Yamaha VR6000 opinions or experience?

Make it loud here.
WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Yamaha VR6000 opinions or experience?

Post by WonderCouncil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I've been interested in getting one of these for a couple years. They seem to rarely pop up on eBay or CL. I've got a lead on one though, just got off the phone with the seller, he'll be getting me a shipping quote on it.

It's a 2x12 stereo amp. Essentially two 50 watt 1x12 amps stuck together. Independent 3 band eq as well as parametric eq on each channel. Along with reverb and chorus of course. The main feature I'm interested in is the stereo FX loop.

As I understand it's a poor mans JC-120...only better (according to some). I was looking into the Dean Markley DMC-80 as well as the Ampeg 140C. But really had my heart set on the VR6000. I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience or thoughts on them. I've scoured the web and by all accounts it's a wonderful clean, loud amp. More or less what I'm looking for.

I'm into playing a lot of ambient, drone, shoegazer, dream pop style stuff. Although I'd be playing other styles with it as well as it'd be my main amp. I've had it in my mind for a long time that a stereo amp is what I want. Layering different effects on each channel. I really like the idea of being able to create a large sonic field where the sounds can interact with each other. I'd imagine feedback would be pretty fun too. 8)

It could also be used for running two different instruments or sound sources. Synths, feedback loops, samples or what ever else. Vocals even. Maybe even get together a stereo guitar. :freako:

The guy I'm getting it from I guess used it for a Fender Rhodes and pretty much set the controls and didn't mess with them. Sounds like some of the pots might be a little dirty but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be cleaned up.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Yamaha VR6000 opinions or experience?

Post by Horsefeather » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm

I realize your post is 5 years old but I just got one and am currently trying to figure out if the noisy chorus and reverb channels I'm experiencing are typical. Aside from that issue I'm quit happy with the VR6000 and look forward to exploring its capabilities more. They surely exceed my own..

If anyone happens to see this and also has experience with this amp and its quirks, please weigh in. It's rare enough that we need to stick together!