favorite kt88 guitar amps?

Make it loud here.
Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: favorite kt88 guitar amps?

Post by Tafarel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 am

The other guitarist in my old band had a Sound City 50 plus that someone had reconfirgued to take two KT88 valves. That thing was insanely loud -- couldn't turn the volume control past two without obliterating our ear drums. He didn't keep it long, although when we tried the bass guitar through it the sound was very tight and brilliant. It sounded much like a piano.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

jbuckner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: favorite kt88 guitar amps?

Post by jbuckner » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am

I have a kit head that runs KT88's that I picked up a few years ago. I'm unsure of what the amp actually is as it's two channels (clean & dirty) I'm thinking that it's a two-channel JCM 800 clone. I run it through a 74' Marshall B cab, and it's super woofy on the bass side. Any notes on the low E string feedbacks uncontrollably with any type of volume. I'm currently running the bass control on both channels at like 2-3 because of the uncontrollable bass that the Low E produces. Dirty side is very JCM 800'ish meaning that there's not a ton of gain at lower volumes, if you max all the tone controls on the dirty side it produces more gain at bedroom levels. I'm almost afraid to hear what these tubes can do at higher levels.

Outside of that, the KT88's are great, powerful tubes, that have crystalline highs along with the deep bass. Loud clean is piano like and very full sounding, just my two cents on that the matter.