Do I need a new amp? Help, please!

Make it loud here.
Sebastian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Do I need a new amp? Help, please!

Post by Sebastian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:54 am

OK, I love the sound of my Marshall DSL50 (though I prefer my old 1959SLP, but it had to go as it was far too loud in almost every situation, even with two EL34s removed!!!!), but sometimes I think of being more flexible with a smaller setup... I already sold my old 4x12 and bought a 2x12 instead. I also found out that only the classic Marshall head + cabinet combination sounds "good", all those Marshall combo amps somehow don't work for me. And I had many amps and never found a better amp than a Marshall for all my fuzz/overdrive/distortion boxes until now.

When we gig with other bands in smaller venues, most of their guitarists have a little combo amp, one guitar, two or three stomp boxes, that's it. Now I need three instruments, a huge pedalboard, and this damn big two-piece old school halfstack (or maybe quarterstack, with the 2x12 ;) ) Don't get me wrong, I really love the sound, but I feel more and more uncomfortable when transporting the whole equipment of the band in one car. And sometimes I want a smaller setup on stage - so should I start with the biggest part, do I need a new amp?  ???

I think of a 1x12 or 2x12 combo amp that works for both: my Jags AND the Bass VI. I already tried some of the usual suspects: Vox AC30 - no balls & too much mids. Mesa Boogie F50 - smooth, nice, but far too expensive here in Germany. Fender Twin reissue - too big, too loud and too clean. I like a slightly overdriven basic sound (think of John Frusciante in "Under The Bridge"), only one channel - OK, maybe a second one (for different volume, not distortion), Reverb effect. I never tried the Deluxe Reverb reissue, it may be good for the Jags, but only 22 Watts for the VI? I don't know...  :(

Which amp would you recommend? Should I keep my Marshall? Thanks for your help! :)
"Es ist alles wieder offen" - Blixa Bargeld

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Do I need a new amp? Help, please!

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Only a Marshall sounds like a Marshall...If you are looking for that specific tone, that's the only place you'll find it. 
Have you tried the Marshall combos?  They probably sound good, but combos don't seem Marshalley  :-[ enough to me...If that means anything to you.

If you use pedals for OD and Distortion, a Fender Pro Reverb might be good.  40 or 70 watts...  2-12's 
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/pro_reverb_sf.html

If you are looking to go budget, you could try a Hot Rod Deluxe.  Some people talk badly of them, but I gigged one for over a year (70+ shows)  with no probs. 

The Peavey XXX combos are cool.  Built in effects. 

I do like their ValveKing series, also.  Very budget, like 100 watt 2-12 tube combo  $619.99 from MF.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=481443

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:10 pm

zhivago is selling his Tremolux that is housed in a 2x10" cab - check it out in the for sale ads. It's US voltage but it is already in Europe so shipping would be reasonable and no customs...

index.php?topic=3814.0

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:10 pm

the thing you need to ask yourself "Is the sound I am getting enough to warrant carrying all of this gear around?" We could tell you anything, but in the end it is your choice.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.