Help for repairing a friend's amp

Make it loud here.
Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help for repairing a friend's amp

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:51 am

As the title suggests, here at home I have an amp (marshall Valvestate model 8080) of a friend of mine for repair. Since he knows I like messing with that thing of problems he has brought it to me and so now I'm giving it a look..
The basic problem is that no sounds comes out (if cranked totally to the max you can hear a very very low signal coming out of the speakers, something impercettible).
-I've checked the pre-amp stage running it into another amp from the fx out and it works fine.(so the problem should be in the output stage)
-Once opened the amp for ispection I've found two big caps that are litteraly desoldered, one of these looked damaged so I've changed them both. Anyway the problem isn't solved yet, still no sound.
- With a better inspection of the bottom of the pcb I've found that just under some big resistors (I presume they are for the output stage) there's an orange halo, something like when you heat PCBs and the protective coat burns away, the whole area under them looks browned too..the resistors look good anyway, they doesn't show any damage, I could change them but maybe I won't solve the problem..

I've already tested them with a multimeter, it says 0.00 when I connect the two plugs..but since I'm new about checking resistors with a mutlimeter I'm not sure if I'm right..I've tried measuring small .25W resistors and I can measure them all, but this big ones always say 0.00 to me.. ???
BTW
My question is: Is it safe to check all the circuit with the meter while  the amp is under power as I usually do when I get problems with stompboxes?
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help for repairing a friend's amp

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:55 am

Sorry I can't be of further help on the issue - but I would definitely NOT do that unless I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: Sorry I can't be of further help on the issue - but I would definitely NOT do that unless I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.
Well, I know the better solution will be a tech, but before going in that way I think I could give it a try if we're talking about replacing some burned resistors..right?
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:20 am

Man, I just don't want you to get fried (real concern here) - maybe wait until the guys with amp knowledge chime in?

Anyone?

M

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:01 am

Superfuzz wrote:
My question is: Is it safe to check all the circuit with the meter while  the amp is under power as I usually do when I get problems with stompboxes?
This is the only part where I'd suggest some caution. I would think it's far more risky to prod around a powered up amp than a guitar pedal.
Don't toast yourself man. ehhh...
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:25 am

You don't need power to check the resistors.  If they say zero then they are probably zero ohms or no resistance (that or infinite resistance) meaning they are open.  I would replace them.  You only need power on an amp when your probing for voltages and then must be VERY careful obviously.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Jay's right, you shouldn't need voltage to check the resistors.
Superfuzz wrote: My question is: Is it safe to check all the circuit with the meter while  the amp is under power as I usually do when I get problems with stompboxes?
PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

Seriously, if you're not clear what you're doing you can kill yourself easily enough.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:57 pm

NEVER CHECK RESISTANCE WITH POWER CONNECTED!!!!!  You can burn up your meter and possibly yourself. Some resistors need to be removed from the board to check them due to the circuit designs. Just remove one side from the board and then put the meter across the resistor. Also make sure that there is no power in the caps before sticking your hand in there. Obviously you have to check voltage and current with power applied.
Don't worry too much about electrocuting yourself, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. When you have power turned on use a gator clip on the negative lead and clip it to ground. Then take your left hand (or whichever hand isn't your dominant hand) and stick it behind your back. I used to hold onto my belt until I got used to it, that way if you do get electrocuted, the power won't go directly through your heart. Usually when resistors burn up, they show as open though.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:36 am

Hey guys, I'm calling you from  paradise, oh well, from the hell( 8))..so I've checked the amp and I get fried.. :o

Ok, stupid joke  ;), I was suspecting that going in that way is dangerous..but just to be sure.. :)
BTW, when I get the time I'll try do desolder one leg of the resistor and I'll try to check it again, if it's 0.00 again..I'll replace it for sure..

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:25 am

Well, it's dangerous, but as long as you work on it smartly, there is no reason to fear. Just make sure that all the caps are properly dissipated before sticking your hands inside, and use the one hand rule when energized.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 am

here's a pic of the suspected resistors..
Last edited by Superfuzz on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm

well, it definitely looks bad, but I have seen worse that still function. Some resistors, get real hot, and they are designed to take some punishment.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

pullover wrote: well, it definitely looks bad, but I have seen worse that still function. Some resistors, get real hot, and they are designed to take some punishment.
So they might be fine? :o

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:19 am

Superfuzz wrote: So they might be fine? :o
Yup, MIGHT be, Only way to know for sure is to pull up one side of the resistor and measure across it. It's not uncommon to see heat stress around those power resistors.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:50 am

Glad to see you're still there, man!  8)