Midi Sync Delay

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Midi Sync Delay

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 am

I am an idiot. I turned off the midi thru and kept the clock out on and the clock in on and now it works.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 am

That’s what worked? That seems weird to me, but I guess if the drum machine is receiving a clock signal from the DAW, instead of passing the midi signal thru, it just outputs the same signal it’s getting to its clock in?

Intersting, I wouldn’t have thought that would be the solution.

Congratulations tho!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

It makes sense though.

The Collider doesn’t need the midi signal, because that’s sending the drum patterns, it just needs the clock to slave to the DAWs tempo. That’s why I asked about setting the midi mode to something other than Omni, so it could just tempo sync.

Glad you found a solution!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 28, 2020 8:26 am

True, I didn’t really think about it that way, but it does make sense. It makes it easier to realize the way that you stated it, thinking of it as an “end goal” instead of strictly just a process thing.

Definitely something to keep in mind if I ever try to automate things more with midi.

I guess I was lucky or the instructions were clear on having my Beat Buddy control the start/stop and clock controls on my Infinity, but I also bought them because they are either both intended to work easily/well with each other, or one (BB) is intended to work well with the other (looper). It’s not nearly as complicated a setup as above, but could be enough to drive me mad if it didn’t work well.
-David

JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Thu May 28, 2020 11:46 am

It is deceptive, the word "thru." The thing that made me think was that in the manual, after reading and rereading, they use the word merge (I think that´s what it was at least.) The clock info was merging, not just passing through. So like someone here said, the Alesis was reacting with the DAW and putting out something different. Anyway, now I know. And I am not poorer.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Yeah, there’s a lot to learn in it, especially to get all the way into it, like some of the midi the charts I’ve seen).

I was wondering about that, if it’s a true passthrough or if it gets molested before its sends the signal on. I don’t know if that’s true with all equipment or not, but it’s good to know about and watch out for, thanks.

I’m glad you didn’t spend any money trying to fix it, and it all worked out.
-David