New fuzz day! Animals Pedal (Skreddy) Rover

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New fuzz day! Animals Pedal (Skreddy) Rover

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 17, 2024 12:03 am

Technically NPD was Monday, but tonight was my first band practice with it. This is an earlier one. It looks like this:

I’ve been on the hunt for something spittier that can work in a band context, and this has the added bonus of legit cleanup, unlike a MK1 Tone Bender or Zonk Machine. It’s silicon and seems to be perfectly happy sitting after my buffered tuner.

This is a Skreddy Pedals circuit that Japanese brand Animals Pedal did their version of with permission.

I’ve been playing it at home the last few days and it seems equally happy with single coils and humbuckers. It has a pretty lean sound, but there’s a lot of nice texture to it. It’s a very inspiring pedal to play in that it really responds to subtleties in playing. It has a little less of the chaos I was hoping for but makes up for it in musicality.

At practice I subbed it for the Rat clone I usually use and it did pretty ok. Definitely better than any other fuzz I’ve attempted to use in a band situation. It was a little hard to judge because we had a friend sitting in on guitar, and with 3 electrics going I didn’t want to push the level too much. Seems to play nice with other pedals. I play a semihollow guitar and it was definitely more prone to squealy feedback than the Rat if combined with a boost. It might just be a matter of skipping the boost and bumping up the level on this.

Overall I’m quite happy with this. It’s heavy and feels solidly built. The controls do meaningful things, and the cleanup sounds are really nice. I think that will be really handy for live use. I’m not that great at working the guitar volume yet, but I’m getting better, and this pedal is pretty forgiving in that area.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New fuzz day! Animals Pedal (Skreddy) Rover

Post by JackFawkes » Fri May 17, 2024 9:05 am

I sincerely love Marc Ahlfs' pedals. I'd seen these Animal Pedal collabs floating around eBay a while back, but have never played heard one, so it's awesome getting to read your account of it.
As I've been meaning to pare down my pedal collection, I keep waffling back and forth if I want to let go of my Mayo (since I just have so many Big Muff's in general) :unsure:

Jack

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 am

Is the Wool control a bias or a pre-gain? I read this is based off the MK-2 Tonebender circuit but modified for silicon transistors.

The MK-2 doesn’t have a tone control and it doesn’t sound like Wool is a tone control? A bias is a popular modification though. Germanium MK-2 have some clean up, but not like a Fuzz Face. Seems like the Wool, if it’s a pre-gain or bias control would have some affect on the amount of clean up.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 am
Is the Wool control a bias or a pre-gain? I read this is based off the MK-2 Tonebender circuit but modified for silicon transistors.

The MK-2 doesn’t have a tone control and it doesn’t sound like Wool is a tone control? A bias is a popular modification though. Germanium MK-2 have some clean up, but not like a Fuzz Face. Seems like the Wool, if it’s a pre-gain or bias control would have some affect on the amount of clean up.

Wool behaves more like a bias control. Around 10 o’clock is the happy place for me.

The cleanup is real on this one. With the Wool control set low you do get some kind of weird sounding crackly artifacts with the guitar volume rolled down though.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm

JackFawkes wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:05 am
I sincerely love Marc Ahlfs' pedals. I'd seen these Animal Pedal collabs floating around eBay a while back, but have never played heard one, so it's awesome getting to read your account of it.
As I've been meaning to pare down my pedal collection, I keep waffling back and forth if I want to let go of my Mayo (since I just have so many Big Muff's in general) :unsure:

Jack
Not a Skreddy circuit, but I tried the Sunday Afternoon Is Infinity Bender before getting this, and while the sound wasn’t for me I was really impressed by the quality of it. They do a nice job.

My pedals have gotten a bit out of hand too. It’s good to have options though.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Sat May 18, 2024 10:33 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm
Not a Skreddy circuit, but I tried the Sunday Afternoon Is Infinity Bender before getting this, and while the sound wasn’t for me I was really impressed by the quality of it. They do a nice job.
I've always been a hopeless muff lover, and have rarely found a fuzz that I gel with. That said, my favorite so far is Drunk Beaver's Ivan Mazepa. Though to be fair, it's naturally a little muff-ish for a fuzz; but I consider it a good gateway drug for me to hopefully find more I like.
I like the Mazepa so much, I wish there was a way I could easily try more of Drunk Beaver's pedals; some of them are novel/unusual circuits, and most use unusual East European chips and transistors, which gives them some really neat texture and character.
marqueemoon wrote:
It is pretty awesome to have options. I've really gotten into a habit of letting/forcing some of my friends in little local bands to use pedals from my little collection... makes me feel better about having a little library of them that I don't use enough :D

Jack

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat May 18, 2024 11:35 am

marqueemoon wrote:

Me three. I’m loving it though.

The Animals Pedal designs are so cool. Hope you have fun with it ;D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

JackFawkes wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 10:33 am
I've always been a hopeless muff lover, and have rarely found a fuzz that I gel with. That said, my favorite so far is Drunk Beaver's Ivan Mazepa. Though to be fair, it's naturally a little muff-ish for a fuzz; but I consider it a good gateway drug for me to hopefully find more I like.
I’ve never been into Muffs, but I do tend to prefer brighter sounds vs. sludgy/doomy.

My current fuzz lineup is the Rover, a Euthymia Crucible (hot silicon Fuzz Face variant), and Magnetic Effects White Aton (ultra versatile hybrid).

I also have an Earthquaker Bows treble/full range boost. That’s a fun way to add some fuzzy character to any flavor of dirt.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu May 23, 2024 1:55 pm

Dang. You make this one sound pretty usable and fun. Tempted to track one down myself...
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 23, 2024 5:23 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:55 pm
Dang. You make this one sound pretty usable and fun. Tempted to track one down myself...
I played it at practice again last night. I am still liking it, but it isn’t totally immune to the problem of getting a little washed away in a live mix.

What seemed to help is dialing back the fuzz. That makes the cleanup a little more lo fi, but that’s ok I guess.

Kyon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kyon » Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 pm

I've been eyeing this one, how comparable is it to a silicone fuzz face? I have an Animals Surfing Bear I picked up in Osaka a few years ago that I quite like and 30% of that is how much I enjoy the bear on it

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 24, 2024 6:15 am

Kyon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 pm
I've been eyeing this one, how comparable is it to a silicone fuzz face? I have an Animals Surfing Bear I picked up in Osaka a few years ago that I quite like and 30% of that is how much I enjoy the bear on it
The silicon FF I know best is my Euthymia Crucible. With the guitar volume on full it’s a lot brighter than that. It can be almost treble booster-ish depending on the settings.

I have almost bought a Tioga Road a few times for the bear on a bike. I really don’t need another Rat though.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 24, 2024 8:56 pm

I’ll try to do a lil’ comparison video.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon May 27, 2024 5:06 pm

Here's a quick video comparing my 3 fuzzes. You can really see how bright and cutting the Rover is in this.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue May 28, 2024 10:39 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 5:06 pm
Here's a quick video comparing my 3 fuzzes. You can really see how bright and cutting the Rover is in this.
Tasty! That At Mars amp sounds really nice too.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS