67 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Make it loud here.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

67 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:56 am

How much should one expect to pay for a 67 Deluxe Reverb? 

I was out cruising pawn shops yesterday,  when I came across one.  It looked to be pretty nice.  Until I saw the tag I thought it was a 65 reissue.  According to the tag, it is vintage 1967. I didn't look inside, though.  They wanted $2500. :o  That seems about double what they should go for to me.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 67 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:06 am

I've noticed the distinction between blue book value and street value. Though that price isn't too bad for a good condition DR. I would say $1700-$2000 is a price that I commonly see for a blackface Deluxe.

I would say if you really want it, can afford it, and won't settle for a silverface that you grab it.
That being said, you can buy a great repro DR from several builders today for far less than that. If you're not into the collecting aspect of music gear, you should consider that option as well. The exactness to detail and quality of work is far above a reissue or even some of those sold on ebay.

Chris
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 am

I'd rather have a Twin Reverb, but I just saw it and wondered.  I probably would settle for a silverface, but who knows. All I know is I want one! :-*  I love my Hot Rod Deluxe, but it just doesn't have the headroom I'm looking for.  It would probably sound better through a 2-12 cab, or with a different speaker, but it still would break up at lower volumes.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:16 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: I'd rather have a Twin Reverb, but I just saw it and wondered.  I probably would settle for a silverface, but who knows. All I know is I want one! :-*  I love my Hot Rod Deluxe, but it just doesn't have the headroom I'm looking for.  It would probably sound better through a 2-12 cab, or with a different speaker, but it still would break up at lower volumes.
!
Yeah, the Deluxe Reverb is certainly not a twin - it's different for each guitarist.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

dltinter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dltinter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:49 pm

A Deluxe Reverb will run 1600.00 to 2700.00 depending on condition. I have a chance to buy one at the present time for 1650.00 but the grill cloth has been replaced with the same type as original and 1 transformer replaced. Needs tubes also. 

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:18 pm

I played through an absolute CHERRY blackface Deluxe Reverb this weekend and I was absolutely amazed at how great it sounded.  I'm GASing for one hard now.  This one didn't have a price tag on it but the very nice Silverface sitting on top of it was $1200 and didn't compare favorably at all.  Far more compressed and sterile sounding with a less pleasing breakup.  So who's building a real good copy these days?  I'd love some links.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Jay wrote: I played through an absolute CHERRY blackface Deluxe Reverb this weekend and I was absolutely amazed at how great it sounded.  I'm GASing for one hard now.  This one didn't have a price tag on it but the very nice Silverface sitting on top of it was $1200 and didn't compare favorably at all.  Far more compressed and sterile sounding with a less pleasing breakup.  So who's building a real good copy these days?  I'd love some links.
$1200 for a SF in average to sub-average condition is just absurd.  ;D  That amp will either never sell or will sell to someone who does not know enough about fender amps.
There are so many clone makers out there today, that you'll have to be a little discerning. I prefer paying just a little more for someone I trust to make an exact copy, and to make it using quality parts and assembly.

That being said, I think you'll find www.cpamps.com and www.marshamps.com to be two great resources for the Deluxe clone.
Plus, both offer fully assembled amps as well.

I can certainly say that both guys are great with communication. Plus, they use THE best parts you'll want in a DR.
Best of luck.

Best of luck.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Actually the silverface was easily in excellent to above excellent condition.  There was only one scar in the tolex on a corner and otheriwse it looked great.  It sounded nowhere near the same though.  I'm sure with some parts swapping and adjustments it could be made to sound pretty close to the blackface though I have a feeling the speaker had something to do with it as well.  The price didn't seem too out of line (if it was negotiable) with what they sell for on eBay.  I'm saving up for one of some sort it's just I'm not sure what yet.  I can build one from a kit as I've successfully built an 18 watter myself, but I'd rather have something with some resale value this time I think.  Plus I'd love to have a real '65 Deluxe to go with my '65 JM.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 am

Jay wrote: Actually the silverface was easily in excellent to above excellent condition.  There was only one scar in the tolex on a corner and otheriwse it looked great.  It sounded nowhere near the same though.  I'm sure with some parts swapping and adjustments it could be made to sound pretty close to the blackface though I have a feeling the speaker had something to do with it as well.  The price didn't seem too out of line (if it was negotiable) with what they sell for on eBay.  I'm saving up for one of some sort it's just I'm not sure what yet.  I can build one from a kit as I've successfully built an 18 watter myself, but I'd rather have something with some resale value this time I think.  Plus I'd love to have a real '65 Deluxe to go with my '65 JM.
Oh, my mistake. I misread your post. I thought you stated that the sivlerface was roughed up, and it sounded bad.  :D I was going to say...
That being said, $1200 for a good condition silverface is still very high. I've seen at least a dozen SF deluxe amps sell under $1K in the past two weeks. Unless I hear $1K from the shop as my price, I would bail. If you have to upgrade parts, you'd be looking at $1500-$1700 depending on labor costs. At that point, you'll never recoup your expenses--vintage or not.

On the other hand, I know what you mean about owning a vintage instrument. Each day I am more convinced that I should save for a vintage Jagua. I want to buy a cheap CIJ model that I can upgrade to vintage specs, yet I'll always have a need for the original classic. Unfortunately, it will cost me a lot of money.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:31 pm

I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

dltinter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dltinter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Killer amp. I have a 1965 Vibro Champ, A 1967 Princeton Reverb and looking now for a Blackface Deluxe Reverb.