Whats your fave amp with a big muff?

Make it loud here.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Whats your fave amp with a big muff?

Post by fuzzking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:42 pm

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:I like them primarily through British-style EL34 amps. Never had much luck with them running through Fenders (primarily blackface Bassmen/silverface Twins) in a band context, though they sound great in the studio. I'd say my favorite was an IC muff through my 70s Vox AC-50, but my ARC Green BM sounds amazing through my Selmer Tn'B Mk. II.
pretty much this. loved muffs (triangle, ram's head) through british voiced amps (eg. plexi or ac-30), but when i made the switch to fenderish amps, i didn't really like the combination. but of course it's all in the ear of the beholder. ;D
Nobody exists on purpose.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:38 am

fuzzking wrote:
ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:I like them primarily through British-style EL34 amps. Never had much luck with them running through Fenders (primarily blackface Bassmen/silverface Twins) in a band context, though they sound great in the studio. I'd say my favorite was an IC muff through my 70s Vox AC-50, but my ARC Green BM sounds amazing through my Selmer Tn'B Mk. II.
pretty much this. loved muffs (triangle, ram's head) through british voiced amps (eg. plexi or ac-30), but when i made the switch to fenderish amps, i didn't really like the combination. but of course it's all in the ear of the beholder.
And context too- if you're running a 3 piece, there's more room for a muff on top of the Fender midscoop, where as with two or more guitars, things can get lost, for example.

That said, too, there's also the OD/EQ stacking trick with Muffs, but I'm always trying to thin my pedalboard down more and more so that I don't have to rely on two pedals to do the job of one, which may not be an issue with some people.

Yosemite Dan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Yosemite Dan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:57 am

I had an old cream-tolex Mesa/Boogie Studio .22 Caliber combo w/ wheat grille (w/ graphic EQ, but the non + model) that I set for 'Fender' clean sound, and ran an old original EH Big Muff pedal into. Sounded like Jeff Beck on the 'Blow By Blow' album!

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Kadenray wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I'm torn between getting an ac30 with a little more headroom, or a Ampeg vt-22, and never having to worry about midrange or headroom ever again.

I have an ampeg vt-22. It's just godlike on so many levels....the cleans are sharp and spanky...but has a chime sound all their own...pairs well with most pedals....it cranks and will peel paint off walls. It has so many EQ possibilities....

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Maybe someone can clarify what this amp was for me: back in the early '90s, my bandmate had a Marshall JTM (I'm pretty sure) 2x12 combo, incidentally it had blonde or butterscotch tolex that I haven't seen since. It had top-mounted controls and a brown grille. Regardless, we all had sweet, cheap, big-box Sovtek Muffs back then, and my LP into my green Muff through that amp was fuggin incredible. Like a warm velvet bathrobe.

Anybody know off the top of your head what amp that might have been?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 am

3 pages worth of every possible amp out there simply proves that the big muff sounds amazing wherever you plug it into.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Remulak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Remulak » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am

My living room setup usually is big muff -> drip edge champ. Sounds awesome.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:55 am

countertext wrote:Maybe someone can clarify what this amp was for me: back in the early '90s, my bandmate had a Marshall JTM (I'm pretty sure) 2x12 combo, incidentally it had blonde or butterscotch tolex that I haven't seen since. It had top-mounted controls and a brown grille. Regardless, we all had sweet, cheap, big-box Sovtek Muffs back then, and my LP into my green Muff through that amp was fuggin incredible. Like a warm velvet bathrobe.

Yes. I would think you're talking about the JTM 60. There was also a JTM 30.

I had two JTM 60s with the 3x10 speaker layout, as the first one self-destructed beyond the point of practical repair in the warranty period. I used the replacement as trade-in value at my local music shop for something much better as I wasn't totally happy with the sound. Someone else bought it very shortly after - I saw it had been brought back in for repairs (possibly terminal failure) less than a month later.

You wouldn't see many around these days, as they were incredibly unreliable, poorly designed/built pieces of shit, destined for and deserving of ending up in the landfill.

"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am

andy_tchp wrote:
countertext wrote:Maybe someone can clarify what this amp was for me: back in the early '90s, my bandmate had a Marshall JTM (I'm pretty sure) 2x12 combo, incidentally it had blonde or butterscotch tolex that I haven't seen since. It had top-mounted controls and a brown grille.

