How low can you go?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How low can you go?

Post by somanytoys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 am

Yeah, they were doing all kinds of different tunings - MBV and other variations. It made the open string chords sound really cool, and when they purposely played normal chords, it gave them a nice twist.

It was definitely cool.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:54 am

I mainly play bass, so I shouldn't really need anything but a tuner. But for funs I would always keep a chorus & overdrive on the board.

VPO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by VPO » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:56 pm

For a basic rock gig I can go with:

Guitar -> Fuzz Face -> ProCo Rat -> Amp

I use quite a lot my volume and tone for a different type of brake up and whatnot. I can get my reverbs and tremolos from the amp if I need to.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Its really context dependant. like sometimes i have played jazz and things.
but mostly I want to play my own style....
and even if it were jazz, probably ambient or nowave jazz, so that doesn't really count maybe.
If i needed to play clean things i can, sort of. If i must play punk can too. I wish to do other things, mostly.

Would be more happy with just the delay/looper. As an extension of the instrument, maybe its like a cellist without a bow without it, in fact that's the aim is to sound like a whole bunch of strings I guess. I am mostly an ambient guitarist. The amp should have reverb, and presumably some kind of usable distortion setting, then fine.
I think the nuances of distortion can be hidden by noisy drummers sometimes making it less necessary to be particularly heavy when using tons of reverb, even if i were riffing.
Possibly the eventide space but the particular delay/looper covers it. It won't come close but it would act like an extension of the instrument enough. If this part must be a long smeared synth pad, then it makes it possible, but it doesn't have the same timbre as the space.
I use the ehx hazarai, but although i actually use the modulated echo standalone pedal more i'd be able to stick to the other. It can produce a standard reverb, or a reverse-reverb style of two entirely different varieties on the right presets.

I reality, add octaver, chorus, doomy fuzz, rat overdrive, volume pedal, afformentioned extra delay and reverb pedals, amp tremlo, feedback simulator, second looper....but i don't need a lot of that. At some point it was just entering polishing off sounds or trying to go down new avenues, or getting an octaver because i could not find a bassplayer, maybe even having to do less knob turning by having more..

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:54 pm

I actually never use more than 4 pedals at a time. I think if it was for an extended amount of time, the fewest effects I could live with is two pedals: The Super Unpleasant Companion Fuzz and Big Box Polychorus, as well as my amp's spring reverb and foot switch-operated FAT boost.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 am

Could go straight in for most of my stuff, tbh. As long as the amp sounded good I do most of my work with the volume knob.

At the moment the board is EB Volume -> TU3 -> SD1 -> Analogman Chorus -> DOD Rubberneck which is basically a variation on the same setup I've played with for years, and is still pretty small compared to most.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

I could get by with my Lovetone Big Cheese and the Moogerfooger MF-104Z analog delay. There's a lot of versatility between those two. I would be slightly inclined to take the Lovetone Cheese Source instead as it adds the Brown Source overdrive to the Big Cheese and is still in one enclosure. I would generally opt to use my old Fender tube reverb as part of the "amp rig". But I would be alright without it if I had to.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:27 pm

I can do two and not feel the least big contstrained. A Boss SD-1 and a Zoom CDR.

But the truth is that I could probably do just fine with just a compressor.
This is an excellent rectangle

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 pm

I can get by with no amp, and just one pedal.

Of course, that pedal is a Fractal AX8 and has like 8 effects blocks that can be run at a time from a list of hundreds of effects so...I don't think I'm playing this game right.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.