play post-rock). It's so good on its own that I haven't quite found a setting to make it compliment other delays/reverbs. It just takes over things, which rules, but can be limiting.

I've also had the EHX Cathedral. I enjoyed it. IMO, EHX has some of the best out-of-the-box tones for spring/hall/plate verbs. I wasn't crazy about the echo on the Cathedral, but I wasn't really on a mission to use that as my primary delay either. Also, the hard switch really bothered me on that one.

So yeah, it's good at what it does. Other delay/reverb not necessarily mentioned is the El Cap. it has a spring reverb on the secondary function of one of the knobs. That's something to consider if you like tape.

Tandark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tandark » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 am

SalsaDestroyer wrote: Also, the hard switch really bothered me on that one.
Salsa, are they hardclick switches then on the Cathedral?

metti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metti » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:02 am

The Cathedral is one of my favourites, but it does have a hard click.

SalsaDestroyer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SalsaDestroyer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Tandark wrote:
SalsaDestroyer wrote: Also, the hard switch really bothered me on that one.
Salsa, are they hardclick switches then on the Cathedral?
Yeah, what Metti said. Unless they've updated the build, they have a hard bypass switch. Really uncomfortable when I was playing quieter music in places like churches.

Also, while I was out this weekend, I spent some time with my Empress Reverb and focused on the delay + reverb mode on it. If you're looking for a replacement for the RV-3, this is it. The tone on the reverb is really similar to the RV-3 and it's got a tweakable delay part. You can make just about any sound on the Empress that the RV-3 can (except that awesome RV-3 glitch mode... I still miss that part).

So yeah, Empress is big bucks (esp. compared to RV-3, Cathedral, etc), but it'll do any damn thing you want. I love mine and use reverb far more now than I ever did when I had multiple smaller units.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm

I sold my Carbon Copy for a Boss DM-2W and run that together with either the Boss FRV-1 or FDR-1 pedals for the reverb. That seems to work best for me. If you want lots of weird modulation options, you can also chain an MXR Carbon Copy and Carbon Copy Bright together.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 pm

I recently got a Mooer Echoverb and I'm loving it. HIghly recommended.

lawaajtmaker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lawaajtmaker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:32 pm

I've got the Tomkat Daydreamer to do reverb and delay, awesome pedal!

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:00 am

The EHX Canyon is brand new and will be released shortly. Mostly a delay but does verb and looping too:

http://www.ehx.com/products/canyon

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm

BOSS RE20?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

If you haven't already gotten something, and especially if you're not looking to spend a lot, I'll give another big vote for the Zoom MS 70 CDR. There are so many great, stackable models in there that it totally is a steal, especially when you consider that some of the delays & reverbs are also bundled with phasers, tremolos, modulations, filters, etc. On top of that, you can put each of the models in your patches in any order that you wish, and it's pretty easy to do. It's usually up to 6 models per patch, except for the bigger memory-hog models, and sometimes it can only be 2 or 3. Many of them can be set for tap tempo, and it's also got a tuner, although I've not used these yet. That thing is just loaded and very inexpensive.

Like Mackerel has pointed out, having to use the line select as one of the model choices in order to bypass the entire patch/pedal is definitely a drawback to me, but the fact that you can set the rotation of patches with only the patches you want is cool. It's got its limitations and drawbacks, and some of the models are cheesy, but then so are the pedals that they're models of, but even if you just make one or a few patches that you'll use all the time, you can get by with it. At least until you buy other, more dedicated pedals, but I think that the diversity of this pedal will keep it from not being useful somehow.

I should really get another one soon. This thing and a dirt pedal are probably the only pedals I'll need when I travel.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 pm

on the context you can run delay (with reverb turned down) or both at the same time.
unfortunately in delay mode the reverb type isn't switchable, it's a deep hall. sounds great, but it's ideal
for a reverb lover that likes to just have a bit of delay here and there.

Spoopyman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spoopyman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:51 am

What kind of music do you play? That may help in narrowing down things. The type of reverb usually depends on the style of music you're aiming for. If you're looking for ambient, post-rock like stuff. I'd recommend Strymon Bluesky if that's out of your budget, I'd go for the Panda Context or even EarthQuaker Afterneath (unique reverb/delay) which has a good mix of reverb and delay the only problem I have with it, it's not the best to get the real wet reverb sound from. Its good on its own in certain situations but I like to stack it with my Strymon Bluesky. It's more of delay with reverb capabilities it feels like to me.
Honestly, I'd recommend getting a reverb pedal and a delay pedal. I find reverb/delay combo pedals to be a hit or miss in a lot of areas, I've tried several out and wasn't impressed with them. Either the reverb is weak or the delay is. Whereas if you get just a good reverb pedal and stack it with a delay pedal like a simple Boss DD-3 or anything else, they really go hand in hand with each other.
I've never tried the empress reverb though but from I've heard of it, it sounds absolutely amazing.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:42 pm

All of these seem like great suggestions, most of which I have no experience with, so I'm sure there's something out there for you.

But just out of curiosity, with the prices on some of the higher-end pedals out now being what they are, what's stopping you from picking up a used RV-3 for likely at/around the same price? Since that was a sound you liked and are basing your comparison on, what might you be looking for that it didn't provide? I shopped around for reverbs for a long time before realizing that the RV-2 I'd gigged for years was, in fact, "my" reverb sound. Maybe the RV-3 is that for you?

Not hassling at all, just wondering what sound you might be after. But regardless, it sounds like there are a lot of options out there to fill your quest. Happy hunting!