speaker sizes

Make it loud here.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: speaker sizes

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 am

Pumpkin, what a great post .. I knew all that but I've never seen it so well explained before.

8)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:46 pm

No problems!

I found the drawings on yahoo image search,best explanation i ever seen as well.

mudhoney
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mudhoney » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:13 am

luau wrote:
Weber Speaker Q&A wrote: Jim Marshall, the man who gave us the world's most emulated sealed box guitar amp speaker enclosure, was recently interviewed by a popular guitar magazine. In the interview, he stated that the dimensions for his cabinet were dictated by the smallest practical cabinet that would fit 4-12" speakers. Evidently, no thought whatsoever was given to the acoustical properties of the cabinet.
Scroll down for the question that starts with " I don't know alot about guitar speaker cabinet design".
OK, I see we have a communication problem, what I wanted to say is that if you put the speakers itsef to close, and the above quotation is telling you the same thing "he stated that the dimensions for his cabinet were dictated by the smallest practical cabinet that would fit 4-12" speakers."

If someone opens a marshall cabinet, one can see that there is still space beetween the speakers themselves. so if this qoutaton is true you can not make the 4X12 box smaller? luau I feel you know a great deal about theese things?

I am not a sound cabinet expert/designer/whatever but I have seen may things IRL not read about them on www, that is why I used the marshall example...everyone knows it and everybody copied it wheter they like to admit or not :)

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:25 am

No, I'm no expert on this at all mudhoney and certainly don't mean to portray myself as one. I'm an excellent internet searcher (occupational hazard) and an avid reader (occupational hazard)  though. The mystery you bring up is just that: a mystery. I'd *guess* the reason that the speakers are spaced as they are in a Marshall has more to do with the structural, and not aural, integrity of the baffle. Speakers are heavy. This would be a constraint on idiotbear's cabinet as well that, honestly, I figured was assumed. Nobody wants a saggy baffle. :)
Bigger in sum than parts.