In praise of the Ibanez AD MINI

Everyone needs a stompbox.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

In praise of the Ibanez AD MINI

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:56 am

Putting together a tiny pedalboard for an EU run coming up (have to travel light). Bought a KTR (leaving the full-size Centaur at home), Polytune Mini... need a Tonebender copy + volume solution. Trying to keep it small.

And an Ibanez AD MINI. Wanted a decent BBD delay that's tiny; didn't need to be the most amazing thing in the world.

But man-- I received it yesterday and it might sneakily be my favorite delay that I own. Longer delay times and sounds just as cool... maybe better? than the original AD9s I've used. Maybe even as good as the AD80, but in a different way. It just works... not as funky-murky as my longstanding go-to DOD 680. No modulation options like the Memory Man that's on my "regular" board. But it just SOUNDS COOL and is tiny!

For 70 bucks? At any size, it's kind of a no-brainer to me. Best part: not some obscure vintage expensive thing, so if/when some baggage handler smashes it, I just replace it.

I'm a believer. Small complaint: the delay time knob sticks up above the metal "lip" of the enclosure, which means a face-on impact could easily be a death blow. But at the price, and size, and sound, I'll take my chances.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: In praise of the Ibanez AD MINI

Post by PJazzmaster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 am

thanks for the hint. I am a happy DM-2 User since the 90's, my only other delay is a Maxon AD-80 which is also great but less user friendly. The boss always sounds right.Is the 600ms of the mini really useable? I mean, do you use it? I once had a Maxon AD 900 which was nice but the delay time was simply far too long for me (and I found that a longer range makes it harder to find the sweet spot for the "right" short setting). I got nice long delay sounds out of the ad 900 but it's not what I am after :)
Side note: what is your tour schedule and which project and or solo (I am still spinning your solo record from time to time :) ).

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am

PJazzmaster wrote:thanks for the hint. I am a happy DM-2 User since the 90's, my only other delay is a Maxon AD-80 which is also great but less user friendly. The boss always sounds right.Is the 600ms of the mini really useable? I mean, do you use it? I once had a Maxon AD 900 which was nice but the delay time was simply far too long for me (and I found that a longer range makes it harder to find the sweet spot for the "right" short setting). I got nice long delay sounds out of the ad 900 but it's not what I am after
Side note: what is your tour schedule and which project and or solo (I am still spinning your solo record from time to time ).
VERY usable! It sounds great all the way up through the longest times. And with lots of feedback, the repeats fall apart in a lovely way. Basically, just what I'd want a BBD to do.

Tour schedule here:

http://bradallenwilliams.com/schedule-adversary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 am

thx, I'll try one when I get a chance.
All the best for the tour!

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks for the evaluation/review. I'll have to check one out.

Slightly off topic thoughts about various analog delays.

I keep going back to Ibanez analog delays (having started with a beat up ad80 as my very first pedal). The Ibanez AD series have a different character than other analog delays: the repeats seem to be warmer/muddier/? in just the right ways. (The Boss DM-2, for example, seems to have really distinct repeats, even if they sit right, and the DMM doesn't have the body...). Maybe the AD80 has a longer attack (and decay) for the repeats?

I tend to keep one on all the time for a bit of ambience, depth, movement, etc. playing Rickenbacker (or jaguar), mostly clean, usually through a Fender something with reverb. Maybe darker delays work with that approach.

In the spectrum of Ibanez-family delays, the AD80 is on the murky (and really short) side with the Maxon AD999 on the too clean (or distinct?) for my taste and long delay side.
From dark to bright (entirely subjective): AD80 / UE405 / AD202 / [Boss DM-2] AD900 / AD9, UE305, ADL, Delay Champ [Boss DM-3, Malekko 600 dark] / AD999. (I haven't used the AD99 or the DE7, so can't comment).

(Splitting hairs: I think the delay on the UE305 is an AD9, as may be the delay on the UE405 with gold housing and 9-series footswitches).

I still haul around the UE405 rack for the delay (really, really close to an ad80, and because I like the other effects), so it's great to hear that the mini holds its own.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 pm

sweet. hopefully i'll have time to catch your show and have a beer or three after

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 pm

I'd like to second every bit of praise in this thread, as well as mention my favourite feature: it's the most adorable pedal of all time! Tiny and pink. :-* It's on my board and gets a lot of compliments just for its looks!

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:41 am

;D There's your new band name.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 am

I have been hesitant about these "mini" trend of pedals, but damn if they aren't actually great. I have a Boss DM-2 clone made by Mooer. It sounds fantastic, and I'm thinking of finding a good cheap AD Mini as well, just because of your glowing review.

The Malekko mini pedals are also awesome. I found a Malekko Trem pedal for $50 and it's amazing. It's become my favourite Trem pedal. I swear there isn't a bad Trem sound in that pedal. I prefer it to the Trem on my Princeton Reverb and it sounds "better" than my Supa Trem, not to mention way lighter and smaller.

Good stuff. :)