Evolution of a pedalboard

Everyone needs a stompbox.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Evolution of a pedalboard

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 am

Thanks for all the good vibes guys! :)

Fuzzjunkie that is an awesome finalised board...I love how you can detach part of it. I was really into the thread you posted when you went from vintage to new!

Sometimes I have thought about pulling out the Angelbaby (the extra delay with the chorusing), but it is such an incredible sound that I have only lasted a week without it! :D

I thought about maybe putting a compressor in its spot, or just using it as a "guest pedal" space, but that would be a slippery slope of buying more and more pedals...and you know how it goes, eventually I will end up buying a pedal I really like that doesn't fit on the space of the board...this is the sort of thing that sometimes keeps me up at night! :fp: :D
Resident Spartan.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am

I love this thread... it's cool to see the development. My wife and I were looking at our own old pictures recently, and it was funny to watch my board swell, contract, shift, etc. into what it is now. It's really neat to see your progression. And your boards are always so elegantly spaced and arranged. I dunno how you do it so well!

And I agree about the "guest space" -- it's a slippery slope indeed! :D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Heheh! Many thanks!

I actually lay out my boards in Adobe Illustrator where I have everything set to life-size...it makes board layouts real clean :)
Resident Spartan.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:43 pm

But you seemed to keep things reasonable .....I was expecting some giant 6 foot monster.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks. That was a fun read (with great pictures). I totally understand...
Over the years I did small board > bigger board > Ibanez UE400/405 + fx500 > back to the board with all the respective ibanez/maxon pedals (well, not the EQ) > more complicated board with none of the ibanez pedals > back to the UE400/405.

But a small board would be so great for tour...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:But you seemed to keep things reasonable .....I was expecting some giant 6 foot monster.

heheh, I could never go that big...no space in our apartment! :D
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 pm

cestlamort wrote:Thanks. That was a fun read (with great pictures). I totally understand...
Over the years I did small board > bigger board > Ibanez UE400/405 + fx500 > back to the board with all the respective ibanez/maxon pedals (well, not the EQ) > more complicated board with none of the ibanez pedals > back to the UE400/405.

But a small board would be so great for tour...

sounds like we've been at similar places! :)
Resident Spartan.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 am

Most of my gear GAS has calmed down, I am happy with my amps and guitars [we'll just ignore the Mustang project I have getting refinised :blush: ] but I am still hustling pedals.

Rearranging the pedal board and imagining all the different scenarios you'll (almost never) be in is part of the fun. At this point I insist on a few established flavors (tube screamer, Klon KTR, Rat, and Moogerfooger Delay), but the pedals I use to get them can still change a bit.

A nice well-laid out minimalist pedal board is a thing of beauty. 8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:59 am

Jaguar018 wrote:Most of my gear GAS has calmed down, I am happy with my amps and guitars [we'll just ignore the Mustang project I have getting refinised ] but I am still hustling pedals.

Rearranging the pedal board and imagining all the different scenarios you'll (almost never) be in is part of the fun. At this point I insist on a few established flavors (tube screamer, Klon KTR, Rat, and Moogerfooger Delay), but the pedals I use to get them can still change a bit.

A nice well-laid out minimalist pedal board is a thing of beauty.

You are definitely onto something...laying out the "foundations" with some core effects makes things a lot easier.

The interesting thing that I find with effects is that I can be cyclical about them...I will go through say 2-3 months of needing and using a Lofi Loop Junkie, and then suddenly it ends...so I sell it...and the after a few months I need a...you guessed it a Lofi Loop Junkie!! I've had at least three in the past! :D
Resident Spartan.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 am

Perhaps the next time you decide to get the Lofi Loop Junkie off your board you should just put it on a nice shelf somewhere and wait for the next time you want it back. :D It also seems like you have things pretty nailed down with the Klon and Echoczar. A little dirt and delay is all I'd really want if I had to choose-- so that basically stays the same. It's phasers and flangers-- two effects I use sparingly at best-- that I constantly fret over. :fp:

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

You are right...I really need to keep the next one! :)

The Klon and Czar are real cornerstones...the Model H too...and then there's the Honey Bee for low gain Chess-records-type-stuff...and the Bone Bender adding the fuzzy sizzle 60s style...I'm really happy with this line up.

I know I could squeeze a couple of Zvex pedals in between the two rows...but I will fight the impulse as long as I can! :D :)
Resident Spartan.