Quirky old solid-state amps

Make it loud here.
loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Quirky old solid-state amps

Post by loveinathens » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:33 pm

Do you have some old, fun solid-state amps here? Japanese? American? Other? Share your quirky SS shit here.

Here's my old gigging amp, a surprisingly loud 1960s Ace Tone (eventually became Roland) SA-2. 25w, 1x12" speaker.

I'm not sure if any of the work done on this amp made it to the development of the JC120, but something tells me it's a clone of a Fender circuit done with transistors. Can anyone help me out? It's got three inputs (treble, high, low), two EQ knobs (treble, bass), a two knob tremolo, and a single knob spring reverb.

Demo recording here:
https://soundcloud.com/loveinathens/ace-tone-sa-2-test

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quirky old solid-state amps

Post by rhythmjones » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:15 am

I have a 60's U.S. made Solid State Vox Pathfinder and an early Yamaha Thirty 112 (before they added the G).

IDK if those are quirky enough...
- Mitch

hella1hella
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hella1hella » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:16 am

I used to have an acetone head and cab. Best solid state amp I've ever owned or heard!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:03 am

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Tell me everything about that Libra! I'm so curious about those Fender Zodiac amps!
- Mitch

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:56 pm

rhythmjones wrote:I have a 60's U.S. made Solid State Vox Pathfinder and an early Yamaha Thirty 112 (before they added the G).

I didn't know the Pathfinder was that old! Pics of these things?
hella1hella wrote:I used to have an acetone head and cab. Best solid state amp I've ever owned or heard!
Are these still the SA Series? Someone was selling an Ace Tone 2x12 cab a while back, but I haven't gotten around to that thing since it was like 4 cities over.
Danley wrote:Image

Are you running the cab with the Zodiac or something? How much do these things usually go for?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:56 pm

ACE TONE!!

Big fan right here. Mine's got tubes, but I'd love to get my hands on a SS one. So cheap and good!
This is an excellent rectangle

Axeman52
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales

Post by Axeman52 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:46 pm

One of my favourite quirky old solid states is the HH IC100/IC100S (pretty similar amps with some minor differences - the IC100S is basically a simplified version without active treble and bass EQ, tremolo or spring reverb).

(This is actually a picture of my very own IC100S which I pulled from a completely unrelated source on google images... weird.. I bought it on ebay and this was one of the pics the seller uploaded)

These amps have a very neutral, transparent voicing. when used clean, they have a lot of headroom in the power amp but the preamp is easy to push into breakup, especially with humbuckers. If you take care not to boost the signal too much, this is a great clean platform for use with pedals and there's another guy in a local band with an IC100S who uses one with a multi fx unit to great effect. But that's not what these amps are best known for - They are best known for the hugely saturated wall of thick distortion introduced when you turn the "sustain" switch on - a distortion circuit with no gain control which appears to cause a huge volume drop and simply has too much gain to be useful... Until you realise that you can control the level of gain with the volume knob on the guitar, and if you turn it down enough you can even out the volume difference between clean and distorted tones and get a much more manageable level of gain out of the distortion setting which is a great starting point for dialing in the best tone you can from one of these amps.

Since the voicing is pretty flat, it really helps to turn the presence knob up quite a lot - this is the only EQ control that is pre-gain, and turning it up will bring out the upper mids that give clarity and definition to the fundamental tones of the guitar, within the overall onslaught of distortion. The treble and bass controls are post-gain, and on the IC100S, I often find I have to turn the treble up all the way when using distortion, because otherwise it just filters out too much high end and muffles the tone - it seems to work like a low pass filter. I also like to keep the bass pretty high, too - lots of people find the distortion a bit overpowered and oversaturated in the low frequencies, and try to cut it out, but since the control is post-gain, all this does is hollow out the sound, rather than cleaning up the low frequency range. I like the "roar" of the low end and want to make the most of it, anyhow.

Did I mention, there's a power output switch, too? Studio and Stage. Studio is basically "useful and relatively noise free" mode. Stage is "lots of white noise, and every volume setting is too loud". These amps are completely insane, volume wise, and not in a good way. Loudest 100 watt amps I've ever heard... my Fender Bassman 100's got nothing on this. I never use the stage mode, even on stage, because my hyper-sensitive aspie ears can't cope with the volume levels even on a minimal setting - it's just always too loud, and very noisy too. Even in studio mode it can get unreasonable at the higher numbers, but at least it allows for a much more usable range, and a much lower noise floor.

Well, that's 3 paragraphs... I could go on for many more hours but it's getting late and I don't think anyone really cares about what I'm rambling on about anyways
"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response but rather, it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs." - Imam al-Shafi'i

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:13 pm

rhythmjones wrote:Tell me everything about that Libra! I'm so curious about those Fender Zodiac amps!
105 watt RMS (had a tech scope it out to verify), Chassis says it's a 69 , and the label on it says it originally came with JBLs (long replaced). It has a very good, Fender-y, nice tone, especially at low volumes, if squeaky clean surf sounds are your thing. BEAUTIFUL spring reverb that drenches the tone on max, best thing about it. The tremolo effect is almost nonexistent, something in the amp needs to be replaced.

Tons of clean room, but I can get it to distort using a cheap guitar of mine with ~20k DC Ohm humbuckers, not as pretty of a noise. If I plug my Champ 600 into the internal speakers (cheap Rocket 50s right now), both amps flat out the Champ is louder :P (4 ohms impedance, matches both amps). Does NOT take pedals well either, turns into buzzy, trashy solid state dist....

Since it's best at low volumes, it's my 100 watt practice amp basically :D
Danley wrote:Are you running the cab with the Zodiac or something? How much do these things usually go for?
Nope, just sitting on top of the cab for looks (although technically it would work, I'm not sure how much volume benefit I'd get out of it as it would be a big impedance mis-match, 16 ohm cab). Never seen one come up for sale... Though I think there was a Scorpio or Capricorn on eBay for a while, that took ages to sell at maybe $300 . I'd buy another, if for no other reason than need for parts :)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Not mine, my bandmate's:

I've had some amp woes in the past year and started using this live- it's falling apart, and the whole chassis actually fell out at the last show we played; it has a pretty nice clean sound and takes pedals really well, but can also be pushed into "overdrive".

The distortion isn't what I'd call nice, but it's pretty delightfully trashy; it works great for the music we make.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:39 am

loveinathens wrote:
rhythmjones wrote:I have a 60's U.S. made Solid State Vox Pathfinder and an early Yamaha Thirty 112 (before they added the G).

I didn't know the Pathfinder was that old! Pics of these things?
Here's mine...

They're U.S. Made by Thomas Organ who was importing the British Voxes. It's surprisingly well-rounded tone-wise. I bought it to scratch my vintage Vibrochamp itch, for about 1/4 of the price.
- Mitch

Sound for Sandwiches
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sound for Sandwiches » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:32 pm

We used to have a sonax like this one (pic pulled from a random website). it was pretty cool looking, squeaky clean and great reverb. It had no breakup whatsoever and not particularly loud. It never got used so we traded it for something, can't remember anymore. It would be great if you were in a pretty quiet band or a solo performer and needed a clean amp- it was a very lightweight 2x10.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Just picked this up a couple of months ago. Ladies and gentlemen, the best solid state amp ever made. The mighty Sunn Concert Lead!

Freddy Le Cragg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Freddy Le Cragg » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:20 pm

My Carlsboro Marlin X150. The single best bass amp I have ever used. The thing is a monster.
Jazz Bass. Not Just For Proper Musicians.
[URL]https://www.reverbnation.com/freddylecragg[/URL]

e17
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by e17 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:01 am

That Kay at the bottom is mine. Picked it up for £15 at a boot sale. It sounds pretty nice actually. Great for home practice and I think the styling is pretty cool. The speaker gets buzzy as soon as it gets a bit loud so I might find a cheap replacement for it sometime. Definitely usable, even takes drive pedals ok too.