Nah, that wasn't it. It was a really good amp. It wasn't new when he got it, may have been from the '70s.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:07 pm

countertext wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
countertext wrote:Maybe someone can clarify what this amp was for me: back in the early '90s, my bandmate had a Marshall JTM (I'm pretty sure) 2x12 combo, incidentally it had blonde or butterscotch tolex that I haven't seen since. It had top-mounted controls and a brown grille.

Nah, that wasn't it. It was a really good amp. It wasn't new when he got it, may have been from the '70s.
Marshall Bluesbreaker, maybe?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:11 pm

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:Marshall Bluesbreaker, maybe?
Ah, yep, I think you're right - I skipped over the 'top mounted controls' bit. Sounding like 'a warm velvet bathrobe' probably should've been a give-away that it wasn't like the one I posted too :D

Like this?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

dugwolf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dugwolf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:14 pm

I've got a Mesa Mark II. With the mids cranked my IC Muff sounds amazing through it.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Figured it out: JMP MkII 50w from ~'77
Emerald City Guitars has one now.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 pm

andy_tchp wrote: Yes. I would think you're talking about the JTM 60. There was also a JTM 30.

I had two JTM 60s with the 3x10 speaker layout, as the first one self-destructed beyond the point of practical repair in the warranty period. I used the replacement as trade-in value at my local music shop for something much better as I wasn't totally happy with the sound. Someone else bought it very shortly after - I saw it had been brought back in for repairs (possibly terminal failure) less than a month later.

You wouldn't see many around these days, as they were incredibly unreliable, poorly designed/built pieces of shit, destined for and deserving of ending up in the landfill.

I beg to differ.
Here´s the deal,i agree with you 100% that a stock JTM-60 is a poor excuse for an amp. Absolutely. What they mainly suffer from is a very British.."oversight",and that is one of heat and ventilation.
Please have in mind the Austin of some vintage back in the late -50s. It had a tendancy to have its complete exhaust fall of. So...next year model what had they done to remedy the situation?
Well,they had included a pair of gloves in the trunk so the owner could pick his exhaust up and go have in reinstalled. This is the people,from an engineering standpoint,we´re talking of.
"The parts falling off this car is of finest British engineering". Indeed.

Enter the JTM-60/JCM-600.
Granted. It sports a couple of REALLY die hard design issues. ANY idiot should be able to understand that if you install a pair of EL-34´s running at 480 volts laying down VERY close to the chassis and stamp cutouts in said chassis the heat omitted will raise. That is a no brainer. Now..leave it to the British NOT to take this into consideration and thus...NOT putting a vent ontop of the cab for the early models.
To add insult to injury the amps main smoothing caps are installed just besides them cutouts too... :D . Hoooooooowever...
Get the chassis out and install some sort of vent if not already in place. In turn pick up a regular 12V computer fan,the idea here is NOT to create a storm but mere flow,and..run that from rectified voltage for the low tension side of the amp-first thing. A computer fan is so silent in operation that you won´t even know it´s there and the vent ontop leaves somewhere for all that hot air to evacuate. That takes care of THAT problem.

Next up get rid of them absolutely moronic "clipper diodes" that are installed within. Yes..this will take the hand of a competent tech as it sport a vertical mounted PCB that sorry to say is half cumbersome to get out of there.
Not only that but..as them diodes are bye-bye you will also need to have a 470k trimpot installed to keep amplification level sans the damn diodes in check (read-make it adjustable to cater to players need)

If you in turn feel you want even more "rocknroll" out of it feel free to reset cathode resistor values for the involved gainstages. What comes out the other end is an ENTIRELY different animal.
One that can be both used and abused and still be trusted upon.

The JTM-30 is nowhere even close to being as troubled. Mainly as it has way less installed stuff onboard.

It is VERY rare to see a 60/600 come in the door with busted transformers for instance (read-expensive repairs). They DO however show up every so often for what at least i consider to be bullshit repairs.
The design flaws of them taken care of they´re REAL good amps. To the point where they´ll take a head on blast from your favorite 12ga.