Help me to build my rig for music with DJs !!!!

Everyone needs a stompbox.
raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help me to build my rig for music with DJs !!!!

Post by raphaël » Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 am

Hi everyone,

I need serious help here ;D

I've joined a DJ crew/band.
We talked a lot about my possible rig, and we decided to not using an actual amp. I mean, they pretty much forced me to make this decision >:( :'( .
I'm completely depressed...plus it's music for clubs and beaches and stuffs...and I like tube amps and 60's/70's psych rock indie pop folk music.
But I have several mouths to feed, including mine, so...
Plus it might be a lot of fun, and outside of my comfort zone.

SO!!!!!
Now I'm lost.
I will be in direct, plugged into the mixing desk, or at least into the mixing area of one DJ machine/thing (don't really know how to explain it with proper words :D ).
I need to find an amp emulation in a pedal enclosure...like those Tech 21 things?
Can I find something else?
Do I need a preamp? can I find tubes in some of those?

Do I forget something?
Could I think of another rig concept?

I'll need a good comp pedal too...
And a kickass A/B box, ideally with separate volume knobs.

AND last but not least, a kickass looper, maybe like those Boomerang I used to see on every pedalboard.
Is there something else here too?

Ok,
I really need your help here.

Thank you in advance :-*
raph

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me to build my rig for music with DJs !!!!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Yo Raph!

For amp-in-a-box, no amp stuff, definitely check out the Tech 21 stuff. I just picked up the Q-Strip for my bass rig as it sounds to me like vintage gear. This is what do me:
https://youtu.be/31ZBvCPtxkk
I haven't had time to play with it yet, but Tech 21 makes killer stuff.

For looper, simple and small (and my personal favorite) is the TC Ditto X2.

For cool and interesting A-B boxes, check out some of the stuff from Saturnworks pedals. Brian makes some really cool stuff and is nice guy to boot. Reasonably priced too!
http://saturnworkspedals.com
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 pm

A buddy of mine who does the wedding circuit hasn't used an amp in years. Last I heard he was using a POD HD floor model plugged into PA dujour. He swears by it.

I myself like the Boss GT100, but don't think I'd ever use one as my entire rig.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Tue May 30, 2017 1:28 am

I'd have to agree with both posts above, but I lean to the Tech 21 stuff. I have their BassDriver DI V1 which I use for both guitar and bass. I've A/B'd it with both my 60's Vibrochamp, and my early 70s Twin Reverb; man, does it sound the part, and 98% of the time feel the part. They also have the Paradriver which offers even more flexibility. Both have phantom power/ground switch, line/instrument switch, and a parallel out jack. Just an incredible tool. I miss using amps now and then at home but for gigging and recording it's incredible; just my board in one hand and my guitar in the other.

For compression the Cali76 is bar none the top tier choice, but it comes with that same level of price tag (Mind you, it's a studio quality compressor in a pedal). The difference in the noise floor and audio quality is astounding. Some cheaper but still good options (i mean, we're talking about gigging, right?) are the Wampler Ego Compressor or the Keeley 4 knob compressor; then of course the much raved about Boss CS-2

I'd also agree with the Ditto X2. It is incredibly user friendly, with some neat frills, and incredible sound. The Boomerang is next level fancy, but flippin' massive; I never wanted to get into one for size alone.
Jesus

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 am

Thank you guys for your inputs...and sorry for the slow response, I had to thinning the possibilities first.

I think I'll take the Tech21 route...don't really know why or how now, but it seems easy.

As for the copression, thanks Nicholas for the Cali76, didn't know about them. I wanted, maybe, the Xotic one, the SPcomp?
Seemed small and easy to use.
But those Cali76 seem quite great.
I want something simple though...will see.

I will need two loopers actually, one simple (like the Ditto x2 ;) ) at the beginning of the chain (pre modulations/reverbs/delays) and one at the very end.
I don't know for the last one, between the Boomerang, the Pigtronix Infinity or a big Boss RC something.
That one needs to be huge and full of possibilities.

I found my reverbs, I guess...I "need" 3 of them.
Just out of curiosity, is there a great spring reverb pedal? very deep and lush and a bit too much? I like the Solidgoldfx one, but I'm afraid it may lack something, like a very big and deep spring tone...

I think I found the fuzz.
ODs are always a problem.
I need to find one or two "always on" pedals, for replacing my amp, and before the Tech21 (if I think of it well :wacko: )...like those Catalinbread Foundation ODs concept...
I need a VOX tone and a Fender tone.
Need to watch some demos...AND to find the pedals :D

Modulations are ok, I know exactly what I want.

Delays though, don't really know.
Need something digital I guess, to be not lost into the overall mix.
I spotted the new Empress Echosystem, or the old one, the Superdelay...don't know.
I think I like the TC Triple Delay...any thoughts about that one?
Keep in mind I need something big AND powerfull AND with a tap tempo.

Thank you again for your help,
Good day to you OSG :)
raph

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:40 am

The Carl Martin Headroom is a great spring reverb, but it is massive. I have one mounted under my pedal board.
I also have the Infinity Looper which is a great piece of kit. I've not found any real flaws with mine yet. It does everything I need it too and a 100X more.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm

For the looper: don't even think about buying one without midi sync. Seriously.