I need help, need a head

Make it loud here.
mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I need help, need a head

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:43 am

Ok, ive decided that even though i love love love my peavey classic 50, shes not loud enough for my needs. i decided to give her the boot and pick up a head for my marshall 1965b.

now, the cab is 8 ohms and can handle 140 watts.
at my work we have a peavey valveking head for $440 (i get everything at cost)

it sounds pretty decent but its got alot of stuff i wont use (resonance knob, im not a big fan of how it looks) but it sounds great.

ive been reading up on the tiny terror, but i doubt it will be loud enough (clean) for me to use.

i was thinking about selling the marshall and peavey and saving a little and getting a silverface twin amp, but i dont think ill be doing, especially since ill be without an amp for a while, plus i gotta find one thats in good condition and blah blah blah.

can you guys reccomend me a good amp head for the cab? i am leaning towards 100 watts, but anything really loud. i prefer two channels, built in reverb would be perfect, an effects loop would be cool but i dont need one really. thanks for the help guys. any suggestions will be helpful!!!
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need help, need a head

Post by pullover » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 am

What kind of massive auditorium are you playing where a 50 watt tube amp isn't enough? Seriously, I don't see why that wouldn't be enough for any need. If you need more volume, just mic it.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am

I completely agree with what Pullover said - I find my 40W blues deluxe to be way too loud for most of the places that we play (around 200-300 capacity). The only venue we ever played where the wattage was just right was a 600-capacity venue. Any larger than that and the monitoring setup should be more than adequate for your needs.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:54 pm

to be honest i have no idea. it seems like its not loud. it might be my ears or something but for some reason it just doesnt seem loud to me.
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:10 pm

maybe it'll be cheaper to just put some more efficient speakers in there?

also, are the tubes in good condition?

I mean, I play a Fender Tremolux...that's 35 watts, and it's pretty loud with a full band.....and we'd rock pretty hard, I was keeping up with a drummer, a bass amp, and a Hiwatt combo,
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:32 pm

mewithoutus wrote: i am leaning towards 100 watts, but anything really loud. i prefer two channels, built in reverb would be perfect, an effects loop would be cool but i dont need one really. thanks for the help guys. any suggestions will be helpful!!!
sounds like an Orange Rockerverb would suit your needs. they come in both 100 and 50 watt versions. i tried one about a year ago and i really liked it, although i'm usually a single channel kinda guy.
http://www.orangeamps.com/rocker/

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 pm

I like big amps but I usually don't get to crank them. I think it all comes down to what you're using them for. If you want a bunch of breakup then sure, 15-30 watts is more than enough in a lot of cases. But with a good master volume like on my 120 watt Orange, I can still get the sounds I like at lower volume (preamp dirt, not poweramp usually). For pushing low frequencies, I find that all the extra headroom can really make a difference in keeping things tight enough and clean when you want it. Otherwise, it can be hard to really pummel a guitar and keep things from breaking up, especially with some mean pickups like in a Travis Bean.

All that said, if you are going for high wattage still, check out the 120 watt Sound Citys and possibly the 135 watt silverface Bassmans. Neither is the greatest sounding, but they are definitely loud  :D  Both are still pretty cheap too. Beyond those, the Orange AD140s are nice (and not as loud as you would think). If you could end up going that route at some point, check out the older Oranges and some of the mid '70s Matamps. I know you were looking at Ampegs and those would be perfect too.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:49 pm

yeah, the Sound City 120s are horribly loud. i wonder if mine will be as loud with a hiwatt preamp.. :-\

while we're talking SC, the Tour Series could be worth checking out, they are generally considered better sounding amps than the L120/B120s, plus they've got a master volume, and two footswitchable channels. http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eiktoblikto ... page_9.htm