Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

Here's a couple of boards I've put together primarily for the Filtertron type guitars, but they seem to be working great w/ the Teles and offsets I've plugged into them too.

First one:
guitar > Polytune 2 Noir > Xenogama Tail Loop [ loop 1 { Mystery Brain } > loop 2 { Vintage Rat > Modele B } > loop 3 { Gravitas > Meet Maude (w/ Supermoon in the FX loop) > Boing }] > Buffered Splitter > amp(s)

Really loving this setup as it seems to cover the full range of subtle seasoning through over the top noise making particularly well and is turning out to be very easy to use in a band setting for me.

Just got the other, more minimalist Brain based board put together last night:
As pictured I've got the Brain > Ubangi but I think I'll be sticking w/ this signal path:
guitar > PolyTune Noir > Ubangi Stomp > Atomic Brain > Ekko 616 MkII > Sonar > Little Black Buffer > amp(s)

So far this seems like a really great combination of pedals w/ a very surprising range of sounds on tap from 4 fairly straight forward pedals (well, the Sonar and 616 actually have a lot of options to them, but aren't exactly massive, multi-algorithmic affairs). Seems to work great w/ the AST Pro, Maz Jr. and Class 5 so far.
Last edited by Sid Nitzerglobin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHILDISHGAMBINO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CHILDISHGAMBINO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 am
CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 pm
Beautiful board!
Thanks man!

I wound up reshuffling this one a bit w/ an Empress Compressor replacing the MXR box, a couple of OneControl single bypass loop boxes replacing the Little Lehle (which thankfully has seemed to fix the LF feedback issue I was experiencing), and swapping in the BB Preamp, Tractor Beam and MXR M108 replacing the Monarch, Data Corrupter, and Randy's Revenge on the Orange "side" of the board. Here's the pretty much current setup of that board (I wound up adding a pedal riser doohicky under the ARP-87 so the tap was a bit easier to access):
It's going like so :
instrument > PolyTune 2 Noir > Compressor > Ditto > True-Path ABY-ST
A > MF Boost > Classic Bass Preamp > left 1Loop Box [ Julia > ARP-87 ] > Mute Box > PF-50T
B > Bellows > BB Preamp > right 1Loop Box [ Tractor Beam ] > M--108 Ten Band EQ > OB11--500

I think overall this one is a huge winner for me w/ any of the bass type instruments I've got. Both drive chains/amps seem to provide a great range of clean and driven sounds that I really love either individually or together and the modulation effects are really great and a blast to mess around with.
Nice! What happened to the Data Corrupter? I was really interested in one but eventually I realized that I can get really close to a lot of those sounds with things I have/are coming. I've tried the split signal path thing before and for me it doesn't work because I don't like dedicating things to only use in on loop. It's a great idea. Just not for me.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 am

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

Nice! What happened to the Data Corrupter? I was really interested in one but eventually I realized that I can get really close to a lot of those sounds with things I have/are coming. I've tried the split signal path thing before and for me it doesn't work because I don't like dedicating things to only use in on loop. It's a great idea. Just not for me.
It was taking up too much real estate for the amount of use it would get. It's a really fun and cool sounding pedal, I just don't think it's going to get a lot of use for actual bass playing for me outside of riff-festing or noisy noodling by myself.

I think the only thing(s) missing on here is a parallel mixer for the 2 paths w/ expression pedal control. Blending the OB1 w/ its Blend and the BB and/or Bellows engaged w/ the Ampeg path gives me the closest thing to the "perfect" driven sound as I think I've accomplished to date, but requires a fair bump in volume when switching back to just the OB1 path alone. It'd be really great to be able to control that mix hands free...

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 am

StevenO wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 am
Damn, those sound like great mods! ....Sound clips? :whistle:
I haven't recorded the FZ-3 yet, but here's a little clip with the FZ-2. Not a very exhaustive showcase of what the pedal can do, but I really only use it for this kinda stuff, so it's the best I can offer at the moment.
IIRC I was playing a jazzmaster (or possibly Yamaha SA-20) on the middle position, and the amp was set fairly dirty. The FZ-2 was on the Fuzz II setting (scooped) with the gain about halfway up.