Any solid staters here?

Make it loud here.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any solid staters here?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:53 pm

While we're on the subject of SS amps I want to mention the experience I encountered at work the other day. I work in a rehab department of a skilled nursing facility and during an event they were holding for all of the residents the hosted a country band. Not really my thing but as I was walking down the hall I could hear the guitar player playing a chicken picking country blues bit, and I thought to myself "he's nailing that tone". It sounded good for what it was. I peer inside the room to see the guitarist playing a cheap shredder ibanez w/floyd rose on a princeton chorus with no effects. Not the tele and (insert fender tube amp) I envisioned. And i'm a gear enthusiast. just goes to show you how little sonic difference it makes. At least clean anyway.

Leonardo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Leonardo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:00 pm

New to this forum but been playing for 50 years. With that said, got to witness and watch amp history evolve. Made some mistakes along the way, like trading a blackface 65 Fender Twin for a Kustom tuck and roll amp. However, my amp farm includes some very nice SS amps. I also play pedal steel and my fav guitar/steel amp is a tube preamp with a Class D power section. Light to carry and plenty of juice with a very nice vibe.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:02 pm

I remember that Peavey solid state were/are really popular with country guys. Pedal Steel guys love em.
...they can get really loud and stay clean and with some of them being less dynamic than tube amps, I guess it's almost like they have a built in compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRqIH5sJmTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the bit about the owner of Kustom losing the business in a poker game was pretty funny. Cool amps!

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 am

repoman wrote:I remember that Peavey solid state were/are really popular with country guys. Pedal Steel guys love em.
...they can get really loud and stay clean and with some of them being less dynamic than tube amps, I guess it's almost like they have a built in compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRqIH5sJmTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the bit about the owner of Kustom losing the business in a poker game was pretty funny. Cool amps!
Wow! 3x15"!
- Mitch

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:11 am

This is the best SS amp that I've ever heard in person. I have yet to hear a better or more versatile SS amp in person or otherwise.

Crate VTX200S

ruraldave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ruraldave » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:25 am

For a very long time a JC 120 was my go to amp. Over the years I've mainly been playing tube and have had a Ampeg Gemini I as my main amp for the last 7 years. Recently I've been longing for my JC but after looking at the new prices It was out of my $ range! So now I have best of both world. I picked up a non working Fender Bass 100 a year ago (just had a bad ground) and a fender 4 x 12 cab for under $400 US), and run in stereo with a Yamaha G100 (15") that a friend picked up at a garage sale for $20 in the 90's.
short answer
yes with an 'if'
long answer
no with a 'but'

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:53 pm

repoman wrote:A SS amp that I'd like to get my hands on is a H&H IC100, Marc Bolan used them a lot. I think the Buzzcocks guy and Yngwie Malmsteen used em too.
I stumbled across the Buzzcocks guitar sound a while back more or less by accident while messing around with my H/H V-S Musician. The IC100 is great too, but for my money the V-S is the one if you want the amp, rather than pedals, to bring the dirt. That said, I was playing my IC100 through a Marshall 4x12 at the weekend and it roared nicely even without an OD pedal in the chain.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 am

I am really leaning toward getting a 100+ watt SS head (non-modeling), so I can keep the model t as a studio amp. because I am frugal (aka cheap as hell), i'm shooting for something in the sub $200-300 range. it has to have great cleans, but take dirt pedals like a champ and have some warmth in the process.

some heads that have caught my eye/ear are:
peavey transtube supreme
fender m-80
ibanez toneblaster 100 (for reals)
Randall rg100es/dime dh100
h&k vortex
various vintage Acoustic amps

are there any others i should be keeping an eye on? There are tons of other Randall heads that seem interesting, but I can't really find any good Randall geeks to explain the differences.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:56 am

RuffiansFC wrote:I am really leaning toward getting a 100+ watt SS head (non-modeling), so I can keep the model t as a studio amp. because I am frugal (aka cheap as hell), i'm shooting for something in the sub $200-300 range. it has to have great cleans, but take dirt pedals like a champ and have some warmth in the process.

peavey transtube supreme
fender m-80
h&k vortex

are there any others i should be keeping an eye on? There are tons of other Randall heads that seem interesting, but I can't really find any good Randall geeks to explain the differences.
The new Orange Crush Pros are pretty freakin' sweet! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ro&index=1
- Mitch

ruraldave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ruraldave » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:47 am

RuffiansFC wrote:I am really leaning toward getting a 100+ watt SS head (non-modeling), so I can keep the model t as a studio amp. because I am frugal (aka cheap as hell), i'm shooting for something in the sub $200-300 range. it has to have great cleans, but take dirt pedals like a champ and have some warmth in the process.

peavey transtube supreme
fender m-80
h&k vortex

I think the Fender Champion SS series are nice they do have a modeling thing going on but I used the Clean JC120 setting and it was great.
short answer
yes with an 'if'
long answer
no with a 'but'

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:59 am

rhythmjones wrote:

peavey transtube supreme
fender m-80
h&k vortex

The new Orange Crush Pros are pretty freakin' sweet! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ro&index=1
that is what i'd really want to have, but the sooner I get this amp off of the road the better. the orange seems like it'd be great live and in the studio, but I'm a bit weary of the digital reverb. im not an analog snob, but i'd love to avoid as much digital-based stuff as possible. it's easier to replace a $15 reverb tank than that thing goofing.

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Sat May 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Yup yup. As of today...

Traynor TS-10

Image Image Image
Last edited by LBx on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun May 28, 2017 2:24 pm

I've never cared for the sound of SS Amps.

I've had some & got rid of them all except for an SS Champ Amp. Didn't like it much either but it was cheap, small & light. Thought it we be good for travel.

One day I read about a guy who put one of those cheap $29.00 Art Tube Pre Amps in the Signal Chain. I happened to have one & tried it. The 12AX7 in the Art Tube Pre Amp warmed up the sound pretty good & gave it a power boost. Great inexpensive fix to the not so great SS Sound. IMO

Lars

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon May 29, 2017 12:41 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
repoman wrote:A SS amp that I'd like to get my hands on is a H&H IC100, Marc Bolan used them a lot. I think the Buzzcocks guy and Yngwie Malmsteen used em too.
I stumbled across the Buzzcocks guitar sound a while back more or less by accident while messing around with my H/H V-S Musician. The IC100 is great too, but for my money the V-S is the one if you want the amp, rather than pedals, to bring the dirt. That said, I was playing my IC100 through a Marshall 4x12 at the weekend and it roared nicely even without an OD pedal in the chain.
I picked up one of these VS heads a couple weeks ago, über-cheap cuz of rough shape. But the tone is to die for!!! I was playing the Explorer thru this one and an old 4x12 yesterday - all of a sudden, 2 hours had passed! It's so versatile, and the Valve Sound thing is glorious!!!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 pm