Redknob the twin vs twin reverb 65 reissue.

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Redknob the twin vs twin reverb 65 reissue.

Post by Racing » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:59 am

The redknobs to my knowledge are all PCB based.
So handwired...nah. Not so much.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 am

Racing wrote:
That there is a Super 60. Came in a few flavors. Stock..they suck. Honest to god,they friggin suck. They hum,bitch an moan like no tomorrow. Why is you can get one for a song.
Never been as disappointed with an amps as I was with my super 60.

Pretty much the opposite with an early SF twin. That said, I've always found a big muff to function as a cloaking device in a live setting.

bigsbyman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigsbyman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Racing wrote:The redknobs to my knowledge are all PCB based.
So handwired...nah. Not so much.
Yikes, maybe I'm thinking of the Soldono-era Fenders! I think those were hand-wired. Sorry!

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:58 am

cestlamort wrote:
Racing wrote:
That there is a Super 60. Came in a few flavors. Stock..they suck. Honest to god,they friggin suck. They hum,bitch an moan like no tomorrow. Why is you can get one for a song.
Never been as disappointed with an amps as I was with my super 60.

Pretty much the opposite with an early SF twin. That said, I've always found a big muff to function as a cloaking device in a live setting.
Uhu. 101% agreed. To the point where i sort of ask myself,WTF were they thinking?
Read the story of them a while back and as i gathered it the design team were on a REAL tight budget by Fender buuuuut...whatever cause budget or no..them amps sux bigtime to the point where i for one at least understand fully why noone wants them around.
That´s...how i ran into mine way back (have been sold since-a few times even). Seing the money involved it kind of cost of nothing to question the thing at a more indepth level..which is why and what i did.

So what am i saying? What i´m saying is that seing that they´re REAL easy to improve upon by someone into the game,no wonder seing they´re basically unusable as is. The grounding of the first hit -lyte (the ones in series) is a given and TBH it attests to that the design team missed out on tubeamps 101 in my book. It´s a mistake that simply isn´t done,yet history repeats itself as far as that over and over...
The PCB in turn is rather typical of the era and "regular" sized components are used. Ie; when reset as far as values it can be turned into a real screamer as all the basics are there really.
This..goes for the ENTIRE redknob series of amps. So i recap. If you´re into the market for a REAL cheap platform to build something of your own out of..a Super60 (and its derivates) are to be considered in my book. Good,sturdy and beefy transformers that´ll take you the full 9yrds. No argument. A PCB that´ll work and that lets you replace resistor and capacitor values to hearts desire without falling to pieces...

What´s more it is an insanely loud amp seing the mere 2pcs of 6L6´s in there. So with the job done only drawback i can think of is its weight. Cause heavy it is..no doubt.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:05 am

I have a 100 Watt Pro Tube Twin which has the original Eminence Speakers. It is a great sounding Amp. Very Loud with beautiful Clean Tone. But, It does have a Cut switch that lowers to 22 Watts which is perfect for most situations. But it's good to have the extra Power. Never know when you might need it. It also came with Casters that make transporting a little easier.

The 65 Twin is probably the best option for most though as it is the most common & familiar. Resale will probably be higher when that point comes. Is it a better Amp??? Subjective.

Larson

exposedthroat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by exposedthroat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 am

I jump both inputs on my Sovtek Mig50 and/or Sovtek Mig30 and find it has worked best for my Muff. Something about the Sovtek's really pairs them nicely with the muff, maybe the fact that they are both Mike Matthews creations? I haven't found a better pairing for any of my Muffs. Plus you can still find Mig50's for pretty damn cheap.