met a new best friend, he's 40, black-faced, and has "the tone"

Make it loud here.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

met a new best friend, he's 40, black-faced, and has "the tone"

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 pm

A few friends and I walked into the local GC (one I used to work at). Now I normally don't expect much that I would really be interested in (they haven't had a Jazzmaster for years, it's sad really), but being a Tele man I usually have no problems finding something to play around with. Now while I am making my rounds, I happen to notice something quite fantastic: A 60s blackfaded Fender Bassman head with matching 2x12 cab (largest 2x12 I have ever seen, it dwarfed most of the 4x12s!). Now obviously I had to plug in, having never actually met a Fender Bassman in person.

... hoo boy.

If ever something had "the tone", I think it was this. It was everything I ever really wanted out of a Fender Clean, and it didn't even have onboard reverb! It was crisp, flexible, and just lovely lovely lovely. Basses sounded fantastic (duh I guess) through it too.

Needless to say, when the 12 month financing comes back, I'm going to be barking up their tree about it. Totally fantastic.

Anyone else have one of these and could testify to their awesomeness?

also, kind of dumb question, but any particular reason as to why the cabs were built that big back then, and if it'd be worth trying to find another if I happen to lose this particular deal?

-Steve
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: met a new best friend, he's 40, black-faced, and has "the tone"

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:15 am

hey what's up?  Someone else in my area, cool :-)    I just got our '69 bassman head redone and it's amazing!   anyway, there's a guy that makes amazing fender cabs for cheap.  I have his business card somewhere.  He had made me a custom Blonde head cabinet for my super reverb.  It was only $125... then he offered me a matching cab for only $200!   Very pro made with solid pine just like the originals.  Email me if your interested. 
Last edited by OffYourFace on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am

I might be buying a 66 bassman piggyback amp and cab from a friend, hopefully for cheap, with brand new tubes. He says there is pretty much no clean tone on it. Should sound amazing. He just sold a 65 dual showman with 2x15 cab for probably really cheap. I wanted both as I really need a clean amp but I didn't get to him in time to buy the showman. :(

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 pm

it's kind of funny that this thread finally picked up. It's actually out of date now if you check down to my other post (regarding my purchase of a Fender Bassman 70).

and as for being in your area, offyourface, yes! MA rules. Check out the store I mention in my other post, I think you'd dig it.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Cool, i just replied to it.  i've been there