Trading a JCM 800 for a Two Rock...

Make it loud here.
slothjones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Trading a JCM 800 for a Two Rock...

Post by slothjones » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 am

So I put my '81 JCM800 on another forum up for trade... nothing wrong with it, I just want to try something new. A guy has offered me a Two Rock Ruby in perfect condition. I play mostly rock/spacy stuff in small/medium clubs... this amp is pretty hard to find (I think there were only 35 or 50 made) so it's hard for me to find people who have owned or heard one. Anyways, you guys have any advice? Should I go with it or hold on to the JCM?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Trading a JCM 800 for a Two Rock...

Post by mjet » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:09 pm

I wasn't familiar with Two-Rock amps but I found this about the Ruby, which might help others who are as ignorant as I am/was:
Ruby

At last, an amp for the tone purist-a no frills single channel tone machine! Classic rock tones, incredible chime and dynamics, complete overdrive control from your guitar’s volume knob. 2 El 34s, 35 watts, loads of gain and crunch-but we didn’t stop there. We added a master volume and effects loop-bypassable for the purist, or in circuit for fat lead tones at low volumes without a power soak, plus the ability to add delay, reverb, etc. to the mix!

35 watt EL34 single channel, effects loop
Price: $2995.00
Seems to me that it certainly makes sense from a financial perspective over the JCM800. Have you played through it?

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

slothjones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by slothjones » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 pm

I know it's worth more than the JCM (their current used price is about $1700-2000 from what i gather) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better amp  ;)

I could trade and then flip the amp for cash but I'm very fond of my JCM 800. I'd be doing this to get a new playing amp, not to make some money. Thanks for the insight though.

EDIT -- No, I haven't played through it, the owner and I are in different parts of the country.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Are the Two-Rocks modeled on a particular amp, or are they kind of a "fusion" of different models? Not knowing anything about them it's hard for me to know where they fit in the Matchless-type price category (and appearance).
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

slothjones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by slothjones » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Many two rocks are made after the Trainwreck / Dumbly type of sound. This is was their "rock" experiment.. 2xEL34 Class A 35 watts I believe. Rumor was that Two Rock somehow managed to get a hold of Trainwreck's tranny maker and ordered 50 before getting caught. That's about all I've found so far.. and I can't find a single person who's come across/played one.