New favorite amp...

Make it loud here.
flatfiver
Expat
Expat

New favorite amp...

Post by flatfiver » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:59 pm

...and it's a Crate! :o

We got a V3112 in the store yesterday and I am blown away!  This thing sounds awesome.  The clean side is nice and sparkly with a lot of depth.  The dirty side is capable of the sparkly but really barks too.  Lots of clarity even with the distortion way up.  30 watts Class A, 12" Tone Tubby hemp-cone speaker.  The knobs and everything feel more substantial than most of the other amps from this series that I've seen.  I'm hoping that's a standard improvement across the line.  I was also under the impression that Crate & Ampeg were sending all their production overseas, but this amp still says Made In USA.  Maybe it's older stock.

This thing could probably give one of the AC30CCs a serious run for its money.  I'm having a hard time not bringing it home.

http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=106
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New favorite amp...

Post by Pumpkin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:57 am

Cool,i really like this one head 2x12

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Re: New favorite amp...

Post by flatfiver » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:59 pm

We've got one of those in the store, too :).  The head I like a lot, the cab not so much.  I've heard the head through a Mesa/Boogie 2x12 and a Crate 1x12 and thought it sounded real good.  It's kind of weird, since the matching Crate 2x12 has the same Tone Tubby speakers as the combo - maybe they don't like the closed-back cab.  The combo seems to be built much better than the head (which has been around for a while).
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance