Alan Sparhawk on "I Could Live In Hope"?

Make it loud here.
surfdivision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Alan Sparhawk on "I Could Live In Hope"?

Post by surfdivision » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:44 am

I just stumbled on this cool interview...

http://silbermedia.com/qrd/archives/46alan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self destruction...

chacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chacha » Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 am

I'm getting kind of sick of my RE-20. It's way too easy to overload the buffer, even when I'm playing clean. It just doesn't sound good at that point. Plus, my best friend/bandmate loves it and uses it for his solo stuff. I think I'mma just let him keep it.

Anyone got any idea if a Disaster Transport JR or a Dispatch Master could give me a semblance of Sparhawk's live delay sounds? I know he uses a SIB, but they're hard to come by and pricey, from what I gather.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat May 18, 2013 10:59 am

chacha wrote:I'm getting kind of sick of my RE-20. It's way too easy to overload the buffer, even when I'm playing clean.
I know what you mean. That pedal is almost the coolest pedal, but it sounds HORRIBLE when it clips. It also has a weird feel to it, like you are plugged into a PA, rather than an amp. Sometimes this really bothers me (like when I'm playing with other people through my Deluxe and trying to tear it up) and sometimes it doesn't (like when I'm playing alone through my Vibro Champ doing ambient layering sound-on-sound kind of stuff.

There is something about how that delay and reverb decays though that lets you use a ton of it, but your guitar still is fairly clear. I wonder if it would be more fun if I used it in the FX loop of my Xotic X-Blender...

chacha wrote: It just doesn't sound good at that point. Plus, my best friend/bandmate loves it and uses it for his solo stuff. I think I'mma just let him keep it.
Loan it. If you are like me, you might wake up in the middle of the night and cry out for its weirdness.
chacha wrote: Anyone got any idea if a Disaster Transport JR or a Dispatch Master could give me a semblance of Sparhawk's live delay sounds? I know he uses a SIB, but they're hard to come by and pricey, from what I gather.
I'm not a fan of Earthquake pedals, but I just bought a Diamond Pedals Quantum Leap which is just f'ing AMAZING. There's all kinds of weird stuff in there- after all, flanging and chorus are nothing but very short, modulated delays causing comb filtering- but the two delay modes on it are wonderful. The voicings are wonderful and let you pile up the repeats without them getting in the way of what you are playing. It isn't cheap, but a tap tempo delay pedal is a wonderful thing. Check it out.

chacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chacha » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah, I have a really strong love/hate thing for that pedal. It was my first pedal, besides a DS-1 (which my cat peed on -- great for tonz.) I saved all of my money for it, and I loved the way it sounded playing by myself. Getting lost in space is super fun. I do wish I had an FX loop.

Buuuut my music style shifted to more Low and Neil Young influences. His shifted to spacey. Flip-flopped and it suits him better.

I'll look into that pedal. Cheers!

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat May 18, 2013 4:24 pm

chacha wrote:I'll look into that pedal. Cheers!
The Quantum Leap costs about the same as the digital space echo. It ain't cheap. Totally worth it. Not sure who, if anyone, sells them in Philly.

I've been pretty impressed with Diamond's pedals, actually- I have their J-Drive III, which is such a huge, wonderful change from my FullDrive2.

benadrian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benadrian » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I know this is not cool, high end gear, but the ibanez DE-7 delay (in echo mode) sounds a lot like Alan delay. Plus, they're still pretty cheap.

chacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chacha » Sat May 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Non-cool, non-high end is a plus for me. I work retail, so I'm suitably below the poverty line.

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm

chacha wrote:Non-cool, non-high end is a plus for me. I work retail, so I'm suitably below the poverty line.
I feel the pain, food service here. :unsure:

Something I dream about quite often...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiuFnDsMu5Y
Eight individual delays that can be run series or parallel. Pretty sure this could get some Sparhawk tones. 8)

chacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chacha » Tue May 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Think a Disaster Transport could get similar results?

(Sorry to derail the thread a bit. Every demo seems to only care about how ambient a delay can get or how U2 a delay can get. U2 stuff is lame, and ambient isn't quite what I'm looking for -- though I appreciate it, clearly.)

***Edit***

Settled on a Jack Deville Dark Echo off TGP. Really excited.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am

Since this seems to have turned into a good general-purpose Sparhawk thread, anyone know what he's using in Retribution Gospel Choir? 3 sounds amazing. :w00t:

percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by percnon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:58 am

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:Since this seems to have turned into a good general-purpose Sparhawk thread, anyone know what he's using in Retribution Gospel Choir? 3 sounds amazing.
Guitar-wise almost certainly his Les Paul with Rio Grande P90s. Amp, no idea. Pedals, probably his Zvex Octane by the sounds of it but there's a shedload of gain on that. I listened to that album - or that jam really! - the other day and it's great. He's really coming into his own as a guitarist as he gets older. Not many guitarists do that actually. Most seem to peak early and then just carry on at that level pretty much forever. Sparhawk's gotten way more ambitious with time.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 pm

percnon wrote:He's really coming into his own as a guitarist as he gets older. Not many guitarists do that actually. Most seem to peak early and then just carry on at that level pretty much forever. Sparhawk's gotten way more ambitious with time.
I agree- though I wish he'd unleash some of the guitar terror he did on "Great Destroyer" and "Drums and Guns" session live.

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm

ToneFerDayz!!1! wrote:Since this seems to have turned into a good general-purpose Sparhawk thread
Fair enough...

https://vimeo.com/40528522

Quick pedal board shot and drool worthy tones 30 seconds in... The intro to Canada is especially satisfying.

Pretty sure he had the Fender 1x15 combo when I first saw them in the early 00's. He was in a shit mood for the whole set and sounded extra great as memory serves.

My fandom mostly ended with The Great Destroyer but that could be my fault.

Excellent October musics...

edit: link
Last edited by LBx on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am

Worth checking out Solo Guitar for a different vibe if you haven't already:

Kind of an Ulaan Khol thing...