Re: Ear problems?

Make it loud here.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 21, 2007 10:25 pm

jetset wrote: Another suggestion that has worked for me is to gig with lower wattage amps.  I use an old JMI Vox Ac15 for most venues.  Almost all places I play mike your amp anyway, and the lower power gets you to the ear pleasing tube distortion without the ear damaging volume.  I'll pull out the AC30 for larger halls or outdoor gigs, but for most, the 15 watts is plenty.
-J
That's a good idea.  I think my  SF Twin is overkill most of the time!  I GASed for one for so long, and it's too loud!! ::)  I still love it, though.  I'm thinking Deluxe Reverb RI.  I'm guitar poor at the moment, though!!  My Hot Rod Deluxe is good for now, though
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

jeremy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jeremy » Tue May 22, 2007 7:01 am

I use these: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
they look similar to the hearos, maybe a bit better quality...

same company also makes the ones you need to get fitted by an audiologist, which I might look into eventually, they look very good

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
That's a good idea.  I think my  SF Twin is overkill most of the time!  I GASed for one for so long, and it's too loud!! ::)  I still love it, though.  I'm thinking Deluxe Reverb RI.  I'm guitar poor at the moment, though!!  My Hot Rod Deluxe is good for now, though
I owned an SF twin for about a month.  It was too frickin' loud and heavy.  It even had the JBL's in it which are like the loudest clean speakers in the universe.  These days for Fender tones I use a Bandmaster Reverb built into a 2x10 combo - around 35 watts and easy to haul around.  If you want clean Fender tones without the high volume, you can use a lower wattage amp with efficient speakers like the JBL's or a Weber clone - you'll still get a little tube distortion but no speaker breakup.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Tue May 22, 2007 7:40 pm

The booming bass is really damaging to ears - all that bass sound pressure beats the shit out of your eardrums.
Stand off to the side of the speakers, never directly in front of them, where the bass is loudest.
I went to a concert with my son - I think it was XTREME, sometime in the 80's or early 90's and my ears rung for a week. Never again.
Once you are deaf you may as welll throw away or sell your guitar.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed May 23, 2007 2:50 am

It seems to me it's the highs that kill me!  That piercing Fender Twin tone!! 8)  Hehehe....  I can definitely see where the bass could "beat the shit" ;D out of your eardrums though!

Or, it could be John Bonham? ???

Damn kids, get off my lawn!