1965 Ampeg Reverberocket II Speaker Suggestions?

Make it loud here.
Beau In Space
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1965 Ampeg Reverberocket II Speaker Suggestions?

Post by Beau In Space » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I bought one of these little fortresses of sound via musicgoround.com. People were trying to bump prices on ebay with infinite relists up to $1250.00. The average completed listing prices being around $650.00. I rummaged through the vast corners of the net looking for a decent deal. The store I purchased from was in Pennsylvania, I live in Tennessee. They had her listed for $479.00 + $80.00 shipping. I called to inquire about condition as the post simply said "Amazing tone". The pictures showed little wear cosmetically. I asked the young guy on the phone a series of questions about sound and function. He assured me it was almost in closet time-traverler condition. So, I talked them down on shipping to $50.00. 529.00 total and boy was I excited.

The amp arrives and they packaged everything very well. Plug her in and...uh oh.

Pots scratchy, reverb thin and weak. Unresponsive pots. Reverb emits loud echoing pop sporadically. Low end is muddy. High end is harsh.

I called them and he hung up on me after informing me that their returns are only acceptable 48 hours after receipt. Not delivery. Receipt.

Luckily, Nashville has a slew of techs competing for business. I called a notorious vintage amp wiz and he is going to quote me this week when I bring it in.

The bench labor is $70.00 an hour.

So, is there anything I can do, with little to no experience to cut down the time he has to work on it?

I am sure I can replace the speaker if needed for a higher efficiency. Should I clean up the inside to avoid him taking that initiative? What would you use to clean everything up on a cosmetic level?

I'll post pictures tomorrow of the outside and guts.
Last edited by Beau In Space on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

al30
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket II

Post by al30 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 am

If you don't have experience you should not be inside an amp. Not much you can do other than swapping a few preamp tubes to see if it helps.

Sounds like the pots need cleaned. It wouldn't surprise me if it need a cap job. Those are great amps. Once it's up an running you'll have a really nice amp.

AL

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 am

Did the amp come with the tubes in it? Check and make sure your tubes are in the sockets tightly. A tube being wiggled out makes a huge difference.

Beau In Space
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beau In Space » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I've checked the tubes twice since I received it. I asked the guys to foam wrap them separate.

Yeah Al, I had a feeling to just let the professional play around in there. I read a bunch about Reverberockets being a poor man's Deluxe Reverb; just hoping the tech can get her to that point without me spending over it's value.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 am

It is probably a simple fix for a tech.

I am, however, a bit baffled by their return policy. (Was it sent to one of their stores? What is the difference between receipt and delivery? I'd definitely contact the manager and better business bureau, etc if you're unhappy.)

Mil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Pots are easily cleaned with Caig DeoxIT 5. You don't need any technical knowledge to do it yourself, be sure that the amp is not plugged in and avoid touching any wiring with bare hands as capacitors need time to bleed out (I assume you don't know how to bleed them).
This is what all pros use for cleaning, it's not cheap but a bottle lasts a long time and does wonders.
As far as other problems go, it could be many things. When buying old amps factor in your head some money for tech time and parts (tubes and recap job as a rule).
Last edited by Mil on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beau In Space
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beau In Space » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:59 pm

cestlamort wrote:It is probably a simple fix for a tech.

I am, however, a bit baffled by their return policy. (Was it sent to one of their stores? What is the difference between receipt and delivery? I'd definitely contact the manager and better business bureau, etc if you're unhappy.)
It has been over a month now..

I thought about following up, but the potential in the amp outweighed the flaws. Plus, I would have to pay to ship it back. The difference between delivery and receipt is that I would have needed to receive the amp within 2 days of actual purchase in order to be eligible for a return. Music Go Round will not be getting any more of my business, however.

Mil wrote:Pots are easily cleaned with Caig DeoxIT 5. You don't need any technical knowledge to do it yourself, be sure that the amp is not plugged in and avoid touching any wiring with bare hands as capacitors need time to bleed out (I assume you don't know how to bleed them).

This is what all pros use for cleaning, it's not cheap but a bottle lasts a long time and does wonders.
As far as other problems go, it could be many things. When buying old amps factor in your head at least $100 for tech time and small parts (if tubes are good).
I may look up a guide on this. I appreciate the recommendation!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01 pm

I get my electronics clearer from the auto parts store. Just remove the knobs, spray twist the knobs repeat.

amplituden
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amplituden » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 pm

I have one of these I think the same year, amazing amp.

Get it tuned up by a pro they are awesome.

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beau In Space
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beau In Space » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:22 pm

JazzBlaster wrote:I get my electronics clearer from the auto parts store. Just remove the knobs, spray twist the knobs repeat.
Sounds easy enough!
amplituden wrote:I have one of these I think the same year, amazing amp.

Get it tuned up by a pro they are awesome.
Wonderful! How much clean headroom do you have with yours? Specifically, what "o'clock" on the volume knob can you retain a clean platform?
DocCarlson wrote:
Beau In Space wrote: I thought about following up, but the potential in the amp outweighed the flaws. Plus, I would have to pay to ship it back. The difference between delivery and receipt is that I would have needed to receive the amp within 2 days of actual purchase in order to be eligible for a return. Music Go Round will not be getting any more of my business, however.

I used to work at a Music Go Round and their official return policy is supposed to be within two days of the item arriving on your doorstep. It's still a bullshit policy but not quite as absurd as two days from purchase. If that one is presenting the policy as anything else they're violating the corporate rule. http://www.musicgoround.com/return-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking of shipping, is it possible that the amp was damaged en route? Again drawing from my experience working at that store it is just possible that the amp tested out just fine when they put it in the box and then something unpleasant happened while it was in the hands of UPS.
My receipt stated 2 days after receipt. Perhaps this is a context flaw on my part. I wouldn't really want to return it, just get a partial refund. It is all good, though.

It was thoroughly packaged in 3 layers of foam. I believe all the issues are with its age. I don't think a tech has ever looked inside of it since it's birthday.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Beau In Space wrote:I believe all the issues are with its age. I don't think a tech has ever looked inside of it since it's birthday.
I would bet it will sound great after a good service. I love these amps, when they're working right they sound fantastic!

Beau In Space
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beau In Space » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm

JazzBlaster wrote:
Beau In Space wrote:I believe all the issues are with its age. I don't think a tech has ever looked inside of it since it's birthday.
I would bet it will sound great after a good service. I love these amps, when they're working right they sound fantastic!
From what I've read, these are much loved. I mean, when I unwrapped it, I had the feeling it was "the one". Even the sound quality couldn't deter me. I feel guilty for how much I am looking forward to having it up and running; it is conflicting my zen. Haha.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

These are awesome when they work... so in the long run it will be worth it to pay the bench rates and get it cleaned up.

That said - if you are of a mind - I would go to town on the store that sold it to you until they issued at least a partial refund...

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm

best of luck getting it back up and running like it should. I've got a '66 and love it to death. I bought mine dead mint and regrettably blew the original speaker. I bought an Eminence Cannabis Rex and it really works well with the amp (if you have any thoughts of upgrading the speaker).

You asked earlier about headroom. I don't have a guitar with full-on humbuckers at the moment but with my Jaguar I can get it up to about 2-3 o'clock before it gets hairy. Even dimed it's a pretty clean sound (think The Ventures live tone). With my Firebird it breaks up a little sooner but it's still pretty clean...just a bit more rock n roll when it's blasting.

One final word...I had mine glossed over by a tech a couple of years ago (replaced a couple caps plus some new tubes) and he told me these amps are a bitch to open up so that might add to the bench fee with your tech if it takes him a while just to get inside the amp.

I assume yours has 7591 output tubes? Mine came with the original Ampeg-branded tubes from 1966 and when I took it to my tech he said they were no good and needed to be replaced. He put some JJs in and they lasted all of 6 months (and didn't sound anywhere NEAR as good). I decided for shits and giggles to throw the old tubes back in and they still sounded great. I ended up buying an NOS set of eBay a little while later and they sound just as good as the originals. Basically, if you can swing it get some old glass for this amp...the new 7591s suck.